door hinges

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

door hinges

Post by Justin »

so I was talking to someone from s-series.org and he had a 97 s-10 and he had to replace his door hinges allready. Are our doors that heavy compared to toehr mid-size doors and is it true that our hinges go that quickly? :?:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

never heard of that one.

that is unless you damage them by hanging on them.

or if you live south of dallas where the wind blows 200mph year around, and sometimes when you open your door, the wind jerks it from your hand and slams it open. that can happen too :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Doesn't make sense.

The door on the Crew would be the same as on a S-10 Pick-up, the front door that is. I never heard of a hinge needing to be replaced.

I would not worry. The rear doors are smaller than the front.

It is possible that it had a rust problem, or the owner did not lubricate it, and the hinge sprung.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Five years without proper lubrication sounds about right.

You just replace the pins and bushings.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
scotty

Post by scotty »

:? Havn't had any problem with my S-10s.

But i did have to replace the third door handle on my 98 6 time's due to cheep plastic :x .

If you live in the mid or east coast you do need to grease up the bushing

and hinges

Good luck Scotty 8)
Just got our red s-10 crew cab. This is our third truck. All s-10 This one all i can say is it is awsome!!!!!
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

No problems yet but my last Sonoma the hinges started to squeak alot :x So i just sprayed some teflon on and voil‡...no more squeaking...hehehehhe :D :D :D :D I'll probably doing the same to my Crewcab :wink:

Christian Jacques

2002 S-10 Crewcab LS
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:never heard of that one.

that is unless you damage them by hanging on them.

or if you live south of dallas where the wind blows 200mph year around, and sometimes when you open your door, the wind jerks it from your hand and slams it open. that can happen too :D

If the wind blew 200mph I dont think the door would be the only thing riped from your hand :lol: :wink:
pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

Post by pbeachcruzer »

the problem with s-10 door hinges is on the extended cab versions with the 3rd door option. what happens is that there is no real support on the latch side of the door and the extra weight the hinges carry makes them wear out faster.
Jim

Re: door hinges

Post by Jim »

Justin wrote:so I was talking to someone from s-series.org and he had a 97 s-10 and he had to replace his door hinges allready. Are our doors that heavy compared to toehr mid-size doors and is it true that our hinges go that quickly? :?:

I just put new pins & all the bushings in my 98 drivers side. It's a piece of cake if you have the GM spring removal tool. Took less than an hour & that included detailing the jamb! The bushings are bronze if not lubricated the will not last.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I just came across a little problem with my left rear door.

The door was squeaking a little , so I finally got around to doing something about it. I found the top hinge had no spring clip retainer and the pin had slid down to where it was rubbing on the spring.

I pushed (pryed) it back up , but I didn't have a retaining clip. Guess I'll have to get one Monday.

The clip is still there on the right side.

Might be worth a look to see if they are intact.

The upper hinge is the only one that requires a clip, since the pin slides in from the bottom side.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:I just came across a little problem with my left rear door.

The door was squeaking a little , so I finally got around to doing something about it. I found the top hinge had no spring clip retainer and the pin had slid down to where it was rubbing on the spring.

I pushed (pryed) it back up , but I didn't have a retaining clip. Guess I'll have to get one Monday.

The clip is still there on the right side.

Might be worth a look to see if they are intact.

The upper hinge is the only one that requires a clip, since the pin slides in from the bottom side.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: Yes, that's the piece that's missing!

Thanks so much for the picture, Jim :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

My rear left door is squeaking also. I goto check it out also. What are you guys using to lube them?

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:My rear left door is squeaking also. I goto check it out also. What are you guys using to lube them?

Con

Two Words

http://www.miraclelube.com
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My two words...Fluid film.

Eureka Chemical company

I get it at our local John Deere dealer.

P.S. I'm always looking for new things. I'd never seen the stuff above , so I ordered a can of the Miracle Lube. Thanks again Jim

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I got the can of miracle lube and tried it on my hinges. It goes on clear which is nice. The Fluid Film is a yellowish brown color.

The miracle lube seems to be a bit thinner in consistency, with less fizz, for lack of a better term.

