Hoping I just need a cap & rotor

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Hoping I just need a cap & rotor

Post by Jim »

In the past several days I've noticed a slight hesitation (only three times) when pulling away from stop about 30 stop lights. I have 32,000 miles on it and after reading posts I think I'm over due.
What kind of symptoms have any of you had that were distributer related?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little harder to start when the cap and rotor deteriorate. There may be a drop in mileage as well. When they get really bad misfires become apparent.
Don't make problems for yourself! Be sure to read this page- Plastic Distributor. Don't turn a tune up into a Distributor Replacement
It would also be a good idea to check the plugs as well. While they may make it to the 100k service, I doubt that it will start on the first bump of the starter ;)

While you're under the hood, you might want to check that throttle body for carbon deposits.

Mine doesn't get nearly as many deposits since I added the EGR limiter, but before I was cleaning it every 5000 mi. It will present with an uneven idle speed and sticky throttle.

I'm sure you have serviced that fuel filter, but that is another likely problem for a hesitant starting condition.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:A little harder to start when the cap and rotor deteriorate. There may be a drop in mileage as well. When they get really bad misfires become apparent.
Don't make problems for yourself! Be sure to read this page- Plastic Distributor. Don't turn a tune up into a Distributor Replacement
It would also be a good idea to check the plugs as well. While they may make it to the 100k service, I doubt that it will start on the first bump of the starter ;)

While you're under the hood, you might want to check that throttle body for carbon deposits.

Mine doesn't get nearly as many deposits since I added the EGR limiter, but before I was cleaning it every 5000 mi. It will present with an uneven idle speed and sticky throttle.

I'm sure you have serviced that fuel filter, but that is another likely problem for a hesitant starting condition.
I did the filter a few months ago. I am familiar with the plastic distributor as I was reading your post about the distributor I was thinking about making a thread chase by slotting an old screw. I think the 02's didn't have an EGR valve. My truck has always had a slight misfire at idle off and on one day smooth next day miss since new, the Service Engine light has never come on. lately I have noticed you can feel the power loss when the AC is on, I never used to notice. Also when hot I takes more than a tap from the starter to fire up. What are good caps I have an AutoZone, Pep Boys & the $$$ Chevy dealer or this source for AC Delcohttp://rockauto.com?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:...I was thinking about making a thread chase by slotting an old screw.
That is a good idea, and be sure to clean the thread locking compound off of the new screws. Plastic distributors do not need the locking compound.
I think the 02's didn't have an EGR valve....
I believe you do still have an EGR system, however it is internal and no longer regulated by a valve on the front of the intake. Take the "turtle" off of the throttle body. Check the back side of the throttle blade and throttle bore for carbon deposits. You can soak a rag in cleaner and wipe it down as best that you can. Then spray the rest down the intake.
What are good caps...
They all SUCK! I can believe some of the crap that they try to sell! I'm sorry for the language , but this situation really pisses me off. The technology is out there and they have just gone CHEAP on us! It is pretty bad when a cap from the late sixties is better than anything that you can buy today.
You are going to have to try to make the best of what is out there.

Avoid the aluminum terminals if you can. They just oxidize too quickly. Steel is better, but offers a higher resistance and tends to corrode with moisture. Brass is nice , but rarely available today. The sad thing is when you find a really nice cap with brass contacts, the rotor is a pressed together piece of junk that will never last.
Look for a rotor with a nice thick contact that has a piece over it holding it securely. Do not settle for one with the tiny plastic pins just barely melted to hold it. They loosen and cause problems.

Open the box and check the parts! I have seen more than one new cap cracked, terminals pressed in backwards, loose contacts, contacts missing, etc. Don't settle for defective parts.

I used to say AC Delco was the way to go. Their rotor looks better than most. But, I got a cracked cap, and one with the terminal pressed in backward. This has shaken my confidence in their quality control.
Absolutely stay away from Echlin (NAPA) ignition parts. Their quality control went in the "dumper" a long time ago. I also have a real problem with being lied to by their sales people and techs. (sorry to bring some personal feeling in to this). Their parts are substandard to say the least.
Niehoff offers a gray cap that looks pretty good, having brass contacts, but the rotor is a poor design. I also suspect that they may be "in bed" with Echlin, so their quality may also be in decline.

