Stock Radio Size

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stock Radio Size

Post by Snotick »

Does anyone know what size the factory stereo is in the CC's. I just purchased a 2002 w/ the CD/Cassette Double Din Unit. I was thinking about swapping it out for a DVD/GPS 7" touch screen unit. When I checked Crutchfields, it shows a limited # of head units that will fit. Crutchfield also listed a depth of 5 13/32"? Is that correct? I was just wondering if anyone had removed the stock stereo and could tell me how deep the unit is. I dont really want to tear everything apart just to find out this info.
Thanks in advance.
Also thanks for all the info on this sight. I just purchased my CC this past weekend. Due in large part to all the info I was able to find on this site.
This may be my first post, but definately wont be my last
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

You could have a din and a half size opening not double din, you will need an adapter kit to install a single din in the dash. We have a short mounting depth in the dash without some removal of the rear mounting bracket and possibly some heat forming of the air ducts.
Last edited by 04crewvt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I think I have a double din size opening, my CC was built later in 2002. I believe the opening is 4" tall
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I new I could find the photo and the thread
Imagehttp://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... radio+size
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

i looked at that photo before too. Is the stereo on the left a 1.5 din and the one on the right a double din ??
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

yes the 2001-2003 mid year had the slightly smaller size opening it plays havoc on finding an after market HU they smartened up and made the change mid 2003.

Oops it appears I got it off by a half year the double din came out late 2002 model production :oops:
Last edited by 04crewvt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

then I have a double din in my 2002, because I have the one pictured on the right. It has both the cd and cassette in the head unit. Not the cassette mounted below the dash by the console. It still doesnt get me any closer to finding the depth of a stock head unit. I have been trying to find specs on the Kenwood DDX-7015. Someone on here had pics of this unit mounted with little mod, just an install kit. But I cannot find the dimensions of this unit.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The possibility exists a previous owner swapped out the entire dash trim and did the mods in the dash to fit it but it is definitely not stock if it has a double din opening. The other possibility is a different factory radio was available in a different model with the cassette deck in the dash and it was swapped out.

I should know better than to try and do 4 things at the same time on the computer. I didn't re-read the other thread completely and missed the info on the late 2002 change over it indeed could be stock. :oops:
Last edited by 04crewvt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I suppose that anything is possible, but this truck is bone stock, with no other mods. I dont think that the previous owner would have done all those mods just to replace the radio with another factory GM radio. Wouldnt he also have to alter the center console under the dash to remove the cassette player?
I finally found an owners manual for the Kenwood DDx-7015. I lists the depth of that unit at just a hair under 6.5 inches. This at least gives me a starting point.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just requires a swap with a newer model for the console. Buy what you want to try and see if it fits just make sure you can take it back if it doesn't.
Last edited by 04crewvt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I think with a little more research I should be able to narrow down which units will fit. I was just hoping someone had pulled the stock head out and had it sitting on a shelf somewhere that they could get some measurements for me.
From what I read in that other thread, I thought GM put the double din radios in some of the later 2002 production models. Is there any way to tell from the glovebox sticker what radio was installed ?
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

How do you post pics in here
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I don't know if, it is even relevant but. my '02 looks like the one on the right and is a 6 disc changer with RDS, whatever that is.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

mine is RDS, but I didnt see any markings that say it is a 6 disc cd changer. Does yours say 6 disc on it somewhere??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It just has extra buttons for the discs, I believe. "1-2", "3-4" and "5-6".
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I went back to that other thread and searched out every clue we figured out on the sizes of radio it appears we did figure out that the very last 2002's like Reed's did get the 2 Din radios. So if yours is a late 2002 you can just measure the dash opening if it is 4 inches it's the double din size, the mounting depth will still be a problem most after market HU have a depth that will not fit in our dash openings the Crutchfield fit advisor is a good place to look to see if the HU will fit either as is or with modifications. I think anything over the 5 13/16 they show will require modification or fabrication to work.
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

I dont believe it is a 6 disc changer on the right. I have the same one in my truck and it is a single disc, the 6 buttons underneath are for the radio presets
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

The double din radios have the cassette tape deck in the radio where as the 1.5 din have the tape deck down in the center console on the floor. :?
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

You will have to cut the rear mounting bracket inside the dash regardless of which aftermarket you go with, or which opening you have. The stock radios are super short.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I read a thread that SONAMACREW started, where he installed a Kenwood
double din touchscreen, he stated that it took an install kit, but other than that it went right in. I did a little research on the Kenwood unit he installed. I is 165mm deep (6.5 inches) I have found a few other double din touch screens on ebay, some are 6.5" deep. SONAMACREW didnt mention having to cut anything. I tried to stick another CD in to see if it was a cd changer, No Luck.
Still looking for someone that has a stock radio like mine that can take some measurements.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Check out Crutchfield.com or call them acting like you would like to buy a unit. They are usually pretty helpful.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I did look on Crutchfield a few days ago, it lists the same Kenwood that
SONOMACREW installed as compatible with the 02 CC. They also listed the depth at less than 5.5 inches. But Kenwoods web site lists the specs for head unit as being 6.5 inches. So, I dont know who to believe Crutchfield or Kenwood website.
Hopefully someone will have some info before I spend the money and tear the dash apart. I'm not sure I want to cut braces just yet.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

If you look at the little print closely enough (crutchfield site) it list a modifcation is needed ie. cutting the rear support bracket off.

From Crutchfield's site
Installation Details
Modified Fit - Requires Modification

Installation Details for your 2002 Sonoma

» To install this product, you’ll have to modify your vehicle.
» Unbolt or cut out the factory stereo's rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver.
» Video receivers with flip-out monitors may not work in this vehicle because of the configuration of the factory dash.

Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I went back and looked at that, I see where it shows that it needs to be modified. I was hoping SONOMACREW would be able to shed some more light on the subject.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

The problem I am having is that I can find double din head units that are under the 6.5" depth, but if I am going to have to cut the supports. Then It opens up other options that are deaper than 6.5"
Again, my first choice is not to cut, if I dont have to.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I have shed the light you are looking for. You're wanting a miracle and there is none except for the cut. You WILL NOT find anything that fits without cutting the bracket off, unless it's OEM. I have done it, and it's nothing. Just a piece of plastic you cut with some snips.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

Thanks for your help Border Man. But with all due respect, my original question was the dimensions of the stock radio, At first I was told that my truck cannot have a double din size opening because it was a 2002. After a few more posts, it was confirmed that I can, and I do, have a double din radio. I am looking for more answers from others who may have installed a double din head unit, but did not have to cut anything. (Like SONOMACREW) I am not looking for a miracle, I am just the kind of person that likes to make sure I have all the information.
You also tell me that I WILL NOT Find anything that fits without cutting the bracket off. And that you have done it. My questions to you is, when did you install your head unit? what brand and model did you put in? and is it possible that there could be a newer unit on the market, that has come out since you looked, that would fit without modification? (technology is getting smaller and smaller everyday)
I appreciate everyones help.
S10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10 »

My truck is a 2002. It must be a late 2002, because I have the double din opening. I have the Kenwood DDX-7019 touch-face unit in my dash. It does fit with just the need of the adaptor brackets and no other mods to the dash. But, because of all of the wires that go to these touch face units, it will be lot better after I cut the plastic mount off the back. There is a flat surface that the radio sits on. So the back of the radio is well supported. To asnswer your question - the OEM radio is
Front to back - 6 1/4"
Side to side - 7 1/4"
Top to bottom - 4 1/8"