Cleaning Engine bay?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Cleaning Engine bay?

Post by ace »

Anybody know the right way to clean the engine bay and what to use?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Cleaning Engine bay?

Post by F9K9 »

ace wrote:Anybody know the right way to clean the engine bay and what to use?
I hope you are braced for about forty eleven miracle techniques and cleaners :lol:

I used to just use a commercial car wash to clean it and if, I got the distributer wet where it wouldn't start, I'd pop the distributer cap off, spray a little WD 40 inside, snap it back on and truck on.

To many electronics nowadays to get very radical. Personally, I use something like Crown from wallyword or Mean Green from Sav-a-lot. I use a wallworld bag and protect my K&N FIPK, avoid my distributer and do it cold.

I am sure you will get a ton of suggestions shortly. I have not cleaned mine in over a year but if. JIM has a suggestion then, I would look pretty close at it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I don't know if there is a right way, but here is how I clean the engine bays in all my vehicles. :wink: Make sure the engine has cooled down. Get a spray bottle and put about a 1/4" inch of car wash soap in the bottle and fill with hot water. Cover the alternator and air filter if you have an exposed one like on a cold air intake with some plastic bags. Next spray the soapy solution all over everything. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to soak in. Then I hook up my Craftsman garden hose to my washer's hot water valve. To make things easy I bought a brass Y connector with 2 ball valves. I have one hooked up to my washer and the other one is for the Craftsman hose. Spray the entire engine compartment down with hot water to rinse off all the soap and then let air dry for 30 minutes or so. I have been using this technique for over 10 years on at least 8 different vehicles and I have never had a problem as a result. :wink: This is also how I prep my SS for car shows. :D

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I soak the dirty parts of the cool engine down with something like "Gunk Degreaser", let sit for 20 minutes or so, and then rinse engine down with water. (For Petroleum based cleaners do not not start engine until it has been throughly rinsed off).

If I use a citrus based degreaser/cleaner, I spray the soiled parts, start the engine for about a minute or two, (just enough to get it warm to help the degreaser), and then rinse everything off about 20 minutes later.

Just my $.02.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

ive never had a problem washing the engine at the car wash.
i just use the wand set to "soap", and i often get pretty aggressive with it.
i usually let the engine cool down a few minutes first, then spray it lightly at first, to let the exh. manifolds cool, then hit it wide open.

i often use WD40, or something similar to wipe down metal and plastic parts uner hood.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Lestoil just mix some and put it in a spray bottle. I use a paint brush to knock off the heavy areas. It doesn't stink like engine cleaners and it will knock the road film and oil rite off. Its cheap and has many uses. Try it you'll like it.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Out at work we use a good old steam cleaner but not to long on it, It take the black coating of the frame :shock: first time I used It
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I've always just used some Mean Green or Simple Green in a spray bottle. Spray it on while the engine is warm but not hot, let it sit for a couple minutes, take a scrub brush to the stubborn spots and then start the vehicle and spray the engine off with clean water. Of course you have to be careful not to soak the distibuter. I then close the hood and leave it running for about 5 minutes to heat dry. Shut it off, pop the hood, wipe up any excess water with an old towel, then spray all of the hoses and plastic with whatever shine stuf I used for my tires. I have done cars this way for as long as I can remember.

My buddy used to get Engine Brite foaming degreaser from the local parts store and do his old Malibu at the coin car wash with their high pressure water.

Any of the suggestions above would work great though.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]