Dexcool class action lawsuit

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Dexcool class action lawsuit

Post by HenryJ »

Here's the LINK to the thread on the S-series forum if any one wants , or needs to get information on this.

This is a link to the lawfirm's online form : ST&K Law Gm consumer report form

I made a "preemptive strike" and switched mine to the green pretty early, so I'm not going to need to be a party in this.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Excellent Post! This is the first I have heard about this. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for anything that looks like it might be a problem with my engine related to this.

Thanks for the info.
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

you can switch the dexcool to the standard green??
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

rdivirgilio wrote:you can switch the dexcool to the standard green??

yes yes...just flush it out and put the green in. brule did it. and i will be doing it soon cuz i just crossed 51k miles
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

What is the procedure for flushing it?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:What is the procedure for flushing it?

get in the middle of the street and unplug your radiator :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:

get in the middle of the street and unplug your radiator :lol:

Thanks smartass! :roll: :lol:

I meant...do you need to run water through the system or anything to rinse out all the Dex-Cool? I know that stuff doesn't mix at all with the green stuff, so I don't want any chunks forming in my cooling system from not getting all the Dex-Cool out.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote:

I meant...do you need to run water through the system or anything to rinse out all the Dex-Cool? I know that stuff doesn't mix at all with the green stuff, so I don't want any chunks forming in my cooling system from not getting all the Dex-Cool out.

I have an old 98 2.2 S-10 with muddy looking Dex in it...I was thinking if you flush the system as good as you can with water maybe it would be a good idea :idea: to run the thing a few days with just water in there to be sure the dex is out :?: .
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Running it with just water in it here in Phoenix is not really an option. Maybe for about 10 minutes just to let it cycle once or twice, but definitely not for a couple days. My cooling fan has kicked into high gear at least 3-4 times per day on my 40 minute drive home from work for about 6 weeks now. :D
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM Settling Suits Over Engine Coolant
API wrote: Associated Press
GM Settling Suits Over Engine Coolant
By DAVID TWIDDY 03.26.08, 5:11 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -

General Motors Corp. has agreed to settle a series of class-action lawsuits claiming a faulty engine coolant damaged thousands of customer vehicles.

Under the settlement, GM would reimburse class members between $50 and $800 for repairs linked to Dex-Cool, an orange coolant that GM included in cars and trucks beginning in 1995.

The total cost to GM will depend on the number of customers claiming damages, but the plaintiffs' attorneys estimate the settlement could cover up to 20 million initial and secondary buyers of GM vehicles that used Dex-Cool. They also say the price tag could reach the hundreds of millions of dollars.

A California state court gave preliminary approval to the settlement last week and a Missouri court plans to consider it Friday.

"We fought for about five years to recover monetary damages for people that would be meaningful and I think we achieved that," said San Francisco plaintiff attorney Eric Gibbs, who estimated most people spent between $600 and $900 for repairs. "The recovery for most of the people will be pretty good."

GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said the company was not admitting any wrongdoing but is settling the case to cut down on legal bills.

"Our experience with Dex-Cool is that when the cooling system is kept full and properly maintained we haven't seen any problems," he said. "These kinds of things appear to be issues of low coolant, which isn't unusual with high-mileage vehicles, so we decided to agree to the settlement."

GM owners have filed a dozen breach-of-warranty lawsuits in state and federal courts across the country, including California and Missouri, where one of the earliest cases was filed in April 2003.

The cases all claim vehicles with Dex-Cool often damaged the engines or created a rusty sludge in the radiators that caused the vehicles to overheat.

Under the agreement, GM will reimburse some of the cost for intake manifold gasket replacements, cooling system flushes and heater core repairs sought during the first seven years or 150,000 miles, whichever came first, that the class member owned the vehicle. Considering that some vehicles may have been sold and the new owners also paid for repairs alleged to have been caused by Dex-Cool, individual vehicles may generate more than one settlement.

Negotiations on a settlement began shortly before the Missouri case was scheduled to go to trial in November. They culminated with the agreement being filed in Alameda County Superior Court in Oakland, Calif., on March 20. That settlement covers 49 states.

A separate Missouri settlement, with the same terms as the California one, is scheduled to go before a judge Friday in Jackson County, Mo. Missouri had a separate settlement as it was the first states to grant class-action status to the claims, said Jack Brady, a Kansas City-based attorney and co-lead counsel.

"It could be multiple nine figures; it depends on how many people make the claim," Brady said. "I think it could be a huge settlement."

Gibbs said the attorneys will receive up to $23 million in fees and $2.8 million for expenses.

The settlement covers GM vehicles with 3.1-liter or 3.4-liter V6 engines for model years 1995 to 2003; those same brands with 3.8-liter V6 engines for model years 1995 to 2004; and small trucks and sports utility vehicles with 4.3-liter V6 engines for model years 1995 through 2000.

The deadline for submitting claims is Oct. 27 for states outside Missouri and a week later in Missouri, assuming the judge grants preliminary approval Friday.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

What? Dex was not used in later than 2000 4.3 engines? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:What? Dex was not used in later than 2000 4.3 engines? :?:
For some models.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I helped out a woman last year that had a generation 2 blazer, not sure of the year, who's heater core had plugged due to the Dexcool coolant. Got a printout from a mechanic at a local dealership which basically outlined using a basic Prestone type flush and fill kit with a solvent that GM offers, but does not appear to be much different from what Prestone themselves offer, just more expensive. The specifics that I can recall were changing the t-stat twice for new during the process, and running with a dime wedged to increase rpm and raise temp to a specific level. As I recall it was a two step process that was quite lengthy, meaning that you had to run the engine for a few hours in the driveway with the solvent in it, and then again with only the garden hose pumping through it. I know that some have accesss to GM manuals and procedures on line. Perhaps they could dig something more specific up, maybe even find the specific fix the mechanic gave to me, and post it. Regardless, just flush it and go green.
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

HenryJ wrote:
Horsehammerr wrote:What? Dex was not used in later than 2000 4.3 engines? :?:
For some models.
What model's didn't get Dexcool?

Dexcool is fine if you follow to the 2 year flush procedure the green stuff requires. If you are insistent on going green, make sure you get it flushed and refilled! The two don't mix!

The lawsuit only covers cooling system sludge for the 4.3's correct? It doesn't cover intake gasket leaks does it? I know for all the 60* motors it actually covers intake gasket repairs.
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Jiggle the handle...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've been using 60% green Prestone, and 40% distilled water and my cooling system is like brand new.

Distilled water is better than tap water since it has additives that can be corrosive to your system.
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Claims for repairs before May 30, 2008. Might help with my wifes Blazer but not my Crew it needs all the repairs done sometime this June Sad
http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

I sent the lawfirm a message if there would be a second suit or I wonder if GM will make free repairs after May 30th 2008
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you wish to submit your claim online, please go to www.DexCoolSettlement.com fill out the online Claim Statement form, and attach scanned versions of your required documentation before clicking the button to submit your claim. Online claims must be submitted no later than midnight on October 27, 2008.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

This www.dexcoolsettlement.com site states 4.3 , 1995-2000 S-10, that means '01-'04 CC's are not included. Did GM do something special to ours? or is this just another SCAM ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN