Posi in reverse?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Posi in reverse?

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Hey guys, today while moving cars around in the driveway, I backed my truck in and I punched the gas a little to see if I could chirp the tires. It layed a small 2 foot burnout with both of my tires. I know that I don't have the G80 locker, but why would they both lock up and spin while in reverse and not in drive?
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
20Blazer00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 20Blazer00 »

Better take a closer look at the differential, make sure nothing is weird inside. Check for external identification to be positive that you don't have a G80 installed. It would not be the first time mistakes were made in the assembly line/manufacturing process. If that does not yield any clues then you might have to pop for a gasket and gear lube to find out.....
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Well I know it doesn't do it in Drive, it only spins the passenger side. And I'm for certain that it doesn't have a locker. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it, I just found it to be interesting that it did that.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My 2wd Sonoma did that as well. It would burn the hide off one tire in forward, but would spin both in reverse.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I was thinking about this for a while yesterday. The only logical reasoning I could come up with was that the tow hooks are on the front. So when you would use them to pull something, you would have to be in reverse, therefore it would maximize your traction with both of the tires spinning.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The hooks are in front to pull you, not for pulling others.
The gears (Ring and pinion) are not designed to be loaded on the back side.
If you must pull something use the hitch to pull evenly from the rear.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

My guess would be weight transfer.

When going foreward the rears get more traction, when one wheel starts to spin the diff takes over and spins the one, since there is alot of traction the other tire can't spin because it is getting very little power. On the other hand, when in reverse there is no (actually reverse) weight transfer so it takes very little power to spin the wheels, because of this, even if one wheel starts to break loose there is still enough power going to the other one to spin that one too.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]