Transmission Problems

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

jeramey_pa

Transmission Problems

Post by jeramey_pa »

NEW TSB ABOUT 01 CREW TRANSMISSIONS

First off I'm glad I found this site about a month ago, I've been reading like crazy, I'm so glad I found out about Body Lifts and etc. I'm going to order one within the next month most likely, I just have to decide what to do first.

Secondly, I have approximately 22K on my truck. I found the post about the fuel gauge problem and called my dealer and told them to get whatever they needed to fix it, because I've said it was off since it had 100 miles on it. And I also asked them to look at my transmission.

For the past 3 weeks it has started a definate "LAG" between reverse and Drive. Then last week when I was at a stop sign/light when I would apply the throttle it would lag, grab D and go.

My dealer advised me that a Brand New TSB about the Crew Transmissions is out. They have to do major diagnostics and tear the whole Transmission apart. NOTE: This TSB is so *new* it supposedly hasnt gone thru the Legal Department. They gave me back my truck, but they are going to call their Field Rep. to check with him before they proceed on this.

I just wanted to let everyone know, and anyone who still has a 01 might want to get his checked b4 the warranty runs out. And again Great Site.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

people say that our transmissions are pretty strong. I have never heard of your problem. Although sometimes my transmission is harsh from 1st to 2nd. I'm assuming a B&M shift improver can handle that
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mine did lag when new but has not in a long time. It was more confused like it was in the wrong gear then downshift to the correct one. This normally happened only if I was going highway speed, then slow down, but not stop and start up again.

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya my tranny has been acting funny...time to do something about it before i breaks and leaves me high and dry..

and welcome to the site :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I had a problem with mine at 10,000km's. The engine would rev to about 2500 and then the transmission would grab. They couldn't figure out what it was, they replaced the valve body and various other parts. That didn't work, they ended up replacing the entire thing, housing and all which is very rare unless you blow chunks through the casing.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Welcome to the site! Yea, get all you can get fixed before the warrenty runs out. I've never had problems, but problems vary. I've got my line pressure up with the HPPIII also.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

First of all the 4L60E trannys are not strong at all, and are prone to failures especially behind V-8's. A good upgrade would be the 4L65E tranny from GM Goodwrench. This tranny has the same case, but much improved internal components allowing it to have a 400 ft. pound rating. The only problem I've had with my 4L60E after 24k miles is it sometimes has a very mushy 1-2 shift, kind of like it lags a little between shifts. I have the same tranny in my 96 Impala SS with the Transgo shift kit, and it performs much better that my S10 tranny. The Hypertech PPIII and B&M shift improver both offer line pressure increases, but this is not the best answer for improving shift timing or firmer shifts. I have seen several trannys begin to leak because of the increased line pressures. The best option for the 4L60E is the Transgo shift kit. It is much more involved and time consuming to do, but the results are far better performance and better overall reliability. I am very interested to here what exactly this TSB is all about.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

killian96ss wrote:First of all the 4L60E trannys are not strong at all, and are prone to failures especially behind V-8's. A good upgrade would be the 4L65E tranny from GM Goodwrench. This tranny has the same case, but much improved internal components allowing it to have a 400 ft. pound rating. The only problem I've had with my 4L60E after 24k miles is it sometimes has a very mushy 1-2 shift, kind of like it lags a little between shifts. I have the same tranny in my 96 Impala SS with the Transgo shift kit, and it performs much better that my S10 tranny. The Hypertech PPIII and B&M shift improver both offer line pressure increases, but this is not the best answer for improving shift timing or firmer shifts. I have seen several trannys begin to leak because of the increased line pressures. The best option for the 4L60E is the Transgo shift kit. It is much more involved and time consuming to do, but the results are far better performance and better overall reliability. I am very interested to here what exactly this TSB is all about.
I had the TransGo in my 99 Z28 also. That thing rocked! I had it installed at maximum firmness, and it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift all the time. It was great.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

killian96ss wrote:First of all the 4L60E trannys are not strong at all, and are prone to failures especially behind V-8's. A good upgrade would be the 4L65E tranny from GM Goodwrench. This tranny has the same case, but much improved internal components allowing it to have a 400 ft. pound rating. The only problem I've had with my 4L60E after 24k miles is it sometimes has a very mushy 1-2 shift, kind of like it lags a little between shifts. I have the same tranny in my 96 Impala SS with the Transgo shift kit, and it performs much better that my S10 tranny. The Hypertech PPIII and B&M shift improver both offer line pressure increases, but this is not the best answer for improving shift timing or firmer shifts. I have seen several trannys begin to leak because of the increased line pressures. The best option for the 4L60E is the Transgo shift kit. It is much more involved and time consuming to do, but the results are far better performance and better overall reliability. I am very interested to here what exactly this TSB is all about.
Is the 4L65E a completely drop in or is there mods to the electronics or other?