I do like the cleaner apperance :D We'll see how it performs, Thanx Jim!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

HenryJ wrote:I got the can of miracle lube and tried it on my hinges. It goes on clear which is nice. The Fluid Film is a yellowish brown color.

The miracle lube seems to be a bit thinner in consistency, with less fizz, for lack of a better term.

I do like the cleaner apperance :D We'll see how it performs, Thanx Jim!

Sorry, but I've gotta say it,.... You've got way to much time on your hands... lol :lol:
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hmmm.... maybe things like this are why I never have any spare time :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RamJetV-8

Post by RamJetV-8 »

All late model S-10 trucks are prone to early hinge bushing failure, even when properly lubricated. It's a material defect that can be helped by frequent lubrication, but even properly lubricated pins and bushings are failing due to material defects.

Fortunately, it's an easy fix.
Bob Kazian

Greer, SC
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

My rear doors started squeaking and I was at BigLots and found some spray White Grease(Generic brand name) for $1.50. It was very similar to the products aboved and worked like a charm. I def. would recommend hitting all your vehicle doors with this stuff. I even did my Trooper and it's so quiet now too.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i have already greased my doors. they have squeaked a few times
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:Two Words

http://www.miraclelube.com
If you want to know how well this stuff stays put to lubricate, spray it on a window.

I accidentally left some on my wifes window while replacing the power lock bell cranks, and lubing the window tracks and latch mechanisms.

Nothing will take it off. Not windshield cleaner, window cleaner with ammonia, Dawn dishwashing liquid, tried wiping with dry terry cloth.

Finally tried universal adhesive remover. That ,somewhat, cut the stuff , but there is still a smudged residue.

It is pretty amazing. You can smear it with your finger, but can't wipe it off :crazy:

Anyone have a current website for this stuff?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote: Anyone have a current website for this stuff?
Look down the list on this page there is an 800#
http://www.infomercialindex.com/nfcat/nftools.html
or call Mike Lefebvre 401-723-9099 (sales rep)
Best Regards, Jim
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: door hinges

Post by Ken »

Justin wrote:so I was talking to someone from s-series.org and he had a 97 s-10 and he had to replace his door hinges allready. Are our doors that heavy compared to toehr mid-size doors and is it true that our hinges go that quickly? :?:

Very common failure with GM trucks in general, full size or s-10 series. Replace bins and bushings on upper and lower hinges. I think they are just poorly made, lubing may extent them for a little while but it's just a matter of time. I have seen a number of them replaced on the passenger side as well as drivers side. Most of the time the rt side door does not get nearly the same amount of use the drivers door does?????
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

My 2002 S-10 CC drivers side door fell because the pins and bushing were worn. I know a couple other guys on here that had the same problem with the drivers side door. If your passenger side door is getting used alot this is the reason.
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

on my 2000 blazer my passenger side front door went out b/c one of my retarted friends hung on my door, he hasn't been back in my car since.

But this is also the same kid that is an absolute dumbass. After totalling his bonneville in a corn field, he got a freshly rebuilt 72 c10 with 2 week old paint and put a dent down the drivers side from the middle of the door all the way down the long bed and broke the taillight out too. After that everybody started hating him. Retarted people piss me off.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Miracle Lube was a nice choice, but I have been on a search for a better solution. Miracle Lube's website is gone, and finding it is difficult at best.
Miracle Lube
Spray-on penetrating grease.
$19.95 plus $4.95 S&H.
800-813-5533
The next problem is the 8 oz can costs $20 + shipping. That is not a good option.
I did like the performance. Lubricates well. Drys clear. Penetrates well. Drys to a greaselike consistency.

It turns out the solution was in the owners manual all along.
GM VehicleCare: Super Lube Multi Purpose Lubricant
  • Safe to use on plastic parts
    Turns into grease after application
    Lubricates with PTFE

Part # 12346241
Gr.8.800 Net weight 11 oz (311g)

Contains Heptane , Hydrotreated light distillate, 1-Decene, teramer mixed with 1-decene trimmer, hydrogenated- Carbon dioxide-silane, dichlorodimethyl-, reaction products with silica-Tetraflouroethylene polymer-

Superlube is a registered trademark of Synco Chemical Corporation

This is the recommended lubricant for hinges , latches, lock cylinders , filler door, tailgate , weatherstrip squeaks, etc.

