Bad Tie-Rod????

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Bad Tie-Rod????

Post by doughboy5499 »

OK, Recently I have noticed a knocking type noise in my drivers side wheel. Ever since it has been cold it has been doing this. I got out in the middle of a snow storm on Thanksgiving evening to see what the heck it was. I cranked my wheel all the way to the left and looked to see if I could see anything but nothing :? . I grabbed on to the tie-rod and pulled on it and I heard the noise. So I assume it was right there. It warmed up abit and the noise went away. But as it got colder again it came back and has been getting worse. I pulled the tire off and noticed that there was no grease in the boot so I went through and did all the boots I could get to. The noise decreased but did not totally go away. Does anybody have any ideas? Could this be the tie-rod or maybe something else. :?: I wanna take it in some place just for them to tell me what the problem is and if it is not too hard i would just assume fixing it myself but dunno.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you can grab the tie rod and move it at all, or if it makes a clunk noise when moving it, then I would say it needs to be replaced. Unlike wheel bearings and ball joints, the tie rods should not have any play in them. Take it to a local alignment shop and tell them you want the tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, and center link checked for excessive wear. Once they tell you what's wrong replace the parts yourself and then have in re-aligned. A suspension inspection shouldn't cost very much. :wink:

Steve
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

When I pull on it I do not see any movement. Everything looks OK. I only hear the noise. Just 2 days ago it warmed up over freezing and it does not do it again.