Thanks,
Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Conman wrote:Is the 4L65E a completely drop in or is there mods to the electronics or other?
The only thing that you should have to do is swap the wiring harness from your tranny to the 4L65E. This might sound hard, but it isn't, it should only take about 30 minutes or so. The 4L65E was originally developed for the Z06 Corvette, but as most people know the Z06 is only available with a manual tranny. If you go to the GM Goodwrench site there should be an article on it. The 4L65E also comes with a 2300 stall converter, which is real close to the S10 converters stall speed.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

killian96ss wrote:
Conman wrote:Is the 4L65E a completely drop in or is there mods to the electronics or other?
The only thing that you should have to do is swap the wiring harness from your tranny to the 4L65E. This might sound hard, but it isn't, it should only take about 30 minutes or so. The 4L65E was originally developed for the Z06 Corvette, but as most people know the Z06 is only available with a manual tranny. If you go to the GM Goodwrench site there should be an article on it. The 4L65E also comes with a 2300 stall converter, which is real close to the S10 converters stall speed.
Thanks for the info. Interesting info. The good thing about parts bin sharing! :) Good info for someone out of warranty who needs a new tranny. Sould like if you ever did the SuperCharger, the 4L65E would be the matching tranny.

Con
jeramey_pa

****UPDATE****

Post by jeramey_pa »

:evil: ---= UPDATE =--- :twisted:

So after a call to Chevrolet Headquarters GM cannot release the TSB to the dealer because it has not gone thru the Legal Department.

MY dealer got really shitty when I called them, because I had called about the scratch they put in my truck, and when I called them back and busted their chops about my tranny they decided to play games and start all over acting like they knew nothing so I offered to bring it in 2 more times (all that is needed before it's a Lemon in the Great State of Washington)
They didnt like that and started playing games so I called GM.

Now the lady (nice) is trying to get them to release the specifications for this repair to the service department.

Side Note: After CHEV HQ Called, my dealer the service manager decided to call and apologize and now gives me a update every few days.

I'll keep you posted.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

the 4l65e would be a direct drop in if you had a two wheel drive truck. With a foru wheel drive you nedd to change the output shaft in the tail section of the transmission. This requires a complete tear down of the transmission as this is the first piece to go in and the last piece to come out in a transmission, it would be very labour intensive and should only be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Sorry for the bad news.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Dragonmaster wrote:the 4l65e would be a direct drop in if you had a two wheel drive truck. With a foru wheel drive you nedd to change the output shaft in the tail section of the transmission. This requires a complete tear down of the transmission as this is the first piece to go in and the last piece to come out in a transmission, it would be very labour intensive and should only be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.
Dragonmaster, you are right about the output shaft. I ran into this problem once when I put a TH350 from a Z-28 into a 78 Blazer that also had a TH350. All I did was swap the internals from one tranny to the other. This whole process only took me about 1 hour to do, and the tranny in that Blazer has been going strong now for 5 years. However, like you said, if your not very familiar with transmissions do not attempt a swap like this.
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Does this apply to '03's???

My truck goes in Monday at 8:30 AM. The slipping has gotten out of control, but something new has happend. When I am stopped dead, and switch between Park or Netral into Drive or Reverse, the whole truck dips to the left as two (sometimes three) large 'KABAMMM's come from underneath. The sound seems to come from closer to the engine than the transfer case. I wonder if this is the same thing. I have 7700 miles, and it didn't get bad until it really started slipping at 4000.

I can duplicate the slip every time the tranny is warm. Just go up a hill and let off the accelerator until the truck HAS to shift from 2nd to 1st. The damn thing will race all the way to 3K rpm sometimes before it catches. I'm afraid I'll get the run-around. I have my doubts because I asked the guy to change my rear dif and he told me 7700 isn't enough miles to do that yet, I said I have the posi, he said doesn't matter... I said even with a G80? He said the new synthetic additive will last 15K... I will have to show him the page IN THE OWNER'S manual. Frustrating, isn't it?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

kinda sounds like you have a torque converter going on you.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I know nothing about tranny's... but that's exactly what I thought too. Only reason I say that is because when I go down a hill at highway speeds, say 55 MPH, and let off the accelerator... and the MPH start climbing, there's a huge 'clunk' that comes from the front and it's like something let's my wheels loose. Also, I can feel the truck shifting into first when I stop at a stop sign or red light, that's new. At first I thought it was my breaks, but I don't think it is. I'm not even gonna bother telling this guy I think it's the TqCv, I'll just take it elsewhere if they give it back to me that afternoon.