The can is a higher pressure than the Miracle lube was, and perhaps a little less "fizz" or carbonation. It really does spray nicely. It tends to wash any residual as it is applied. You have to spray just a little and quickly.

Online pricing ranged from a low of $5.75 to a full retail of $9+ shipping. I wanted to try it so I purchased from a local dealer and paid $6.83.
That is a whole bunch better value than the Miracle Lube.
The product seems to be virtually the same.
HenryJ wrote:Posted: 30 Mar 2003- I just came across a little problem with my left rear door.
Found the right rear door upper pin falling down. The spring clip was still there so I pushed the pin upward and tapped the spring clip down.
Watch those rear door pins! The upper pins tend to work their way down. If you catch it in time there should be no damage done, and it will be an easy fix/adjustment.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed May 17, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Primis light viscosity lube gel is the best stuff I have ever used on hinges. I've tried several other lubricants and this one is by far the best. :wink: It's not messy and it's thick enough to stay put, and best of all it's inexpensive ($3) and can be purchased at good ol Wally World. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Primis light viscosity lube gel is the best stuff I have ever used on hinges. I've tried several other lubricants and this one is by far the best. :wink: It's not messy and it's thick enough to stay put, and best of all it's inexpensive ($3) and can be purchased at good ol Wally World. :D

Steve
Which viscosity? Automotive section in Wallyworld? If you have it on the west coast, it may take awhile to get here. I have never seen it on the shelves. May have to use HJ's suggestion until it reaches here. I recently read an article on "Crown" cleaner, it's home is nearby, and how Sam Walton saw it used and wanted to carry it. It takes awhile for a product to hit all 50 states due to Walmart managers liking a product and ordering it for the location of their future location.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Automotive section in Wallyworld? If you have it on the west coast, it may take awhile to get here. I have never seen it on the shelves.
It's in the automotive section at Wallyworld, and I've been getting this stuff there for the past 5 years. :D The can is not very big, maybe half the size of spray paint can. Click the link to see picture if you haven't done so already. One can usually lasts me 1 year. :wink:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe this would be helpful! :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I looked Steve but, will look again for it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i use a lubricant called Maxima Chain Wax on my door and hood hinges, and even on houshold uses. its designed for motorcycle chains, but works very well on many things.

it sprays on like a solvent, the dries to a wax like consistency. it isnt sticky, or messy after it dries. it doesnt attract dirt. and it doesnt leave a nasty white residue like lithium sprays do. smells like crayons while drying....
i`ve used this stuff for nearly 15 years now. its great.
and for you motorcyle owners, this stuff absolutely does not have any "sling off" from drive chains. none...

http://www.maximausa.com/products/chain ... ainwax.asp

my driver door has had a worn upper bushing since i bought it, and this stuff seems to have kept it from getting much worse.

my driver side rear door has a frozen cam follower wheel that slides, rather than rolls across the cam lever,and no ammount of penetrating oil, and rotating it with pliers to free it up has helped much, but at least the chain wax helps it slide without making poping and grinding noises....
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

crew cab sonoma wrote:
my driver side rear door has a frozen cam follower wheel that slides, rather than rolls across the cam lever,and no ammount of penetrating oil, and rotating it with pliers to free it up has helped much, but at least the chain wax helps it slide without making poping and grinding noises....
I didn't know it was suppose to roll. :shock: This is why my drivers door pops sometime. I'm going to hit with some PB Blaster and see if that will free it up. If the Blaster doesn't work I try a combo of blaster and heating the wheel with a soldering iron. A little heat may help. I'll let you know if it works.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Maybe this would be helpful! :D

Steve

I found it at wallyworld, bought some, decided to do the hinges, grabbed the can of Primis off "our" shelf, hosed 'em down, thought it was unusually foamy when done, checked the can and it was window cleaner for Mrs Hoff's heavily modded Cavalier. Must be hid in my truck with other hidden purchases :lol: