Ultimate Fuel Efficiency Thread

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ultimate Fuel Efficiency Thread

Post by Blaze One »

I have been looking around trying to find all the little "tricks" , mods and/or adjustments to get the best fuel economy out of the 4.3 V6.

There were a few threads scattered through out the web , each with some good and bad ideas .

I thought that it may be a good idea ( with rising fuel prices ) that we have a thread dedicated to all things fuel saving .

So post up what mods you know of , tuning tricks , performance products that helped or whatever you think helped your fuel milliage .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

keep your tires inflated
do the speed limit
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I get 17-18 mpg average. :D I have never got less than 15 mpg, and my best was 20mpg. Mods are in my sig line. I also use synthetic gear oil in the diffs and synthetic motor oil. My tire pressures are 38 psi front, and 35 psi rear. When I remove my tailgate I always gain another 1 mpg. That's all I can think of right now! :wink:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

jeff024 wrote:do the speed limit
:lol: If I do the speed limit I will get run off the road! Nobody in CA does the speed limit. :wink: If it says 65, you had better go 80! :roll:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Driving the speed limit and doing my best impersonation of a little ol' blue haired lady (while being passed by overloaded coal trucks on the parkway) took me from 11mph (city) to over 20 mph with the combination of 2 lane rural roads, 55 mph parkways and 65 mph interstates. The mod is the best, let alone, cheapest, That I have had experience with! Image

BTW, I performed the same "mod" in a "for real fire breathing solid lifter '69 302CI Z-28" and got better results but, not by much :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:BTW, I performed the same "mod" in a "for real fire breathing solid lifter '69 302CI Z-28" and got better results but, not by much :wink:
You got better gas mileage in your Z-28 than you do in your CC? :shock: Reed, there you go talking about that Z-28 again! :cry: If they weren't so outrageously priced would you get one again? 8) You know you want another one! :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
f9k9 wrote:BTW, I performed the same "mod" in a "for real fire breathing solid lifter '69 302CI Z-28" and got better results but, not by much :wink:
You got better gas mileage in your Z-28 than you do in your CC? :shock: Reed, there you go talking about that Z-28 again! :cry: If they weren't so outrageously priced would you get one again? 8) You know you want another one! :wink:

Steve
Need you ask?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I have noticed that my CC gets better mileage if I try to keep the revs at or below 2K. May not be practical for all, but it works for short trips through town.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I try to keep the RPMs below 2000 when acelerating too .
I still seem to only get about 186 miles to a tank , with about 4 gallons left in the tank when I go to refill .
I just had a tune up , but I don' think stuff like the PCV valve has been looked at , where is it ?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Blaze One wrote:I don' think stuff like the PCV valve has been looked at , where is it ?
Drivers side valve cover! :wink: Pull it out and shoot some carb cleaner into it. It should rattle when you shake it. If it's really gummed up just get a new one. :)

Steve
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Alrighty , checked the PCV valve , it rattles and I sprayed it out with some carb cleaner , also double checked the throttle body blades for carbon build up . And there was lots . I sprayed it out as good I could , but some would not come off the walls of the opening.

Maybe time to try that Seafoam stuff .

What about those plugs that are in the air intake tube going from the Throttle body to the air cleaner box ? Anything that should be checked with those.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Blaze One wrote:What about those plugs that are in the air intake tube going from the Throttle body to the air cleaner box ? Anything that should be checked with those.
:?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think it is the IAT sensor , to which he is referring. Lightly cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab as with the MAF sensors would be a good idea.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I think it is the IAT sensor , to which he is referring. Lightly cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab as with the MAF sensors would be a good idea.
I thought that's what he meant! :lol: The best cleaner I have used for cleaning the MAF and IAT sensors is CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner! :D Even with Q-tips you can make a mistake and break one of those small wires. You can't mess anything up with a spray cleaner, and this stuff is specifically formulated to clean MAF's unlike rubbing alcohol. :wink:

Steve