What about a torque converter can cuase this? Isn't it just fans and fluid? I hope I don't get a 'rebuilt' tranny... if it's gone, I want a new one. 7700 miles, I should get it.

What's that number for GM Warranty Division? I'm gettin my ducks in a row.
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Got my truck back today....

1. They couldn't duplicate the slipping
2. The load 'BANG' was considered 'normal operation'.

BUT!!! Even after they swore up and down they did nothing, it doesn't slip and the noise has gone away. Why would they lie? They did do something. I need to inspect closer, but there was some tranny fluid by the cross member (they opened it up) and there some new red thing on my alternator. I think there's a TSB out there that they won't even tell me about, but after speaking with AAMCO today (cause the dealer told me nothing was wrong, I was gonna take it there), my problem was definately line pressure. Could this cap be some sort of elec. feed to ensure the line pressure is always at a correct level?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

marks10cc wrote:Got my truck back today....

1. They couldn't duplicate the slipping
2. The load 'BANG' was considered 'normal operation'.

BUT!!! Even after they swore up and down they did nothing, it doesn't slip and the noise has gone away. Why would they lie? They did do something. I need to inspect closer, but there was some tranny fluid by the cross member (they opened it up) and there some new red thing on my alternator. I think there's a TSB out there that they won't even tell me about, but after speaking with AAMCO today (cause the dealer told me nothing was wrong, I was gonna take it there), my problem was definately line pressure. Could this cap be some sort of elec. feed to ensure the line pressure is always at a correct level?
Man, good luck. IMO, the tranny in my S-10 is the best automatic I've ever had. It's great in every way and then some.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:ya my tranny has been acting funny...time to do something about it before i breaks and leaves me high and dry..

and welcome to the site :wink:
it wouldnt be the first time u were left dry
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

From what I have seen our trannys are really strong. people use them in there jeep trail rigs, running a 350 motor, our 4l60e tranny, and dana 60s with 42" TSLs.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:IMO, the tranny in my S-10 is the best automatic I've ever had. It's great in every way and then some.
Ahem... :roll: ...Do we need to go back and check some posts , before the HPPIII ?

I do agree that the trans. , with a little help (cooler, programmer, proper ratio rear axle, etc. ) IMO, is pretty good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

As far as reliability and strength the best GM trannys in order are the 4L80E, TH400, 4L65E, TH350, (4L60, 4L60E, 700R4 all the same), and the 200R4. The 4L60E is not a bad tranny, but it does have some weak points that are prone to failure. A good heavy duty rebuild makes this tranny much better and reliable. If you search other forums with cars that use the 4L60E you will see how many people have blown these trannys to pieces because they are not that good in stock form. I have personally blown one up and seen others fail in friends cars. I'm guessing that the reason some people here feel that this is a good tranny is because the Vortec 6 cylinder does'nt have enough power or torque to cause these same problems, at least until later in it's life.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

but they also puts the 4l60e behind the LS1 :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:but they also puts the 4l60e behind the LS1 :wink:
And I haven't heard of any real serious problems with them. I've heard of plenty of people blowing out rear ends, but never trannies.

They do need a good shift kit to really work the way they should though.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

a2b wrote:but they also puts the 4l60e behind the LS1 :wink:
That's true, but the LS1's are even better at destroying these trannys than the LT1's or older 350's. V-8 torque seems to be the main killer of these trannys which is why most S10 owners are not having the same problems. I still believe that the Transgo shift kit is by far the best improvement that can be made to the 4L60E, aside from having it rebuilt with heavy duty internals. Most companies that rebuild these trannys will even recommend or use the Transgo kit. When I did this mod to my 96 Impala SS I was very impressed with how much better it shifted. The kit gives you several options on shift firmness so you can tailor it to your needs. The only thing I didn't like about the kit was that it took an entire day to install, and you have to be very careful about reassembling everything. One cool thing about the S10 set up is the torque converter. Most S10 converters have about a 2000 rpm stall rating and dampening springs for the converter lock up which reduces shutter when it locks up. Most stock converters on the Impalas and Camaros stall at 1400 rpm which really sucks for the V-8's power band plus they don't have those dampening springs. This is the reason why so many V-8 owners with the 4L60E are actually using S10 converters, well that and there not that expensive like some aftermarket ones.