The elusive door spring tool

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rlith
Crew
Crew

The elusive door spring tool

Post by rlith »

Well, a lot of people have no idea what a door spring tool is or where to get them. Simply put a door spring tool compresses the firming spring in the door jam. Removal and reinstallation of this spring is necessary when servicing your hinge pins, bushings and hinges on any car door. Unfortunatly I've found that places like Autozone, Advance, Pepboys, Carquest, etc don't carry this tool. Fortunatly you can buy it online or do what I did, go to your local autobody shop the day their tool guy shows up and pay him direct...(Or if you happen to see a Snap-on truck, grab him). This is much easier than fighting with a prybar or trying to wire it down...

I picked up a Steck door spring tool. Steck part # 21900 http://www.steckmfg.com/21900.htm

Cost is $15.00

Simply push the tool in under the ends of the spring (not the outside of the spring) and tighten the 13mm nut on the side with a box wrench. The spring will simply compress and you pull the spring out. Install in reverse. Granted, pretty much everything described is simple, but this message is mostly for the inexperienced among us that we try to help.

Here is a pic in case you do manage to find it at a regular autoparts store..

[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for the information.

BADs crew did a write up recently - S10 door hinges
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

HenryJ wrote:Thanks for the information.
No prob... :)
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]