ZR5 Owners Check Your Bed Rails

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ZR5 Owners Check Your Bed Rails

Post by gocntry »

I Have Removed My Bed Rails From My Truck And Found A Nasty Surprise Underneath. Where The Bolt Holes Are The Paint Was Blistering, And Chipping And Rust Was Starting Also. You Other Zr5 Owners Might Want To Check Under Your Bed Rails Also.

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

My paint is chipping off of my fender flares along the edge. Good thing I have 2 weeks left on my warranty! :) I'm taking it up there tomorrow.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What do you expect out of visual mods? They were worthless from day one but, thanks for the "heads up"!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

How do you get them off?
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

f9k9 wrote:They were worthless from day one
Yep I Agree With That.......
Cajun wrote:How do you get them off?
There Are 2 Rubber Plugs Underneath The Bed Rail, Pull Those Out And Remove The 2 Bolts And They Come Off. THe 2 Center Posts Have The Bolts, The Other 2 Just Sit There

The Factory Had Mine Tightened So Much That It Dimpled The Top Of The Bed Rail Too.
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

are you getting rid of your bed rails? My LS has a litle ZR5 envy. :lol: I haul stuff all the time and they would help for tie downs. Just asking.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I still haven't gotten a reply from bushwacker. Maybe one of you guys will buy a set and try trimming them down to fit and cover that mess. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

According to the manual the rails we have on or ZR5's are decorative only, you are not supposed to use them for tying off loads. They are not attached to anything but the thin sheet metal and could pull out if a load were to shift.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Do you think that with some fabricated large brackets or plates under the bed lip could help avoid that issue or are the rails themselves just not strong enough either? I still don't have the rails to mount but this info will me decide if I want to go aftermarket or not.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

barch97 wrote:I still haven't gotten a reply from bushwacker. Maybe one of you guys will buy a set and try trimming them down to fit and cover that mess. :wink:
I'm Thinking I See Line X In My Future
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

MARBLEYARD wrote:are you getting rid of your bed rails?
Yep They Were Headed For Ebay..........
04crewvt wrote:According to the manual the rails we have on or ZR5's are decorative only, you are not supposed to use them for tying off loads. They are not attached to anything but the thin sheet metal and could pull out if a load were to shift.
Yep, I Put A Tie Strap Around Them On Occasion But Only To Hold Something Light Down In The Bed I Use The Tie Downs Built Into The Bed For All The Heavy Holding.
MARBLEYARD wrote:Do you think that with some fabricated large brackets or plates under the bed lip could help
Problem With That Is The Rails Mount To The Topside Piece Of Metal And There Is A Bigger Hole Drilled In The Underside Piece Of Metal (2 Layers)For The Bolt To Go Thru, The Stud Isn't Long Enough To Go Thru Both Layers Of Metal. (Sorry If That Sounds Confusing, I'll Take A Pic If It Helps)
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I think I know what you mean. Pics would be nice. So what are you asking? It may be worth the trip to NOVA, but I'm headed to Portsmouth and then Charlotte later this month so my travel'n schedule is crazy.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I use mine only to tie off a cargo net if I have stuff that will fly away. Just a bungee net I found for a small utility trailer that fits or beds quite nicely.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

gocntry wrote:I'm Thinking I See Line X In My Future
That was my first mod. :wink: I had them spray up and over the bed rail & tailgate so that the tanneu (sp?) cover wouldn't wear out the paint from shifting/wiggling in the wind or from lifting it up/putting down, since it is tiltable. Now I'm going to Line-X the rocker panels and fender lips/flares! :D
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

barch97 wrote:I still haven't gotten a reply from bushwacker. Maybe one of you guys will buy a set and try trimming them down to fit and cover that mess. :wink:
Have You Seen The Ones At LMC Truck?? They Sell Smooth & Ribbed ABS Caps Look At The Bottom Of The Page

LMC Bed Caps