torsion bar ?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

torsion bar ?

Post by bwenny247 »

i hope someone can understand what i'm asking :oops:
do the torsion bars pivot up and down with suspension travel, or do they always keep in the same position? I know they're locked into the torsion bar crossmember at mid truck. it doesn't seem like they should move because they're tied into the front lower control arm, right?

anybody follow that? lol, i hope so :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The front of the bars do travel up and down a little , since the pivot point for the lower a-arms is just inside the point at which the torsion bars enter the a-arms.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

PHEW! somebody understood all my babble. lol
Thanks HJ :D

what would you estimate the furthest that front end would move down, would it move straight down, or down/in or down/out? seems that it would move down and in

working up something tricky of my own...hehehe :D
thanks again
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It does travel fore and aft slightly, but primarily in an arc inward as the vehicle rises.
If I had to guess we are only talking about maybe an inch of travel from top (bottomed out) to bottom (shocks maxed) overall.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yah i have never understood torsion bars at all. it doesnt make sense to me :S lol
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]