Shake/rattle under the dash

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Doc

Shake/rattle under the dash

Post by Doc »

I Just got my 2003 Crew Cab in Pewter for $20,000. (Friend on my department works on the side as General Manager). Did I get a good deal?

I have a squeking noise under the dash, anyone else have this?

He says he will fix it, Just wondering if I can point him in the right direction.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might check the Hood hinge rattle? It sounds like it is under the dash some times.

Close a hose or chunk of foam in the hinge and see if the sound goes away.

Strange noises

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doc

Post by Doc »

HenryJ wrote:Might check the Hood hinge rattle? It sounds like it is under the dash some times.

Close a hose or chunk of foam in the hinge and see if the sound goes away.

Strange noises

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming that there are 2 hood hinges and they attach the hood to the truck. Just had to clarify.

I will check this tomorrow and let you know. My buddy bought the same truck just different color from the same dealer and his doesn't rattle.

BTW did I say how much I love this site! My girlfriend is gonna kill me if I don't get to bed soon! Priorities! Goodnight guys! She calls! :wink:
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Hey Doc...Welcome!! I also bought my truck for 20k...i think i got a good deal
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Doc wrote:
I am assuming that there are 2 hood hinges and they attach the hood to the truck. Just had to clarify.

I will check this tomorrow and let you know. My buddy bought the same truck just different color from the same dealer and his doesn't rattle.

BTW did I say how much I love this site! My girlfriend is gonna kill me if I don't get to bed soon! Priorities! Goodnight guys! She calls! :wink:
Yes it would be a good idea to eliminate both hinges ;)

The noise seems to transfer. The GM fix is to install spring washers on the bolts that are the hinge point.

Can you narrow down the area that the noise is coming from?

(I'm refering to the truck, Not the girlfriend in the bedroom) ;) :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doc

Post by Doc »

HenryJ wrote:
Doc wrote:

Yes it would be a good idea to eliminate both hinges ;)

The noise seems to transfer. The GM fix is to install spring washers on the bolts that are the hinge point.

Can you narrow down the area that the noise is coming from?

(I'm refering to the truck, Not the girlfriend in the bedroom) ;) :lol:
I keep hearing it come from under the dash. It makes me want to hit the dash to see if I can stop the wiggle (or maybe that was The Hulk movie I saw the other night)

It seems to come from somewhere deep in the dash. I thought maybe a leaf was in the ac fan or something but messing with the switch doesn't change the sound. I think it decreases when I accelerate and sometimes I can't hear it when I am at a stop, but other times I can, I also thought going over bumps makes it worse but it does it sitting in my driveway. I can't isolate when the noise occurs it is almost constant. I will check the hinges today.

Thanks alot for the help. (and no I don't need the help in the bedroom :lol: )
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Open the hood and see if you hear the noise towards the rear of the intake manifold.( Noise from intake )

To the right rear ,near the ignition coil, there is a elecrical connection that points up. touch it and see if it ticks in sync to the sound you are hearing.

I too have a sound that sounds like something stuck in a fan blade , but coming from no where near the HVAC fan.

The sound I have sounds like it is behind the instrument cluster.

And no , I don't have a fix, YET.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Doc

Damn squirrel under my dash!

Post by Doc »

So I tried to narrow it down today....

I don't know where I am supposed to jam foam or a hose in the hinge and close the hood... throw me a bone here. :?: :? :)

I can't here the noise when I accelerate especially up a hill, Bumps DO make it worse. It sounds like a damn squirrel is chattering away in there. :lol:

If I need to get an exterminator...

I just thought of something with the hose in the hinge thing..... BRB
Doc

Thought I had it figured out...

Post by Doc »

It is still there and coming from in the dash, The dealer says he will fix it so I am gonna make an appointment for next week. I will let you all know.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Please let me know what you find out. I've had the same rattle since I bought my Crew in October. Recently it has become constant. My trip to the dealer was completely wasted. They said they took the door panel off and wrapped some connectors in foam to stop the noise. Pretty ridiculous, when you consider that the noise is obviously coming from somewhere in the dash!
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
Doc

It is driving me nuts....

Post by Doc »

I made an appointment today for next week, Keep your fingers crossed.

Check out my new signature...

