Water leak on floor

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Water leak on floor

Post by HenryJ »

I made this post on another forum. This is from GM trouble shooting.

In addition to checking the door weatherstrip for sealing here are a few more things to check.

The right or left plenum drain may be plugged or the drain has excess sealer that acts as a dam. Remove the obstruction or trim away excess sealer leaving no higher than 6.35 mm (1/4 in) to the bottom edge of the drain.

Water may enter through the air box if the air box is loose. If the air box is loose, tighten the lower right fastener first, then the other fasteners in a clockwise order (lower right, lower left, upper left, upper right) to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
The air box may have excess sealer causing interference and not allowing the air box to seat properly. If the air box cannot be seated properly against the front of dash due to an interference from the sealer, cut away excess sealer in order to allow a proper seal.

Max A/C is turned on through a car wash or heavy rain. Max A/C opens the recirculation/air box door (upward) in the air box. Water can pool on the door and gain entry to the front passenger compartment. Excess water can enter through the cowl grill fasteners and drop onto an open air box door, or splash onto the door from the plenum. It is sometimes possible to minimize the amount of water gaining access to the door by applying thumb grade sealer to the right most cowl grille fastener and the upper fender bolt holes before securing.

The inside of the plenum along the hinge pillar may have a void in the sealer. Inspect for voids outside the plenum along the hinge pillar. Clean the area and seal.

Water coming out of lower kick pad. The door wire harness grommet may not be seated to the "A" pillar. Make sure the grommet is fully seated to the "A" pillar. Also check the grommet at the top of the passenger side carpet, below the HVAC assembly.

I have also seen body seams that rusted and had voids. This is under the carpet at the inner fender/body seam. That was a drivers side leak in that case.
Lots of places to look. Try tracing the wetness to a source.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What, the weekend was to boring? Gotta get Mrs Hoff to get your wife into a forum and find home "mods" for you to do versus finding additional faults/mods in our rigs! :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I neglected to post this here. it came up on another forum and I thought I had posted the information here. I was wrong.
I have a pretty good list of things to do , believe it or not ;) The wife needs no help :shock:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Water leak on passenger floor

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Hi everyone,

The passenger floor water leak in my Blazer is driving me crazy. I took out the entire front carpet and want to replace it, but the water "pools" on the passenger floor and I need to properly diagnose where the leak is coming from first. My mechanic checked the drain tube and the cowl, but they could not figure it out and told me I may need to take it to a body shop. Other people are telling me it could be the sunroof, the window, the door, the windshield, etc.

I have seen it trickle down from the front side of the passenger compartment. When the compressor is on it sweats, but I don't think that is it.

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do to finally fix it?

On a different note, when I took out the carpet I could see that the shift indicator to the left of the floor mount and the plastic piece holding hte boot on were both broken. Would anyone here happen to have those pieces?

Thanks,

Tom
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)