Cabin pressure with windows down

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cabin pressure with windows down

Post by Old_MXer »

Hi all,
I am new to this site, but I will say that I have learned alot about my CC since I joined. I have an 04 ZR5 stock with 24k miles on it. I did a search but didn't find any results for this question. When driving at anything above 35mph with any combination of windows down (drivers, drivers + passengers, both with rears part down etc...) I experience a huge pressure problem. It makes your ears want to pop, and you can actually feel the pressure. Not very enjoyable. It is bad enough that I can't drive with the windows down on the highway. Is this a common problem with these trucks? Is there anything that will help this problem? I bought this truck new, and it has done it since day one. Any info would help. Again, love the site and hope to become a participating member.

Don
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Welcome to the site. Unfortunately I can't help you; I have not experienced this pressure build up in my CC. I have noticed that if my front windows are up and the rear windows are down the wind creates a unique tunnel effect across the back seats.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I feel the same thing in mine. I've found that if the front windows are slightly lower than the rear, it will help some. Also keep the rears at least 1/4 open or more also helps get some of that to go away. I haven't found a sure fire way to rid it yet, with the exception of all the windows either all the way open or closed, which is not ideal all the time.

I also suspect that the roof rack has something to do with it, as it's been the cause of alot of wind noise problems as I've read.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks for the quick reply Kwalsh.
I am almost to the point of putting in a rear sliding window to see if that helps my problem. It is bad enough that if I have the front windows down half way, they shake so badly that I am afraid they will shatter! Guess I will keep using the AC when its hot instead of opening the windows. Thanks again for the help.
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks 2kwik4u, sort of glad to hear that I am not the only one...except that I may have to live with it. Anyone know where to get a sliding rear window, preferably powered? Thanks again for the input

Don
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I don't necessarily have a pressure problem, but I do get the rumbling wind sound resonating off the rear window. I have the sliding rear window. The rumbling sound makes me think sometimes that the rear window is about to blow out while I'm just driving along.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

All newer vehicles seem to be designed to use the HVAC system exclusively to help with gas mileage, they really don't want you cruising around with the windows down it messes with the aerodynamics of the vehicle and the built in cabin venting. I find I can't have a window open above 25-30mph without the noise and pressure bothering me. I generally open the drivers side an inch or two and the opposite rear window a little more and that seems to be about the best it gets.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Old_MXer wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Kwalsh.
I am almost to the point of putting in a rear sliding window to see if that helps my problem. It is bad enough that if I have the front windows down half way, they shake so badly that I am afraid they will shatter! Guess I will keep using the AC when its hot instead of opening the windows. Thanks again for the help.
Opening the rear slider does seem to help. I looked into the power slider when mine imploded.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ear+slider
But for the most part... I'm with everyone else and have just learned to deal with it.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Whenever I have my driver side window down all of the way I open the rear driver side about an inch or two. I do this because I don't like the huge rush of air in my face and so maybe this has prevented this pressure build up?
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Just get some vent visors, that seemed to help on the freeway for me.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My CC used to have the same pressure equalization problem whenever one of the rear windows was down while both of the front windows were up. :?

The vent visors do help some, but it seems to me that it is just one of those things that you have to learn how to deal with by making sure one or both of the front windows are partially open if the one of the back windows is down. :?: :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Just get some vent visors, that seemed to help on the freeway for me.
Big help for me too.

rain deflector

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

04crewvt wrote:I generally open the drivers side an inch or two and the opposite rear window a little more and that seems to be about the best it gets.
I do this too. I think the vent visors kinda help too though. The rear slider helps too. I don'nt open that one much cause it is a little to far to reach from the drivers seat. You have to get out and climb in the back to open it. Like everyone else is saying, better get used to it.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Mines does it and I don't have the roof rack. My 2004 Sierra was even worse. I couldnt drive with the drivers side window down at all my ears would start to ache. With the crew I only have to deal with the rumbling noise and wait for the back window to pop out. LOL
Old_MXer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Old_MXer »

Thanks for all of the good ideas, my wife doesn't like the vent guards, :?: (if mama aint happy, nobodys happy) so I told her that the only other option was a rear sliding window :nana: . I think I am going to try to find a power slider. Anyone have any good sources for one? Thanks again for all of the help
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Old_MXer wrote:Anyone know where to get a sliding rear window, preferably powered?

Don

Here Is A C.L. Laurence Power Slider It States 1994-2003 But Should Fit Your 2004 Also, I'm Sure Someone Will Be Able To Give A Definate Answer To That. You Can Call Your Local Glass Company With The Part Number Or Shop It On The Internet.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

No problems with the front windows. But having the rear ones down with or without the fronts down cause a pump pump pump sound. It's hard on the ears. I have visors on all 4 windows . The rear window being open ends the problem. Kinda hard to open or close it from the drivers seat! Thanks for the electric window link.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

DLP wrote:No problems with the front windows. But having the rear ones down with or without the fronts down cause a pump pump pump sound. It's hard on the ears. I have visors on all 4 windows . The rear window being open ends the problem. Kinda hard to open or close it from the drivers seat! Thanks for the electric window link.
That "pump pump pump" may be a rear tire out of balance. I had a suburban that did the same. I couldn't feel any vibration but I had the tires balanced anyway and it quit.

James
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

It did it on my 01 as well as the 03. It's wind for sure. But thanks for the thought.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

DLP wrote:No problems with the front windows. But having the rear ones down with or without the fronts down cause a pump pump pump sound. It's hard on the ears. I have visors on all 4 windows . The rear window being open ends the problem. Kinda hard to open or close it from the drivers seat! Thanks for the electric window link.
That pump sound is the wind hitting your rear window glass. When you want to ride with the drivers window open or partly open just open the rear passenger window an inch or so. That stops the sound in my truck but I do have the rain guards.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Didn't notice it on the cars I owned that had the separate vent windows, but it's the same in most cars/trucks I've owned since they did away with them. Sometimes I wish I still had my '63 Impala, gas hog that it was. But it was a BABE MAGNET!

Larry