Gas gauge and cruise control issues *solved* (sorta)

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Gas gauge and cruise control issues *solved* (sorta)

Post by WVHogRider »

:twisted: Not sure what's up, but I've had some issues with the truck since I picked the truck up from the dealership. :twisted:

Here's what has happened since getting my truck back.

Friday night, I stopped at a friends house to :cheers: . I know the gas gauge was over half a tank when I pulled into his house. When I left my buddies, the truck showed empty. :?: :idea: So I did the stop on flat ground and put the truck in neutral trick. Gauge went right back to just under 3/4 tank. :D I drove under 20 miles to the girlfreinds house with no other issue and the gauge in roughly the same spot. In the morning, I start the truck and it shows between 1/4 to 1/2 tank. I get no more than a mile down the road, and the fuel light comes on. :x So the nearest gas station is 2 to 3 miles away, and have driven with the fuel light on over 10 miles before. :( I keep driving to the gas station, and run out of gas less than 1 mile later, (roughly 1/2 mile from the gas station). :x :oops: Call the girlfreind and have her bring me a gas can. I put 1-2 gallons in the truck from the can, and the gauge goes back to just under half a tank. This is definately goofy for my truck. I'm just wondering if they did one of those PCM upgrades or something when it was at the dealership. I filled up at the gas station and it took 15.5 gallons in. The truck is almost back to 1/2 tank so, I'll be keeping an eye on that gauge.

Then saturday morning, I was on my way to go hunting. I was hauling the 4wheeler on the trailer. I was hauling in 3rd, and cruise set at just under 60 mph due to it being basically flat terrain. Going around a slight bend in the road, the cruise control just quit. I checked the fuse in the side of the dash, didn't find a fuse in the box under the hood, and found nothing. :shrug: Again I'm wondering if the dealership screwed something up.

Anyone else have the cruise control issue or any ideas. :?: I'm thinking the dealership caused a possible vacuum line leak or something. :shrug:

For the gas gauge, I'll wait and see how it acts again before either chalking it up to :oops: or calling the dealership and complaining.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

No clue about the cruise control, but you might as well forget the gas gauge and devote all of your time and energy to the cruise control problem, as the gas gauge is hopeless IMO. Mine has been "fixed" several times, and it works better than it used to, but still doesn't work 100%. :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No clue at all on the cruise. Those fuses under the hood are not marked well. I'd take a shot with checking them all with a meter. No need to pull them anymore, just use the contacts that are on the top of them.

Fuel gauge, is a "live with it" situation. Keep it over 1/2 tank. A lot of members have had teh update but, it doesn't fix it. We had a member go to arbitration with GM and even had a field engineer come down and look at his problems. The engineer admitted that there was no fix and they wouldn't be one. GM ended up buying it back from him.

This one of the reasons why I will never buy another new GM product.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Nice to know I'm not the only one having these issues.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the local masochist chapter! :?:

"PATRICKH" is 100% right on. The fuel gauge issue is over, will never be solved and GM has moved on. I can provide several threads concerning the issue but, hope that you accept that it is a "non"issue with GM at this point.

I have always loved my GM rides but, the "Crew" is my last "new" one :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Anybody every give you any advise on the cruise control?
My full size trucks cruise failed when the switch on the multi-stalk (signal switch) shorted out. It would work fine until the wipers were turned on then it would quit.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Anybody every give you any advise on the cruise control?
My full size trucks cruise failed when the switch on the multi-stalk (signal switch) shorted out. It would work fine until the wipers were turned on then it would quit.
Maybe Apple os software would be a fix? :hide:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I called the dealership when it initially happened, and they said they need to look at it. I checked the fuses, but could find anything blown. I got extremely busy, as well as a hunting trip to Georgia, so I haven't had it looked at yet. The manager said it should be covered under the warranty due to malfunction in electronics. I'm going to try to schedule something this week. It has been a little irritating not having it. I'll update once they look at it.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Update: I dropped the truck off at the dealership on Tuesday, so they could start first thing Wednesday morning. :D While there for the cruise control, I decided to point out that fact that the engine was now leaking oil all over the sides, and that I noticed the oil while fixing the CV boots. :( The dealership had found an intake gasket leak when I took it in for the air pump on the exhaust system, in which they decided to replace all the upper gaskets. :? Well, since the truck was just in for warranty work, the warranty company flagged it for an "random audit" to make sure the dealership was on the up and up. :twisted: This meant the truck had to just sit there all Wed. so the warranty company could send someone down to look over the items on Thursday. :twisted: So Thursday, a so called "acquaintance"/Service Manager calls and tells me they are going to have about 20 hours of work to put in on the truck, and that he arranged for a loaner car for me. It appears now the timing chain cover, oil pan and other items are leaking oil, and they will need to replace the cruise control cable. So I picked up the loaner car ... :twisted:...He gave me a POS 4 cyl. Malibu...with 1"-3"snow on the way. :twisted: I'm going to try to get a detailed report from the service tech or manager whenever I get my truck back.. :cry:
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

You might be frustrated on what is going on.. but at least your getting a theough look at your truck and getting it repaired correctly.(hopefully)
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

LonestarZ wrote:You might be frustrated on what is going on.. but at least your getting a theough look at your truck and getting it repaired correctly.(hopefully)
True. :wink:

Well, the truck is done and I can pick it up right after work. :bounce: For the cruise control, the manager said the a little clip on the cable had broke, and to fix it you have to replace the whole $45 cable, not just the clip. For the oil leaks, the manager said they had to replace the timing chain cover gaskets, the oil pan gaskets, oil cooler lines, and a gasket or line on the power steering pump. :? My cost is $14.30 for a new oil filter and a quart or two of oil. :D I can't wait to pick it up. :bounce:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Hey, if you ever decide to buy a used HPP3, don't plan on it working if the dealership updates your PCM to help fix the gas gauge problem!! It'll cost you nearly as much as a new one costs to have it re-calibrated to work with your truck. I had that problem. And their update sucks just as much as the normal setting that was originally installed. I just go by the odometer now to know how much gas I should have left. Just thought I'd add some input!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

You're right. So I never even told them about it. I'm use to the issue. It was just odd that one time that it kept acting up. It's still original, unless they did on their own.
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

If the dealerships overwrites the HPP3 with a PCM upgrade you can easily restore the HPP3 programming. The HPP3 stores the VIN of the vehicle it uploaded to. As long as you are trying to upload to the same VIN it will gladly reinstall the HPP3 programming.

I never use the gas gauge it SUCKS! As soon as I get over 180mi on the odometer I start looking for a gas station....
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade