4 LO

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

MikeyZR5

4 LO

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Hey Fellas, When does 4LO come on...I mean, what needs to be done in order to be able to get into this. The reason I was asking is because I was messing with the truck today and I was able to go from 2 to 4HI, but when I pressed on 4LO, it just blinked and went back to 4HI.

Enlighten me!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

To shift to 4LO you must be stopped trans in neutral, then select 4LO.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:lol: oh and you have to roll the windows. down....J/k it got me too the first day I had it.
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Cool!!

Hey 2BUNIK, I tried that too!!! :lol: :lol:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i cant believe that didnt show you that at the dealer...

FYI: dont drive in 4wd on concrete, just in case you didnt know :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:i cant believe that didnt show you that at the dealer...

What about asphalt? :P :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:

yes assphault too :roll:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: 4 LO

Post by quickbiker »

MikeyZR5 wrote:Hey Fellas, When does 4LO come on...I mean, what needs to be done in order to be able to get into this. The reason I was asking is because I was messing with the truck today and I was able to go from 2 to 4HI, but when I pressed on 4LO, it just blinked and went back to 4HI.

Enlighten me!!
It operates just like the manual shift levers, but push button. Same thing.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Re: 4 LO

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:It operates just like the manual shift levers, but push button. Same thing.
Only the manual shift levers are more reliable!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That's for sure. That's what ya get to make the average lazy American happy. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

but come on guys -- by putting a button on the dash, it frees up all that room down on the tranny hump that you normally put your.......ummm.......er.......hmmmmm....your....

Ok so it wasnt in the way -- sue me :-)

Actually my dad keeps a drink koozie on his in his Z71.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Why cant you drive 4wd on concrete or ashphalt? Sorry for my newby-ness
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

MikeyZR5 wrote:Why cant you drive 4wd on concrete or ashphalt? Sorry for my newby-ness
You can if you install a vicsious coupler on the front drive shaft. That's what I would do if I was building a low rider like a few people in here. Would make an awesome pavement grab'n street fighter!
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

The reason I was asking is because we get Slushy ICE on the roads and was wunderin if I could use 4wd.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It's all about keeping all four wheels spinning at exactly the same speed. So, if you engaged 4wd on dry hard surface, DO NOT TURN. Long as you stay on soft wet/slippery surfaces where wheels can slip to compensate for differences in speed, you'll be a'ight.

*edit: although, for slushy conditions... unless you're stuck... I'd think you'd be better off in 4hi. you'll get the traction you're looking for without lowering gear ratio. slippery sufaces are about maintaining constant speed not so much about power.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Cool...thanks for the info. Once we get some ICE here, i will snap a few pics for you all to enjoy... :lol: :lol:
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

quickbiker wrote:You can if you install a vicsious coupler on the front drive shaft. That's what I would do if I was building a low rider like a few people in here. Would make an awesome pavement grab'n street fighter!
Know of one that fits??? :D :D :D 8)
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I remember a website from a few years ago that made them. They would custom fit any front drive shaft. My personal opinion is that you would have to get a good shaft from Tom woods to handle some good power to it. If I come accross it, I will post.
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by KYLE »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:

:oops: YEAH! about a month after i got my crew i must of hit the four high button shifting into drive and didn't notice and drove about 35 miles on the freeway :x doing 85 :x IN FOUR HIGH :x and i started smelling something coming from the AC :x YEAH IT WAS ON TOO :x ON HIGH :x WITH A TRUCK FULL OF FRIENDS TO WEIGH US DOWN :x so i checked my guages and noticed what i had done :!: what kind of damage could i have done? I haven't noticed any problems.
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

LOL -- I drove 3 hours away to Tyler, TX to pick up a an old VW Karmann Ghia chassis and body and a collection of other parts, and it was raining. I had to use 4 high to get the trailer out of the field once we got it loaded down.

I made it from Tyler back to Shreveport, LA (200 miles) before I realized that I had never taken the truck out of 4Hi. At least it was pouring rain the whole time, and I was mostly going in straight lines.

There should be some safety feature put in that if you engage Cruise Control the 4wd disengages or something.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

KYLE wrote:
a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote: What about asphalt? :P :mrgreen:

:oops: YEAH! about a month after i got my crew i must of hit the four high button shifting into drive and didn't notice and drove about 35 miles on the freeway :x doing 85 :x IN FOUR HIGH :x and i started smelling something coming from the AC :x YEAH IT WAS ON TOO :x ON HIGH :x WITH A TRUCK FULL OF FRIENDS TO WEIGH US DOWN :x so i checked my guages and noticed what i had done :!: what kind of damage could i have done? I haven't noticed any problems.
your fine....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

adrenalnjunky wrote:LOL -- I drove 3 hours away to Tyler, TX to pick up a an old VW Karmann Ghia chassis and body and a collection of other parts, and it was raining. I had to use 4 high to get the trailer out of the field once we got it loaded down.

