Modifications

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Freeser

Modifications

Post by Freeser »

Looking at adding a few extras to the CREW CAB, and was wondering if any of you guys out there would be able to help me with some suggestions. First, I want to add on of those soft, vinyl(?) covers over the box of the truck, and was curious if anybody had any suggestions as to a good brand or model to use. I would like to do it myself, so whichever type is the best combination of quality, ease of installation, and value is what I'm looking for. Second, I want to modify the exhaust system to give it a little more of a growl. Nothing to extreme, but something that's sounds a bit meaner. I like the look of the dual pipes coming out the back, but not sure how / if that effects the warrenty or anything like that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Lastly, when I first got the truck and was reading my manual it said in the specs. page that the proper filter to use is the AC Delco PF47. Now I had a Cavalier in the past, and that's the same filter the Cav used, so I'm thinking that's not the right one. Also, the first time I went to change the oil I noticed the thing had a AC Delco PF52 on it straight from the factory. I've been going with the PF52 because that's the one I would think is right, but not sure. I'm thinking my manual probably had a typo or something. As far as the whistling sound I wrote about last time. Talked to a buddy of mine who's a mechanic and has a hell of an ear for these types of things, and he thinks it has something to do with the Phlenum(?) or something like that. Anyway, it's part of the Air Intake / Exhaust system, and he didn't think it was anything to worry about. He thought you could probably take 20 of the S-10's, and 10 of them would make the same sound. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the rigs performance, so I'm not going to worry about it. That's part of the reason I'd like to get this exhaust system rumbling a little more, hopefully that will take care of it. On another note. You guys out west and down south don't know how good you have it. Our highway department spreads so damn much salt on these roads up here whenever it snows that I'm going broke going to the carwash trying to keep the exterior and underbody clean. :cry: Since I bought the thing brand new a few months ago, and waited about two years to get it, I'm uptight as hell about keeping it looking showroom. I guess that's the price you pay living in the land of 10,000 lakes. Anyway, summer is hopefully on it's way soon, so it should get better then. Later.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

As for the tonneau cover...not sure. I think someone here had one for sale a while ago, not sure who or if it's still available though.

For the exhaust, I'd go with the Flowmaster 40-series Delta Flow. Good flow, moderate rumble at idle, and good moderate roar under acceleration. I just heard one on a guys 01 ZR2 a couple days ago. It was a little quiet for me, but I'm used to driving an LS1 Z28 with open exhaust, so you'll probably like it if you want a good mellow tone. :)

I'm pretty sure the manual is wrong for the filer too. Not sure why, but the one on the truck is definitely not a PF47...those are way too small.

And about the weather...I know exactly how good I have it. I used to live in Indiana and winters sucked there. Here in Phoenix today it's 85 and sunny. I love the desert. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:As for the tonneau cover...not sure. I think someone here had one for sale a while ago, not sure who or if it's still available though.

For the exhaust, I'd go with the Flowmaster 40-series Delta Flow. Good flow, moderate rumble at idle, and good moderate roar under acceleration. I just heard one on a guys 01 ZR2 a couple days ago. It was a little quiet for me, but I'm used to driving an LS1 Z28 with open exhaust, so you'll probably like it if you want a good mellow tone. :)

I'm pretty sure the manual is wrong for the filer too. Not sure why, but the one on the truck is definitely not a PF47...those are way too small.

And about the weather...I know exactly how good I have it. I used to live in Indiana and winters sucked there. Here in Phoenix today it's 85 and sunny. I love the desert. 8)

That PF47 is what my dealer used when they changed my oil :x , they won't be touching my CC except for warrenty. I use the PF52 & Mobil 1
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Modifications

Post by HenryJ »

Freeser wrote:Looking at adding a few extras to the CREW CAB,

Second, I want to modify the exhaust system to give it a little more of a growl. Nothing to extreme, but something that's sounds a bit meaner. suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I had a Cavalier in the past, and that's the same filter the Cav used, so I'm thinking that's not the right one.
First Welcome aboard :D

Exhaust: bigger pipe = Deeper tone (IMO) , If it is too big and it won't get hot enough to burn out the condensation and reduce the longevity of the system.

I like my single 3" cat back, w/ FM delta flow muffler. Not too loud, but you can hear it.

As to the filter: My wife has a '93 Cavalier Convertable 3.1L V-6 and we both use the same filter. Not the stock shorter one. I use NAPA #1036 or FRAM # PH3600

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK