Removal of tint from windows

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Removal of tint from windows

Post by kc5gxc »

Hi Guys
My 2002 S-10 was bought used...got a really nice tint job on the windows...but it must come off, cuz it's too dark and they don't want to sell me an inspection sticker. Didn't think it was too dark, but they told me if you can't read one's driver Lic. numbers thru the glass, it's too dark...well, I can't read 'em.
You all got any reccomendations on removing the tint ?
Thanks.... Pete in MS
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I used to have to remove my tint before inspections when I lived in PA. It's a bit of a pain. Just peel what you can get a hold of first. Then you have to use a razor blade window scraper. Get yourself a good quality adhesive remover and lots of rags because you'll have tons of glue on the windows. Keep applying that adhesive remover and scrape off the glue. Use the rags to keep your blade clean. Just be careful that you keep the blade as parallel to the glass as you can so that you don't scratch the glass.

Once you get it all off, get your inspection sticker, the RE-TINT!!! :D
That's what I always did anyway! :!: :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

a new razor blade, and some window cleaner!! start in one corner, slipping the blade between the glass and the tint, it'll probably come off in strips. use the window cleaner to get the remaining glue off. this has worked for me. good luck!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

Thanks
I will get started on it soon. I kinda liked it but they say it's gotta go.
Pete
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ya, with the new tint laws in MS, things are going to get ugly :lol:

An MHP friend of mine told me that anything below 35% will be illegal. By I think march or april, every business licensed to give inspection stickers will have to have an MHP approved device to check tint. They're allowing a 3% difference, so anyone with less than 32% gets no sticker. This of course includes any aftermarket tint combined with the factory tinted glass. Factory tinted glass by itself is fine.

At first I was told that no one would be writing tickets....you just couldn't get an inspection sticker, but a few weeks ago my friend said that they will also be writing tickets, and that each trooper will carry a device to check tint as well.

Kinda sucks doesn't it :(
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I had to remove tint from my SS once, because my wife got pulled over in it and the CHP officer wrote her a ticket for having tint on the front windows. It is illegal around here to have tint on the front windows unless it's clear, but mine was limo dark. :roll: I removed mine with some tint remover and a plastic scraper purchased at Wally World. The stuff worked really well and I was able to peel off each side in one whole sheet. I wouldn't recommend razor blades on curved glass unless you are super careful, because they scratch glass very easily. :wink:

Steve
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

What about the front windshield....I have a nice band at the top of the windshield...it's about 6" down from the top and all the way across it.
Sure does a good job for the eyes when the sun is shining. Think it's ok to leave that tint on??? Guess sides and back have to go for sure!
Thanks
Pete in MS
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Pete, from what I understand the band at the top will probably have to go too, but I'll check to make sure first.
--Walt
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

Thanks, Walt. I'll check back to see what you find.
Pete
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Turns out you're fine with the strip at the top of the windshield. I wouldn't go any lower than 4" from the top though. He said as long as you don't go lower than 4", you'll be fine. But the side and back windows have to go.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I did a little research on theMS tint laws and the window tint laws appear unchanged since 1988. There may be a recent change that I am not finding but it has been like Walt has been saying.

I like my tint as well as anyone but, I hope everyone knows the reasons for the regulations. Not everyone will lower a window in cold weather to make a turn is one reason. Not being able to see into a vehicle during a traffic stop makes the police very uneasy approaching that vehicle on foot. The stop could be for you rolling through a stop sign or the officer could accidently be stopping someone that just committed an armed robbery. The robbers will assume that he is looking for them when in fact, they merely rolled through a stop sign. The guy/gal in the back seat of the stopped vehicle may have a weapon leveled at the officer and he/she is walking into an ambush. It is not pleasant feeling walking up on a violators vehicle at night with dark tint.

If you do get stopped at night, do what I would do and turn on every interior lighting option that your vehicle possesses as soon as you pull off the roadway.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

Thanks, Walt and everyone.
I bought the truck like this. Tint is fine with me in the summertime, but I could care less in the winter....ha ha.
I'll leave the stuff on the windshield and take the rest off when it gets nice and warm outside....hear it comes off better then.
Thanks
Pete
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:If you do get stopped at night, do what I would do and turn on every interior lighting option that your vehicle possesses as soon as you pull off the roadway.
Unless it is raining I usually roll down all the windows as a courtesy for the officer and have actually been thanked for doing this. :D Their job can be dangerous, so it's nice to show them that you actually care. :wink:

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

f9k9 wrote: Not being able to see into a vehicle during a traffic stop makes the police very uneasy approaching that vehicle on foot. The stop could be for you rolling through a stop sign or the officer could accidently be stopping someone that just committed an armed robbery. The robbers will assume that he is looking for them when in fact, they merely rolled through a stop sign. The guy/gal in the back seat of the stopped vehicle may have a weapon leveled at the officer and he/she is walking into an ambush. It is not pleasant feeling walking up on a violators vehicle at night with dark tint.

