from a v6 4.3l to a v8 5.7l swap!!!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

brockbel

from a v6 4.3l to a v8 5.7l swap!!!

Post by brockbel »

I'm looking to swap my stock 4.3L v6 with vortec 5.3L v8! my question is what all mods do i also so need to do to my 04 gmc sonoma sls crew cab 4x4 to make it all work properly and fit right.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: from a v6 4.3l to a v8 5.7l swap!!!

Post by Horsehammerr »

Search
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We do have one member here who has done the swap. Hopefully he will drop in and answer some questions for you :) I believe he does have a build thread on his truck, and who did the swap for him.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

5.3 or 5.7? My understanding is Vortec 5.7 is fairly easy, but a 5.3 will get a bit trickier. I know nothing about either swap.

Post up what you do.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

5.7 is fairly direct, though you will need to buy some adaptors etc. You will need electric fans, i got dodge intrepid ones. You can use the 4.3L computer and wire harness, but you will need the 5.7 harness also to mash together with the 4.3 harness for the fuel injection etc. The O2 sensors have to get changed to ones from an Express van and re pinned. You MUST use headers to install a 5.7 in the 4x4 s10, because of the steering shaft it will not clear 5.7 stock exhaust manifolds. I mounted mine on 2.8L engine mounts with 2.8-V8 adaptors from advance adaptors. The build thread is in the NOS section of the site for photos progress etc. I had someone with a lot of S10 v8 swap experience help with the project as far as parts procurement and installation. He did all of the install work for me while I was away at work training for 3 months.

To do a 5.3, or any LS motor swap in the S10 you will need a new computer, a special made wire harness and the LS motor itself. Its quite a bit more expensive to do and unfortunately was out of my budget at the time when I did my swap.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
brockbel

Post by brockbel »

i meant to put in my original post that i want to put the 5.7l engine that gmc/chevy produced before the came out with the newer 5.3l also how much did it end up costing you over all and do i need to change my trans or my rear end from the stock ones
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 4L60E transmission was used on V-8 engines. All the 1500 trucks and even some Corvettes :) A few upgrades and it should be fine. The rear axle, might survive. They are pretty flexy and not very durable. Might look for a ZR2 upgrade in the future.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
brockbel

Post by brockbel »

any clue how much im going to have to spend to have a shop do it but if i buy a used 5.7l? and how much would a zr2 rear end cost me also what type of shop would i need to look up that would do the swap for me or help me with it
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My guess...V-8 swap with you providing the good engine $7,000-$10,000. Rear axle swap $1,000-$1500. Maybe half that on the axle if you provide a good ZR2 axle for the install.
I have no idea from where you hail, but finding a shop to do it will be very hard. You want it done right and something like this takes the right person.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
brockbel

Post by brockbel »

i found a speed shop that would do the labor for me i just need to find out what parts i will need and im going to have to buy them myself as well as find and buy the engine
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the thread on the swap that Approachmedium did. ECM, wiring, exhaust, headers, driveshaft, adapters, radiator, electric fans, etc...
I don't know all the details. JTR - Jaguars That Run has some S-10 conversion parts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I think I spend about $5,000 in parts and labor having mine done. I only paid $500 for my engine and wire harness though. I also did the entire tear down of the front nose of my truck by myself. I got as far as the part where the old engine comes out, then I stopped and dave took over.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