Rear cover bolt size

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Rear cover bolt size

Post by Tribecrist »

I was thinking about using stainless steel socket head cap screws for my rear cover .Does anyone know the size .Is it M8 x ??mm .
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Actually I think they are 5/16 NC. The stock bolts were just uner 1" long, and the SS bolts that I had on my old cover were 3/4" long.

I am not absolutely sure so hopefully Jim can confirm that they are indeed standard, not metric.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

I found this really cool place that can apply a colored hammer finish to the cover but the sales man told me that year 2001 had two different rears i was thinking a zr2 is different then mine but they didnt make a zr2 in 2001.

www.purplecranium.com
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

I did read the thread about the holes that are covered on each side of the housing face by the stock gasket.This site also have the slotted out gaskets.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tribecrist wrote:...sales man told me that year 2001 had two different rears i was thinking a zr2 is different then mine but they didnt make a zr2 in 2001...
The RPO ZR2 option was available in 2001. Not for the crewcabs , of course. They have the 8.5" differential as do some of the fullsize.
The covers do differ. Ours is the 7.625" and is the same cover as the 7.5" going back to at least 1982.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:Actually I think they are 5/16 NC. The stock bolts were just uner 1" long, and the SS bolts that I had on my old cover were 3/4" long.

I am not absolutely sure so hopefully Jim can confirm that they are indeed standard, not metric.
Bolts are SAE
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Thanks HenryJ
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Thanks Jim