Trim Height Measurements

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Trim Height Measurements

Post by killian96ss »

Split this topic to make it easier to find-HJ
HenryJ wrote:Don't get me wrong about the "T-bar crank" I don't recommend going much beyond the stock specs. Most I have found are way off, and below Z height specification as delivered.
If you have added weight to the front , changing the height yet again, you do need to adjust the T-bars just to get it back in the range it was designed to operate, or you suffer the same fate as those who take it too far. I'm betting that if what you describe is true , you are way below Z height spec.

I think the "T-bar crank" has a "bad rap" from those who go too far (if that can really be done with the stock indexers) . It is mearly an adjustment. If you have reservations about doing it, take it to a reputable alignment shop and have them do the "crank" adjusting them back to the stock Z height.
What is the Z height spec? Is there a certain amount of turns before bottoming out, or a specific number of threads showing, or is it just a measurement of ride height from the frame to the ground? Just curious, Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote: What is the Z height spec? Is there a certain amount of turns before bottoming out, or a specific number of threads showing, or is it just a measurement of ride height from the frame to the ground? Just curious, Steve
It is difficult to describe, so a made a page - Trim Height (from the 2001 Helm's Manual)
That should answer all your questions on Z height ;)

The main thing to remember is that you do not want to bottom the "porkchop" in the crossmember, or loosen it so far as to have the adjusting bolt out of the "porkchop's" socket.

EDIT: I guess I won't wait for someone to point out that the picture in the description is not the same as ours. The lower a-arm is on the top side of the spindle for our trucks.
This poses an interesting question. So where do I measure to now? Well take your best guess, I have yet to get the same answer twice. It is kind of a "gray" area, no one that I have talked to has the answer. Use your best judgement. If they try to deny a claim for warranty repairs, due to incorrect Z height specs., call BS on that! The book diagram and measurement points do not match the vehicle as produced, and there is plenty of room to justify an alternate point of measurement on the spindle/balljoint.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Do the dealerships have a chart or manual that describes where to take the measurements. Most do alignments, so I'm guessing they should know how to check for correct ride height. I know some dealers mechanics are not all that bright, but at least one of them out there should be able to tell us something. :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Do the dealerships have a chart or manual that describes where to take the measurements. Most do alignments, so I'm guessing they should know how to check for correct ride height.
Yes, the above information is exactly what they are working from. Same thing for the two alignment programs that I have seen , same diagram.

I'd really like to see another diagram and instructions specifically for the S-10 4x4 front suspension, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

As I said above I've heard several different "interpretations" ;)

Expanded the above link to include trim height specs for all s-series and D height inspection procedures, and added it to the stock info page.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK