Paint problems

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

malligood

Paint problems

Post by malligood »

I have a 2002 Black Crewcab and while washing it a couple of weeks ago noticed what looked like pitted spots on my hood and roof. I took it to my local Chevy dealer who said it was acid rain but he would not touch it, he suggested I take it back to the dealer I bought it from. The dealer I bought from is a hour and a half away, I was told to bring it in and they had a dent and ding man that could get it off. After a couple of calls to some bodyshops I was leery of the "get it off" method, so I contacted another local dealer, took it by, the guy looked at it and said he would talk to the local Chevy factory rep. Well Chevy is taking care of it via good will, it's in the shop now, I just hope it matches.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

My Black Crewcab is in the shop as well. To fix the damage from hitting a deer. But...I also am having them fix what the bodyshop says looks like metallic paint in the clearcoat that must have been leftover from the truck painted before mine. It's only in one place. The very bottom of the drivers side of the bed. I didn't want to be without my truck, or else I would have made them fix it earlier.

From everything that I read here and other places, paint seems to be a real problem with Chevy.
ronnie
Regular
Regular

Post by ronnie »

the samething happened to my 2001 black crewcab and when the hood and roof was repainted i didnt look excatly the same no one else noticed it but i did ,the new paint looked as smooth as glass but the original paint as what the call orange peel looks a little textured
2003 s-10 zr5 crew cab leaather,dvd/mp3 player,monitor,10' mtx thuderform,,i have a website selling jeep and other 4x4 please email me if looking for lift kit,seatcovers,performance parts,919-524-3595
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Don't tell me this!! I don't need to hear this!!! :lol:

Hopefully they won't have to paint anything. None of the parts were creased, so they thought thay could straighten out the original hood and fender. Hopefullt they won't have to paint anything.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Paint problems

Post by Mike H. »

malligood wrote:I have a 2002 Black Crewcab and while washing it a couple of weeks ago noticed what looked like pitted spots on my hood and roof. I took it to my local Chevy dealer who said it was acid rain but he would not touch it, he suggested I take it back to the dealer I bought it from. The dealer I bought from is a hour and a half away, I was told to bring it in and they had a dent and ding man that could get it off. After a couple of calls to some bodyshops I was leery of the "get it off" method, so I contacted another local dealer, took it by, the guy looked at it and said he would talk to the local Chevy factory rep. Well Chevy is taking care of it via good will, it's in the shop now, I just hope it matches.

My 2002 White GMC had a similar, or possibly the same, problem, that I noticed about a week after I bought it. Mine looked like someone had sprinkled fine pepper all over it into the wet clear coat. Every horizontal surface. You could actually feel the bigger specks. And some were turning orange like little rust spots. I tried mild paint cleaner, bug/tar wipes, and auto wax, but it would not come off.

I took it back in and had the sales manager look at it. She said it was "atmospheric fallout" that gets on them while sitting at the factory in NJ and from the railroad trip down. They took it in to the shop for a few days and "clayed" it, then waxed it. Looked fine after that. And they gave me a new Montana for the 3 days they had it. While I was waiting to pick it up, I looked at several other light colored vehicles. Most had it.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]