Can you convert to a Manual Locking Hub(s) ?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Can you convert to a Manual Locking Hub(s) ?

Post by Blaze One »

I was reading about manual hubs , and there positives , Can we S10 with the Autotrac/electronic 4wd setups do it ?
Benifits being , Better Gas Miliage , less "wear and tear" and a positive lock .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Can you convert to a Manual Locking Hub(s) ?

Post by F9K9 »

Blaze One wrote:I was reading about manual hubs , and there positives , Can we S10 with the Autotrac/electronic 4wd setups do it ?
Benifits being , Better Gas Miliage , less "wear and tear" and a positive lock .
I believe that only SFAs (solid front axles) are able to do this and it is not possible in our IFS setups.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I belive it could be possible, but it would require different bearings, spindles, etc. I'm pretty sure it would be very expensive as most parts would have to be custom made. Pluse the question arises if you could get a locking hub inside the bolt circle, or if you would need a larger bolt circle and that means different rims.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ok never mind then , i just saw that a 99 izuzu trooper can have them , and that lots of parts are the same for our s10's as the troopers , so thought it may be possible . Thanks anyways/
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I think you are thinking of the Hombre. The hombre pickup is nothing more than an S-10 with different sheet metal.

The trooper on the other hand is a SUV that from what I know shares nothing with the S-Series line of vehicles.

I could be wrong though.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]