How do I post a pic?
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Tell them it's most definitely the hood hinge. I fixed mine this morning, temporaraily. I took a piece of 1/4" thick packing foam and folded it over so it was 1/2" thick. I took that and placed it under the hood hinge so that it came down on the foam when I closed the hood. This holds the hood up at the hinge when it's closed. The rattling has stopped all together!!
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
CrazyZR5

Post by CrazyZR5 »

I just bought a 2003 GMC Crew Cab ZR5 2 weeks ago. I also noticed a rattle / vibration coming from the dash. The issue seems to be intermittent but often enough for me to want to beat the living S**t out of my dash. I notice it more when I rev the engine at a lower RPM. When I start driving it goes away. I havent spent a whole lot of time troubleshooting it but it seems to be coming from the bottom-center near the ashtray. Behind the dash in that location I believe is the AC. I will try and troubleshoot a litter further and let you all know what I find.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

03 price

Post by snowsurfer »

Your price sounds great!! I purchase mine about 2-3 months now and with all the rebates got it at 21k. Considering I lve in Hawaii and everythings cost more here I thought it was a good price. I ended up with pewter as the only other color was yellow....
CrazyZR5

Post by CrazyZR5 »

Well I still havent been able to isolate the rattle. It seems to be coming deep from the dash, possibly from engine compartment / hood hinges like you guys were saying. It was way hot today and so I didnt really feel like getting into it. Will post update later
CrazyZR5

Post by CrazyZR5 »

I think I may have found the rattle under the dash. There is a vent which I believe is for the A/C located under the dash, behind the ash tray. When the truck idles, it sounds like something is rattling in the dash. When I stick my hand under the dash and apply pressure to the A/C vent it stops and returns the moment I release pressure. Still troubleshooting on how to fix.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

HenryJ wrote:The GM fix is to install spring washers on the bolts that are the hinge point.
It that something available to us through some source without going in to the dealer? (If a part is available, HenryJ will know of it :D .)

My driver side is noisy in harsh sharp bumps, such as the darn RR track I cross every day. I wadded up a sock under it and closed it and it does go away. But I wouldn't call the sock a permanent fix. Kind of holds that corner of the hood up above the fender sheetmetal. Darn thing is loud and sounds like it is under the dash in the area of the steering column. But it must be the hinge - goes away with the sock.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Mike H. wrote:
HenryJ wrote:The GM fix is to install spring washers on the bolts that are the hinge point.
It that something available to us through some source without going in to the dealer? (If a part is available, HenryJ will know of it :D .)

My driver side is noisy in harsh sharp bumps, such as the darn RR track I cross every day. I wadded up a sock under it and closed it and it does go away. But I wouldn't call the sock a permanent fix. Kind of holds that corner of the hood up above the fender sheetmetal. Darn thing is loud and sounds like it is under the dash in the area of the steering column. But it must be the hinge - goes away with the sock.

Try a self adhesive rubber bumper from the hardware store. I put mine at the base of the hinge about 2" from the pivot point.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike H. wrote:
Sure any good hardware store should have spring washers, my local TrueValue Hardware store does :D

They are very thin spring hardened washers that look like they have been bent over a pipe or something.

You will need to remove the small end sections of the wiper cowl by removing the (phillips head) retaining screw under the hood. The spring washer can be placed between the hinge pieces or under the head of the hinge bolt (where the earlier models installed it)

I don't remember the ID of the washer needed, so you'll have to remove a bolt and measure it. (probably 5/16" or 3/8" I know it is metric, but those sizes may not be readily available)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Shake/rattle under the dash

Post by quickbiker »

Doc wrote:I Just got my 2003 Crew Cab in Pewter for $20,000. (Friend on my department works on the side as General Manager). Did I get a good deal?

I have a squeking noise under the dash, anyone else have this?

He says he will fix it, Just wondering if I can point him in the right direction.

That's about what I got my 01 for. Can't beat it for the value. What else can you get for a loaded truck that has it all? :D
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

now i feel like i got jipped 25,500 is what i signed for... i think it was worth it
kgkoon
Regular
Regular

Post by kgkoon »

Did you not at least get the $4000 rebate? I paid $21k and got the ZR5 package, 3.73 gears, AT tires, full size spare, sliding rear window, bed extender, towing package, and locking rear diff as major options with that. The salesman told me to name my price and I did. I was surprised they accepted it without blinking. He told me they were trying to move the S-10s out. I thought I got a hell of a deal, but I'm sure someone got a better one than me.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I lucked out, moment of opportunity. Only option I have is the G-80, nothing else. Chevy was the #1 sold car/truck within my region for the fifth year in a row, as such they gave huge prizes/incentives to the dealerships around here. I got my truck $500 under invoice and a $4000 rebate, came out to $18,200. Only reason I got it, anything more and I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I was almost $7500 upside down, so I financed sticker at $25,600. Not bad, except for the upside down part. But now I'm even, and back on track. 8)

Live and learn, never buy another until you own the one ya got. I really wish I would have listened.