If you do get stopped at night, do what I would do and turn on every interior lighting option that your vehicle possesses as soon as you pull off the roadway.
Very well put Reed. Tint laws are rarely enforced here in AZ, and there have been several instances where I have approached a vehicle only to realize once at the driver's window that the vehicle is full of dope and or illegal aliens ready to bailout the passenger side. :shock:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I used to have an '83 s-10 Blazer about 10 years ago. I put on 5% tint. I had called the OHIO state popo office before i did it and asked what the legal limits are. I was going to go darker than they said anyway but, i just wanted to see. Since i had a Blazer he said if i really wanted too i could spray paint the back and back sides black if I wanted it that dark and still be legal. (Basically like a cargo van with no windows). But, on the driver and passenger door should not be less than 35%. I got pulled over for speeding 62mph in a 55 mph. and the popo walked up with the meter in his hand. Since i knew i was busted i had the both windows down. He asked me to roll my window up a little and check it and it was 6%. I was lucky though. He wrote me a $90 ticket for window tint and no points instead of an $85 ticket with points for speed.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Good point Reed. I've been pulled over by the MHP fairly often, and the ones that know me and my vehicle usually just walk right up. But for the ones that don't, they approach with a hand on their weapon, as close to the side of my vehicle as possible.

I can't remember exactly, but this law goes into effect sometime in January....if it hasn't already. My info comes from the MHP Officer over R Troop, which handles inspection stickers, driver testing, etc... It may take a while for anything to be posted online. :)
--Walt
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I don't know about Mississippi, but in West Virginia, the tint on the winshield can come no lower than the AS1 mark on the windshield, or no lower than 4 inches from the top, which ever is shorter.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

rlrnr53 wrote:I don't know about Mississippi, but in West Virginia, the tint on the winshield can come no lower than the AS1 mark on the windshield, or no lower than 4 inches from the top, which ever is shorter.
It's the same here :)
--Walt
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

I removed tint from the door windows today. It was very dificult to get the glue off. Spent about 2 hours working on it. I have the Gila tint off, but can't see any benefit from it. I used it, but the glue stayed on. Nothing I had would soften it for removal except gasoline. Gas got it soft and I could scrape it off with a razor blade. Only gas!
I can't find how to get it off the back vent windows and the back window...heck, maybe that was dark from the factory....can't see any aftermarket stuff attached like the windows had. I got some Gila under saran wrap soaking overnite on those windows....
The tint on the top of the windshield is about 6" in the middle and as it comes to the sides it gets wider. Guess I better get it off.
Tomorrow I will check to see if the Gila has loosened anything...if not, I'll clean it all off and put the truck in the light and see if all the glass is about the same. If there's tint on the back, the guy that did it was sure a pro.
Thanks, Pete
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

what kinda truck is it?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

Truck is a 2002 extended cab LS 4 cyl 5 speed standard.
Pete
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

By the way, there's a tag on the front windshield from the tint mfg....
It says:
MSS-63-59
DPS/MHP APPROVED
C.P. FILMS
VLT:+35% VLR:-20%
1-800-LLUMAR-1
I called 'em and they said it would be best if I had it tested on the VLT with the new law....they were sure the VLR was ok .
Thanks, Pete
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have not tried it on tint but, I have had excellent luck with a product called "OOPS" in removing adhesives. It's found in Wallyworld's paint department. It comes in a spray and liquid and I think it works well. I might try that before I had to resort to gas.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the tint on the rear windows is most likely factory tint
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
kc5gxc
Regular
Regular

Post by kc5gxc »

I think you may be rite. Never noticed the difference before but tomorrow I will put my glasses on and put the truck in the sun and clean off all the gunk and saran wrap and see.
As far as "OOPS", I had some "DISSOLVEIT" which is really impressive as an adhesive remover....it wouldn't even touch this stuff !!!!!
Not to say that the oops ain't good stuff, but can't see buying any more stuff as I already spent +$6 on a bottle of Gila that ain't working.(or I'm doing something wrong)...anyway, will use the gas if needed, for the stuff at the top of the windshield and then be finished with tint....I hope...ha ha
Thanks, Pete
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

I think I used straight ammonia in a spray bottle when I peeled mine with a razor blade and I don't remember it being too difficult. But that was several years ago. Worth a try, even though this is an old post.
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]