Anyone have Paint Cracking issues ?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Anyone have Paint Cracking issues ?

Post by Blaze One »

So i was washing my truck today and found hundreds of tiny
1/16-1/8" " Y " shaped cracks on my hood and a small patch about 1"sq. of really small "y" cracks . I don't know if this is common but the paint on my truck has nothing but the best care since i owned it . Paint cleaner, polish and wax twice a year and sometimes just wax 2 more times .

I was just wondering if there is record of this happening to others or if there is a recall for bad paint .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

not sure about now but back in the 90s GM had paint recalls,and so far my trucks ok
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I only got cracks where the dents are. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've got several small chips in my hood and front fender tops but I suspect they are more likely from debris than faulty paint. I'm actually pretty happy with the durabilty of the finish. I very infrequently wax (never) unless you count the pretty colored stuff they spray on at the carwash and mine still shines like new after a good washing. I suspect results may vary depending on everything from color to climate though.

I'm pretty sure I remember someone here getting some damaged paint repaired under warranty. If you're still covered, it can't hurt to run by the dealer and ask.
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I had the same problem with mine a couple years ago. I noticed it when I was waxing the truck. It looks almost like little blisters. The dealer said it was from engine heat and re-painted it under warranty. It was the last thing I had done before the warranty ran out. My truck is black, I wonder if it is only a problem with a certain color.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The black paint is very thin on my CC, and I do have weird marks in the paint, but mainly on the hood. The clear coat is nothing to brag about either. I wonder if the robots painting these trucks are to blame. :lol: I wish humans still had an important role in assembling and painting these trucks, but it seems almost everything is automated these days. Remember the Terminator movies? I'll bet these truck are going to turn on us one of these days. :lol:

Steve
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

Overall, i am very disappointed in the quality of the paint on my crew. It does seem to be very thin and i even have a big run under one of the rear lights. Its my 1st black vehicle but it seem to get scratched really easy. I have been thinking about a new paint job.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Are the cracks in the clear coat or all the way through the paint? Mine is Dark Forest Green. I get the small scratch's in the clear coat but I use Zano wax now and when Im done they are gone. I hate to compound the truck because I don't want to remove any of the thin clear coat.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

The best way to describe mine were small (1/4" to 1/2") blisters that went all the way through the paint.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I have what looks like blisters on my hood and roof probably about 25 or so. Really looks like contamination in the paint. Not sure though. How long is the warranty on out paint on the trucks?
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]