I made it from Tyler back to Shreveport, LA (200 miles) before I realized that I had never taken the truck out of 4Hi. At least it was pouring rain the whole time, and I was mostly going in straight lines.

There should be some safety feature put in that if you engage Cruise Control the 4wd disengages or something.
You shouldn't use cruise in the rain anyway. If your truck starts to hydroplane or wheels slip your dead.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Never heard that one before - any time my truck slips in the rain the cruise turns off anyway -- every vehicle that I have owned with cruise control has acted the same way.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Never heard that one before - any time my truck slips in the rain the cruise turns off anyway -- every vehicle that I have owned with cruise control has acted the same way.
It's the same principal as driving on snow covered roads, would you use the cruise then?

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

No -- but you wouldn't try driving 70+ mph on a snow covered highway. I do drive normal speeds in normal rain on the interstate.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

adrenalnjunky wrote:No -- but you wouldn't try driving 70+ mph on a snow covered highway. I do drive normal speeds in normal rain on the interstate.
sure why not :lol: but in a snowcovered highway i am in 4hi
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:I remember a website from a few years ago that made them. They would custom fit any front drive shaft. My personal opinion is that you would have to get a good shaft from Tom woods to handle some good power to it. If I come accross it, I will post.
I did some digging on the web and all I could come up with was a coupler made by Milemarker and was called a "selectdrive" or something like that. It would be cool to have something where you could have full time 4wd and be able to lock out the coupler for serious crawling off road but I don't think it works that way. Did anyone ever look into converting transfer cases over to the full time ones that some of the ZR2's and Blazers came with?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

What's the big deal using cruise control in nasty weather? I do it all the time. If you see a bad, slippery curve or danger, just shut it off. It's just common sense, you woun't keep it gassed in a hairpin turn going very fast. I use cruise all the time in wet, snow, whatever.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

quickbiker wrote:What's the big deal using cruise control in nasty weather? I do it all the time. If you see a bad, slippery curve or danger, just shut it off. It's just common sense, you woun't keep it gassed in a hairpin turn going very fast. I use cruise all the time in wet, snow, whatever.
The problem with using cruise in winter is you cannot always see black ice. It doesn't take a curve to put you in the ditch. With black ice you can be going in a straight line and it will suck you off the road into the ditch or turn you sideways enough that once you hit dry pavement or less icy road your rolling over, or in a dangerous skid which will put you in the ditch. With our part time full time 4wd (it disengages on its own if it wants to then re-engages even if 4hi is selected) you don't know when you have 4hi and you don't.

Come drive out in real winter country and see all the people who use cruise in their rightful places, the ditch. I pull people out in the winter once in a while when I have spare time, 65-75% of them were using their cruise control when I ask. The other 25-35% were just going to fast.

I feel safer when I see people in the ditch, it says to me that these people were driving out of their league and now that they are out of the way the road is a safer place for me.

jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

howdy, so, sorry for the interruption but, i was just wondering what you mean by the 4wd only working part time, i thought it was in as long as the button was lit up, :bounce: im confusededed
jeremy
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

jeremy wrote:howdy, so, sorry for the interruption but, i was just wondering what you mean by the 4wd only working part time, i thought it was in as long as the button was lit up, :bounce: im confusededed
jeremy
Parttime means you can't use it all the time like with a true All Wheel Drive system. AWD systems normally have some sort of center diff to allow the front and rear axles to "slip" so it does not bind when used on dry roads.

So when it means parttime, it means you can't use 4wd all the time(hence parttime). If you want to see what I mean, goto an empty parking lot big enough so you can make a tight circle turn. Do a circle turn without 4wd on. Then turn 4wd on and try to make the same turn. What should happen is that the front wheels are trying to turn at the same rate as the rear wheels and the truck will "hop" or bind. This is where a AWD system will let the front and rear axles turn at different speeds so it won't bind.

Now the only issue with parttime is when can and cannot use it.
My rule of thumb on use:
Dry roads: 2wd only
dirt road: 4wd ok
2"+ snow on road: 4wd ok
wet road or slightly snow covered: Fine line on if you can use 4wd safely.

Sometimes when I want the traction, I put it in 4wd, but if i'm about to make a sharp turn, I put it in 2wd, make the turn, then put it back in 4wd. I normally do this in the summer so the 4wd parts get's lubed up.

BTW, I used 4wd on the highway last Tuesday cause of the slushy highway roads. Worked fine esp since highways don't have hard turns. But downfall is that it really sucked down gas. It was worth it cause I saw 12 spinouts on that 150mile road trip.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

well, thank god for the four wheel drive :P , i see what you were saying though, i thought you were tyring to say when the 4wd is engaged it tends to go in and out of opertaion, ive never owned a truck so bare with me.
jeremy