Changing 1/2 Shaft ???

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Changing 1/2 Shaft ???

Post by Torskdoc »

I've got a once or twice a rev rumble from the Right Front, plus an intermittent ABS light that is somewhat wheel (tire) position dependent. I can make it do it with the wheel up in the air, so I bought a new 1/2 shaft. Gonna put new hubs on too. Now the Questions. Never done this before so how complicated is it? Do I need to remove the spindle? Or does the shaft compress so I can pull it together and remove that way?

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Changing 1/2 Shaft ???

Post by roadrunner »

I have replaced the RH half shaft by turning the wheel all the way to the right and compressing the shaft after of course removing the shaft nut and wheel. Be very careful not to damage the seal or the needle bearing in the housing end. It's a bitch to replace either one and even harder to get it to seal up properly if you do damage it. Removing the hubs should make it a snap. IIRC with the hub removed the axle comes directly out of the spindle hole.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Changing 1/2 Shaft ???

Post by Torskdoc »

Thanks RR. I'll pull the hub 1st, and then pull the shaft.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT