Diagnosing AC problem (Air Conditioning not working)

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Diagnosing AC problem (Air Conditioning not working)

Post by HenryJ »

I have been helping a member via PM, and though everyone might benefit from some AC trouble shooting. Even some things that I missed might be picked up by someone here?
It's intermittent and hard to pin down. I know it's electrical but don't know enough about the A/C system to properly troubleshoot it. The compressor will just shut down. Sometimes it will come back on after a few seconds and sometimes it will take anywhere from five to twenty minutes. I checked the R134 charge and it's fine. At first, I thought it was the relay but after replacing it, I still have the problem. Then I thought it was the relay socket because the relay would open and close after wiggling it so I put some different connectors in the socket and hooked them up to the relay to make sure it had a good solid connection. After this, I still have the problem. The weird thing about it is it only seems to happen when it's hot outside and sometimes it will happen after I give it a lot of gas like when I gun it to get around someone. It doesn't ever happen at night when the outside temp cools down and it always happens when I'm in stop and go traffic. I'm really scratching my head over this and don't want to spend the outragous prices to get it looked at by a professional...What do you know about how the A/C works?
I am an certified ASE air conditioning tech, with about 10 years experience. No expert , but I paid my $10 ;)
Is there a pressure switch somewhere that could be going bad ...
There are some things to check.

First the basics. Pull your grille to check the condenser for debris. Bugs , mud , dirt, chaff, etc. Then take loose the top fan shroud so that you can look in between the radiator and the condenser for the same debris. Cleaning this alone may fix your problems. A plugged up condenser can create overheating problems and an overpressure situation triggering the high pressure switch shutting down the compressor.

The condenser must be clean for the freon to make the change from gas to liquid and effectively dissipate the heat it is removing from your interior.

Now look everything over for signs of a leak. You will see an oily residue where the leak occurs as the refrigerant oil is the first thing to go. If there is a little dust it shows up pretty easily. Check around the hose connections, compressor clutch and filter dryer/dehydrator.

Next you need to check the electrical connections. You are right there is a low pressure switch over by your filter dryer (the aluminum canister near the heater/AC box on the firewall) It has two wires going into the top of it.

This will be tough, but you need to check this when you are having a problem. When the AC is not working and the clutch does not engage. Cut a two inch long piece of wire , strip the ends and use it as a jumper. Detach the connection to the low pressure switch and insert the jumper. Does the clutch engage? If it does everything else is OK in the electrical system.
The next thing you need to do here is check the pressures. This will require seeking the help of a tech, since you probably won't have a AC manifold gauge set lying around. If the pressure is up , then you are full of freon and the switch is bad. It is not all that common for the switches to fail , but it can happen. It is more likely for the system to be low on freon due to a leak.

Now for the rest of the electrical connections, should the clutch not have engaged when you jumpered the low pressure switch. On the back of the compressor is the high pressure switch. You need to test this with a multimeter. Unplug the connector and check for voltage in the light blue wire. This is the AC request wire and should be hot when the controls are in the AC mode. Next check the switch on the back of the compressor for continuity using an OHM meter. There should be continuity. The switch breaks it's connection when the pressure threshold is exceeded. If both of those check out then I would say that part is OK. I have only seen one of those fail in my experience.

Next is the compressor clutch if the other two check out and jumpering the low pressure switch didn't work. Try it again and test the connection to the fan clutch for voltage. If there is voltage and the clutch does not engage. Then the clutch is bad. I haven't had this happen. Usually when a clutch goes bad the bearings fail, it seizes, or catches fire. Pretty obvious things.

Of course check all the wiring for bare , shorted , damaged wiring.

That is probably about all you can do. If you are still having problems, you're going to have to see a mechanic. Keep in mind that they are only going to be able to fix what is broken. Intermittent problems are a real pain. You need to be able to repeat the problem for the mechanic.

Best of luck. If you carefully check everything above you may indeed narrow things down for a mechanic to repair, and save yourself quite a bit of shop time :mg:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Thanks Henry. I've been having this problem for a few years now. Also still having the wiper motor problem also. Maybe I can tackle the A/C now. I do have an A/C presure guage, so that'll help, but last time I checked, it was good and no leaks.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It very well could be a plugged condenser. Most AC problems go back to the inability to disapate the heat.

Most people tend to neglect cleaning the debris, myself included.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

could this be my problem ?
mine cools great while moving but if im sitting still for more then a few minutes its not really blowing cold anymore
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:...mine cools great while moving but if im sitting still for more then a few minutes its not really blowing cold anymore
Sounds like the air movement is not good. Make sure the condenser is clean as well as the radiator ,space between, and the shroud an fan are in good shape.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

thanks HJ that was a quick reply

2 minutes :)
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:could this be my problem ?
mine cools great while moving but if im sitting still for more then a few minutes its not really blowing cold anymore
Just from my experience in S-10s and two tahoes I have found this to happen happen even when new off the lot. I thought it was normal when outside temps were high. If I had to leave them running for any length of time I found that raising the hood made a big difference.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Heck, the only time I put the A/C on is when it's hot, like above 90, or the windows are open. I may as well rip the A/C out if it's always going to be like this. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

quickbiker wrote:Heck, the only time I put the A/C on is when it's hot, like above 90, or the windows are open. I may as well rip the A/C out if it's always going to be like this. lol
:moon: Its been over 100 for 27 days STRAIGHT here, and my compressor went belly-up apparently.. Messed with it a little sunday night, it almost turned a full turn without killing the engine.. but the day before it would kill the motor dead when the clutch engaged on the pump.. Wish mine was a s easy to fix as the possible overheated ones :bonk:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Like I said, probably better off just rip'n it out and toss'n it. I may end up doing that if I can't fix mine. Too much mainenance cost. lol
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

could my truck be this new and still need a charge ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:could my truck be this new and still need a charge ?
Only if there is a leak.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Or if the pressure is low or it needs it. Aren't we bright today? lol