TRAILER TOWING

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

badsix
Regular
Regular

TRAILER TOWING

Post by badsix »

I have a 2001 s10 crew cab and want to know if any other people have camp trailers that they tow, how long and what's the weight. i'm looking at a 19' 3300# camper, but i'm not sure how the s10 will handle it. I've towed a utility trailer that I have with a little over a cord of green wood in it with no problems. the trailer must weigh 800# and the wood probably is 2000# at least.
Jay D.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: TRAILER TOWING

Post by HenryJ »

We pulled a trailer with ours for quite a while

Even a smaller trailer like this was a struggle once up to 9400ft. It did the job, but a couple more cylinders makes it much easier and gets better mileage.
I think you can probably pull a 3300lb trailer, but it would likely need to be a flatlander. A fullsize truck may be a better match.
We went to a fullsize:

The E1 is a 3500# trailer. The Avalanche pulls it nicely. I am very sure I would not want to pull it with the old S-10.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

First thing I would check is your RPO codes for gearing. The 3.73 gearing will make towing better over the 3.42 gears. I tow around 3200 lbs in Michigan flats and its hills, but it's not a popup, it's an 18' enclosed trailer. The truck does well but definitely need to set it up to do so. AUX trans cooler is a must and would highly recommend doing the tow/haul transplant from a blazer. It is a bit complicated but very doable and having it change the line pressure and shift points makes a huge difference. I've also done an aftermarket 3 core aluminum radiator and air bags in the rear to help with the weak suspension. If your trailer doesn't have electric brakes I would highly recommend adding them to it and wiring in a brake controller in the truck as well.

When I tow I don't expect to be in a hurry, nor traveling 70-75 mph either. I keep it around 65 in Drive which leaving me running about 2700rpms and it pulls really well in my opinion. Balancing the trailer will also make a big difference in your trailering experience in a small truck as well. I usually get between 11-12mpg towing the enclosed trailer unless I'm against a nasty head wind and then it's down to 9-10.
Fv195

Post by Fv195 »

I’ve have towed a 8x18 enclosed trailer with a car in it from no to Florida, I suggest load level bars sway control, and trailer brakes. It can be done, my trailer is 3k empty, add car, tool box etc. probably 6k lbs trailer. I added air shocks, trans cooler trans temp gauge. Be careful and it can be done.
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

I pull a 94 Gulfstream Innsbruck 18ft. 4400# all up with 24 gallons in the water tank over the axles, 2wk load of clothes, food, awning, TV, Tube Stereo, Gas and twin batteries. Truck is an 02, 4.3L, 3.42 rear, AirShocks, Trailer brake controller, Outboard 25000# Tranny cooler, 15000# Cooler for the Engine Oil, Twin Electric fans set to start at 160*F with a 180*F Stat. W4me computer with stiffer line pressure and clutch holding in 3rd and 4th gears. Does pretty good on the flats as long as it's 3rd, but 4th isn't a good idea to maintain speed unless downhill with a good tailwind. Avg mpg is 12-14 on flats at 60 in 3rd on flat highway. Concur a couple more cylinders would be a good idea (a 5.3L would be a good bet) on hills, but considering it's now me and the dog, we've got all the time in the world to roam. Wife passed in Oct. 2017.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT