Encoder Motor

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Encoder Motor

Post by marks10cc »

Well, finally got the truck back today. Over the last 2 weeks, they've had it overnight 5 times. I got a brand new transmission, transfer case, front driveprop and a rebuilt torque converter. Apparently, my encoder motor never engaged fully, and I just grinded these parts to shavings. Funny, never heard a noise or felt a vibration. Anyway, how often do these encoder motor's fail? I saw that GMSPO had them for around $310 and found a rebuild for about $135. I have a warranty for the next 2 years, just wondering what I can look forward to afterwards...

Oh... and how involved is it to change one of these things. I'd imagine the transfer case would need dropped if you didn't have the right tools laying around :(
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Encoder Motor

Post by Conman »

marks10cc wrote:Well, finally got the truck back today. Over the last 2 weeks, they've had it overnight 5 times. I got a brand new transmission, transfer case, front driveprop and a rebuilt torque converter. Apparently, my encoder motor never engaged fully, and I just grinded these parts to shavings. Funny, never heard a noise or felt a vibration. Anyway, how often do these encoder motor's fail? I saw that GMSPO had them for around $310 and found a rebuild for about $135. I have a warranty for the next 2 years, just wondering what I can look forward to afterwards...

Oh... and how involved is it to change one of these things. I'd imagine the transfer case would need dropped if you didn't have the right tools laying around :(
What was your problem? That is one nasty warranty job! Glad it was fixed.

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I can understand how you feel. After 9000 miles, check engine light came on and off. Brought it to the dealer 10 or so times for the same problem. I thought it was something simple so I didn't worry about it too much.

they thought it as the crank sensor for cylinder 4 because the computer was reading a misfire #4. The kept ordering shims to increase the gap, replaced plug and wire. Finally after 34000 miles ,23000 miles after the problem occurred, I handed the keys and told them this was the last time I would deal with this problem. After replacing the crank sensor, fuel injectors, spark plug, wires, cap, rotor and MAF, they were down to 2 options. Check points on camshaft?????? then replace the motor. After two months, shop chief technician, a GM field manager, and a free z-71 loaner, they called and told me they would replace the motor.

I've put about 4000 miles on the new motor and no problems, I have a new 36,000 mile warranty. GM is helpful you jut have to be persistant

hope everything works well for you :wink:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Encoder Motor

Post by marks10cc »

Conman wrote: What was your problem? That is one nasty warranty job! Glad it was fixed.
No idea. I know they replaced the transmission because of 'Above excessive metal shavings within fluid. Visual inspection revealed damage to major and secondary components'. I was never told why, though. The transfer case was stripped, they told me it was because the encoder motor never fully engaged, so I guess the clutches/splines were stripped. The front driveprop was 'Out of torque specifications'. I guess that damage can be linked to the transfer case? I have no idea what was wrong with my torque converter.

Well.. my 4x4 now works, the transmission doesn't slip, the 'ringing bell' sound under acceleration is gone, the clunk when gently pressing the accelerator while the truck was moving forward at about 2-7 MPH is gone now too. I guess that was from the lash of all the stripped, failing parts?

They also replaced my filler tube (2003 TSB about fuel spillage) and ordered a balance shaft replacement kit (TSB about 'knocking' between 1800 and 2200 RPM).

Warranty: 1 Year/7700 Miles down, 2 Years/28,300 Miles to go
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

"The front driveprop was 'Out of torque specifications':

Sounds like Service Manager-eese for - "billy-bob done stripped the bolt out when putting it back in."
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]