What to do...I know this will sound crazy, but the Wells brand looks almost identical to the AC Delco caps and rotors.The AC Delco , or Wells caps use steel contacts, but the rotor is of a better design than most. The Wells brand is cheaper too.
Now if money is not a concern for your truck you can invest (another word for throwing money at...) in the Wells Gold Line cap and rotor. They are expensive, but from what I have seen in other models well worth the extra expense.
I have not had one of the Wells Gold Line caps and rotors "in hand" yet, but that is my plan for the next tune-up.
Accel is another option. I like their caps from what I have used on the HenryJ, as well as others. However I have not seen one for our trucks yet either.

Personally I would take a look at the prices for Accel and Wells Gold. If the Wells is cheaper and can be purchased locally , I would order one for inspection. If there are doubts , then order an Accel cap to check it out. If those are questionable, go cheap with the Wells standard.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I got what I thought was a Wells...at least that's what they said when I ordered it at the desk. They brought me boxes that said Duralast on them? I bought it anyway not having seen what the inside of mine looks like to compare. The inside of the cap looks identical to the delco the rotor has the thingy attached with good sized melted plastic pins. I didn't try a magnet on the conductors in the cap to see if they were steel. Looks like all junk to me :shock: If you ever held a Bosch cap in your hand you would know quality, both the Delco & Duralast(Wells) are crap. There is enough of our 4.3's out there someone should make decent parts by the time I need to change this thing next time. I used the old screws over they came out clean the new ones had locktite in them.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I finally found the Wells Gold Line cap and rotor kit. Part # DR2030G - $52.99 through Autozone, or try this link
PROFESSIONAL GOLD LINE, RED CAP & ROTOR WITH BRASS
INSERTS.

I will be trying it on my next tune-up.

I had been looking for the cap only part number DR978G , and was unable to find it available. The kit is available though :roll:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Unfortunately, when I plug in my zip and truck's year it tell me that it is not available :(
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Unfortunately, when I plug in my zip and truck's year it tell me that it is not available :(
That must just be due to an error in the catalog. If you look down they list the same DR978 cap.

The DR2030G cap and rotor kit is listed for up to 2001 and the same DR978 cap is also shown. Now, we know that they have not changed through 2004, right? ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Searching autozone by part number works and it is listed at $49.99, Thanks :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
cronkm

Post by cronkm »

Here is another option that lists a 2001 4.3.
http://store.yahoo.com/hm-performance/actrtukifoch.html
2002 S10 CC, 2" BL, 1.25" Rear Spacers, K&N FIPK, HP III, Flowmaster Muffler, Folding Bed Cover, Skid Plates, Aluminum Rear Dif Cover, Gabriel Shocks, Granatelli MAF, Upgraded Sound system
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

cronkm wrote:Here is another option that lists a 2001 4.3.
http://store.yahoo.com/hm-performance/actrtukifoch.html

Have you tried them?
I have not personally seen them, although the other Accell products that I have used are of good quality.

For someone needing to upgrade all of the components, this might be a good option, although you could get the Wells gold kit, Taylor wires and a set of plugs for a comparable price.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Have you tried them?
Yep...Been Running That Accel Kit On The 4.3 In My Astro For About 3 Years Now And I Replaced The Factory Coil With The Accel Coil Also.
Don't Know If There Was A Big Performance Increase But It Runs Smooth And I Havent Had Any Problems So Far.....And If You Think Changing Plugs In The S-10 Is Fun Try Doing It On The Astro :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
cronkm

Post by cronkm »

I haven't tried them but will be replacing all those parts this year. I will probably add a msd also.

I had a 90 Astro and changed the plugs once. What a pain in the a.
2002 S10 CC, 2" BL, 1.25" Rear Spacers, K&N FIPK, HP III, Flowmaster Muffler, Folding Bed Cover, Skid Plates, Aluminum Rear Dif Cover, Gabriel Shocks, Granatelli MAF, Upgraded Sound system
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hold the presses! There is a new number one!

more information-

Distributor Cap and Rotor - Comparison and review
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

ok so whats the new # 1
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my 2004 has this style did this just start in 04 are the later year s the same and can I replace it with the type that the wires connect at the top ?
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:... this style did this just start in 04 are the later year s the same and can I replace it with the type that the wires connect at the top ?
I think it started in 1996? There are no other options that I am aware of. You will have to stay with the "crab style" cap.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

almost looks harder to get to then that middle plug
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

great info ! thanks
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

Great info guys, this confirms my theory on what has been going on with my truck and the hard starts and the rough idle. I was going to do all this during Labor Day, but looks like I'll be headed to the auto parts store a bit early. I guess after 93K miles it is time.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't forget - Plastic Distributor

- ThunderII KE7CSK