odd noise after shut down

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

odd noise after shut down

Post by malkavian »

Heres one for you guys. I havent figured it out yet casue it seems it will only make the noise when I walk away from my truck. You know how a metal can or tank sounds when you pull a vacum on it and after the vacum is released it makes that ping noise when the tank wall pops back to it original shape?

Well after I shut her down and am walking away from her she makes that noise. I have tried getting under the truck and listening for it but she wont make the noise untill I get out from under the truck and start walking in. :roll: So anyone else here this noise?
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You might just be hearing the exhaust system cool down which makes a popping / ticking noise.

Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

maybe one of the heat shields along the exhaust. get hot expand, cool down contract... will make similar noise
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

its not the regular cooling sound of the exhaust. it could be a heat shield though. this weekend im not getting out from underneath it till i hear the noise and see where its comming from.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Have you done anything to make your truck mad lately? It seems like it is messing with you since it only makes the sound when you are walking away! :lol: Seriously though, the heat shields do sound like a good place to start.

Steve
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i know that my gpa had the same noise out of his lesabre when it was brand new it doesnt do it anymore i dont think but then again im not sure haha good luck let us know what it was bc i was always curious