A/C compressor chirp?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

likuidkewl

A/C compressor chirp?

Post by likuidkewl »

All,
I have an '04 CC ZR5 with a "chirp". I found out through a little detective work, it only happens with the A/C, vent, Defroster, etc. in the on position at any fan speed. I had the shop look at the compressor, belt, and tensioner they said all were in fine operating condition and that there was nothing they could do about it.
So I thought I would see if anyone else has had/remedied this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Describe the chirp. Does it happen when the AC comes on, or turns off. Is it like a continuous squealing, or kinda like an alarm chirp?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
likuidkewl

Post by likuidkewl »

At higher RPMs, such as right before it shifts (Automatic BTW) or right after.
But not while idling, it is a high pitched quick, less than a second "chirp".
It sounds almost like the tensioner is getting to taught when the RPMs get high.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Mine does that every now and then. I've never paid it much attention. It could be from a hard shift. Maybe the tranny shifting hard, and the belt slips slightly. That would be my guess.
--Walt
likuidkewl

Post by likuidkewl »

That is my guess, but it happens all the time when the A/C compressor is on and it gets annoying because I know it is there, jut one of those things I guess.

But if anyone has a fix, besides turning off the compressor all the time :)
feel free to share...

Thanks..
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmm....you got me on this one. Maybe Brule or Steve will chime in before long. :)
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have the same sort of thing with a shift at high rpm. I think that a different belt may be the answer.
Steve suggested that his belt never does this. It may have been a "Gatorback" ?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
likuidkewl

Post by likuidkewl »

Thanks for the information, I may look into that.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Steve suggested that his belt never does this. It may have been a "Gatorback" ?
I have a Goodyear Gatorback belt on all of my vehicles and they are much nicer than the stock belt. :wink: They run quieter, transfer more power, and don't slip on the pulleys since they have "teeth" instead of smooth ridges. :D IMHO, these are the best aftermarket belts made. :wink: Dayco makes a similar belt called a poly-cog however they tend to make a little more noise due to the placement of the "teeth". :)

Steve
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

ive always noticed a slight "whine" from the Goodyear Gatorback belts, over conventional belts, at higher rpm. nothing annoying really.

and im not sure they have more grip, or not, since they dont have quite as much surface contact area with the pulley groves.

but they certainly are more flexible. not sure if that helps anything either, but it seems they could bend around small, alternator and idler pulleys more easily.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

I have the chirp sound also. I only hear it when I'm driving. It happens at different times and speeds. I will definitely check the a/c compressor next. It's funny, because I was just describing the sound to a friend today before I read this.
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I don't really know if this might be it, but if I keep my AC at the #1 setting, the compressor cycles on and off constantly, and it usually causes a chirp as the clutch engages.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

I played around with my a/c on the way home from work today, and I really think it is my a/c compressor. I drove with the a/c on until I heard the chirp start, then I shut it off and it stopped. Thank God winter is almost here. I guess a Gatorback is in order now.
Damn, I love this site!!!
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Which Gatorback belt (Part #) should I order if everything under the hood is stock (meaning I don't have any aftermarket accessories like a new alternator or anything else that would throw off the size).

Thanks
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Which Gatorback belt (Part #) should I order if everything under the hood is stock (meaning I don't have any aftermarket accessories like a new alternator or anything else that would throw off the size).

Thanks
I got mine from Summit Racing Part # GTR-4060950. :wink:

The belt is 6 rib with a 95" length.

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Thanks Steve! I bought one today at Murray's Autoparts for 29.99 and put it on. Took me 10 minutes to do it. All of the squeeling has gone away!! The real test will be tomorrow morning when I go into work, but as of right now, I think the noises are gone!!!!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

All is well with it! Went to and from work today and not a sound!
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

Feel any increase in power?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Noma02 wrote:Feel any increase in power?
:? A new belt will not increase power. :?

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

No increase in power, but big time noise reduction!!
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

That will have to be the next thing I do!
[size=75]2002 Sonoma crew cab. Mod air box. drop in K&N air filter , Tonneau cover.[/size] Bug deflector, vent guards. Step rail next!