Service Engine Light - how shut off???

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Service Engine Light - how shut off???

Post by quickbiker »

OK, went to my homeland to Pittsburgh and just got back. Lots of cold (12 deg) and snow by the way! :D . When I turned 51,102 miles, the "service engine soon" light came on. I haven't check my service manual yet. But I suppose it's just a matter of re-seting something. Anybody see this? Why would that light come on if you don't have to service it until 100k miles? Kinda stupid.

I also got some nice Anco winter blades for it (finally). The stock blades suck under 25 deg. My truck used to be green, it's now white from all the blasted salt! :x
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Scan the code. Then have it reset.
Most Auto parts stores will scan it for you then clear the codes.

You can just disconnect the battery for 3 minutes to reset the PCM, but I'd be curious as to what code was set.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Oh, so that's not normal for it to come on at 51k miles? Mmm, I'm curious no also. I don't like getting anybody buy myself involved with my truck. When ever somebody esle is involved, something get's hosed up. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah -- go get is scanned by the local auto-parts chain that says they offer free diagnostic service. Get them to give you the DTC code ( I think that stands for Diagnostic Trouble Code, and then we can look it up in the GM service manual for explanation and troubleshooting tips.

That's how I found that I didn't have a hose clamp tight enough on my fuel overflow line from when I did my bodylift -- the SES came on telling me there was low vacuum in the evaporative fuel system.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

SES lights are popular... Mine went on at 9,000 and the result was a new motor...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

OK, I give up, what's SES? And Ha! Anyhow, the daggone light went out while I was just out getting some movies (snow storm coming). So not only is chevy the most dependable truck on the road, it fixes itself! :lol:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

LOL -- sorry SES= "Service Engine Soon"
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah -- the one thing my buddy who works at an O'Riely's AutoParts store told me was that they can't red the code unless the light is actually on when you bring the vehicle in.

Next time you're out and about, and it comes on, if it ever does again, try to get it read right then. That way you know what the intermittent issue may be.

I still love the fact that not having your gas cap tight enough and cuse that SES light to come on.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:OK, I give up, what's SES? And Ha! Anyhow, the daggone light went out while I was just out getting some movies (snow storm coming). So not only is chevy the most dependable truck on the road, it fixes itself! :lol:
As long as you have it read before 50 ignition cycles it will be stored in memory.
The light stays lit while the problem exists, after it reaches a preset threashold, and for safety related problems.
If the problem no longer exists the light will deluminate , and the code is stored for a preset number of ignition cycles or 50 cycles whichever is less.
When you scan the vehicles DTC's you can read the stored codes and pending trouble codes, those that have yet to set the light and have not yet reached the threashold.
The data function will also show : ignition cycles since battery disconnect, misfires by cylinder #, etc.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Maybe I do need a new gas cap, it feels worn out. :?
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

It was probably just your chevy complaining about taking it to Pittsburgh!

I've given up, my truck's official color is white now, you can't fight the Pittsburgh salt trucks... I've lost every year of my life here.

You should get it read, at least to put your mind at ease. And if it is something serious, you can 'nip it in the bud' early before it gets expensive. Although, I'm a precautionary type (okay, paranoid). I've tripped lights in previous vehicles while traveling across severe weather/altitude changes... the code was always associated with an erroneous MAF reading. There was nothing wrong with my MAF, it was just too drastic of a change for the computer to believe. It reset itself on the next ignition cycle. The 'Cumberland Gap' of Maryland seemed to do it to me alot.

BTW, how's the weather in Arizona :lol: We have one inch of ice on top of four inches of snow... and... yep, it's still 'freezing rain'-ing.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Maybe one of these can read it? Which on is best?

JCwhitney Scanners

Made the long url a link-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Maybe one of these can read it? Which on is best?
I don't know about best , but I've been using the AutoXray for quite some time now.
I'm currently looking for something more. I'd like to be able to read transmission codes and ABS (brake system) codes too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Bluewasp
Regular
Regular

Post by Bluewasp »

quickbiker wrote:Maybe one of these can read it? Which on is best?

JCwhitney Scanners

Made the long url a link-HJ
I bought this one at autozone

ACTRON® OBD-II AUTOSCANNER™
For all 1996-2004 OBD-II-compliant vehicles. Get trouble codes from your on-board computer fast!

$159.99 (1 item)

I think I paid only $99.00 for it, but I could be wrong. I've used it many times on the vette. I have issues with 02 sensors going bad. The 96 corvette has 4 02 sensors. $60 bucks a piece too, ouch!!