Water Pump

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Water Pump

Post by jeff024 »

water pump gone at 64000 miles anyone else replaced theres yet?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Running Dex?

The reason that I ask is my neighbor is still running Dex in his 4.3L and his pump failed.
The coolant didn't look bad.

I am not out to bash the extended life coolants in this thread, but want to gather information.

Was it a bearing failure , or seal?

Obviously if the bearing fails it takes out the seal, but at times the seal will fail and the bearings will still feel OK.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
aa21830

Post by aa21830 »

I did mine at about 80,000 miles. I think it was just the seals; bearings still felt good. Definitely get the tool that separates the fan from the pump. I've heard that AutoZone will rent the tool. Other things to look out for is getting the seals aligned properly when you bolt on the new pump. You can't see them without a little mechanic's mirror. Also, there can be an air pocket in the hoses around the thermostat which will keep it closed. Can't remember how I solved that. Good luck!
[size=75]John S.
2004 BlaZeR2
1996 Sonoma 4x4[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yes HJ it still has the DEX in it and its all rusty colored I havent pulled the pump yet just noticed it last night when I got home and had to work all day today and just got home ,so its not lookin like I will be able to fool with it till mon or tue .
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:...it still has the DEX in it and its all rusty colored ...
Only being a 2004 that seems a little soon.
I see a cooling system flush in your future :mrgreen:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I stopped and picked up GREEN today
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:I stopped and picked up GREEN today
Are you out of warranty?
If you are not then they will likely refill with extended life coolant. It can be OK, if you watch it closely.

Are you still running the stock radiator cap?

I am looking for clues to the condition of the coolant , and cooling system.

Are you running the stock thermostat?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yes out of warranty

yes stock cap

yes stock thermostat

and like I said before it looks like mud or rust
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:...yes stock cap...it looks like mud or rust
This may be the culprit!
Get a new cap , make sure that it has a rubber gasket that goes all the way to the center and a spring loaded return valve.
This is the little metal valve in the center that opens under vacuum to draw the coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator when it cools.

The wrong caps do not have a spring and allow the possibility of air entering the system.

16 lbs will work. A Stant lever pressure relief cap only runs about $8.

I know that I have said this all before and a search should reveal the same information. The stock GM caps are not good. The seal is a fiber gasket that barely matches the radiator neck. When it shrinks it fails to align properly and allows air to enter the system. The poor seal created by the fibreous gasket is another concern as is the lack of a spring loaded return valve.

Summary: Get a new cap PLEASE!

When you flush the system remove the expansion tank to clean it out. There is no way to get it clean otherwise.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun May 29, 2005 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Your advice is well taken and I will do everything you have said, I thought it was to early to start having cooling problems.thanks HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:... I thought it was to early to start having cooling problems...
Boy! it really should have been.
Dex is pretty easily contaminated and there are two things that it does not like...air and heat.
If you over heat it, or get air into the system , change it.

Many have gone to the green, bear in mind that they are two different technologies.
Yes they both use ethylene glycol, but the extended life coolant (pink) uses an OAT base (Organic Acid Technology). Green opts more to the alkaline side, so as you can imagine they don't play well together.

When filling your system with either, it is best to dilute them using distilled water. This helps to maintain the PH they are designed with, limits the induction of heavy metals and other contaminants.

I like to keep one of those 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water in the garage at all times.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

When I flushed my system clean , I was able to get the air out of the heatercore and since then havent heard any gurgling.

I replaced with the new Prestone 50/50 extended life, ready to use. Mainly cause I didn't feel like making another stop for Distilled water on my way home - plus I liked the idea of just grabbing that bottle when it was time to top it off.

This mix is green, and says it is compatible with any type of coolant -which was another one of my fears - that if I hadn't gotten all the dex out during the flush, that standard green would react with it.

I'm going to flush my system every year now, so I might go to standard green next year.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my trucks at a shop right now and they called and said they cant make it leak and a pressure test only shows the cap loosing pressure
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I still have stock everything at 71k miles. Still looks clear also. Knock on wood. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

called back and it leaked and is the pump and cap 390.00 parts and labor seems a bit high.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:called back and it leaked and is the pump and cap 390.00 parts and labor seems a bit high.
It really is a straight forward repair and if you have no tools $300 goes a long way.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:... pump and cap 390.00 parts and labor seems a bit high.
I think so too.
A new pump at NAPA is under $60 and a cap runs $8.
I'd say that $70 should cover the parts.
Can you change it yourself? If not you might get a second opinion.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I could but nothing was open today that had the parts and it needs to be done now .I dont have the time to do it I just had a new grocery store open last Wed. and have been getting home late and im beat
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

500.00 for pump, power flush system, and add green no more DEX COOL
plus change the belt while they have it off includes all parts and labor.just sucks to know that your gettin taken and really cant do s*it about it I need it back tomorrow
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

But we will do better next time, huh? :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:500.00 ... I need it back tomorrow
Tyranny of the urgent :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Glad you have your rig back when you need it but, D_MN, that was a big price.

Makes my $973 extemded warranty look easier to swallow :D
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Jeff,

I know how you feel, that's my life, my job consumes so much of my time that I end of being at the mercy of others to work on my vehicles and it always seem like you are searching for someone to do work on your truck that's going to do a good job and not rip you off. But that's life here in America, everybodys out to make a buck. Hope everything comes out good with your truck.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

2000 Jimmy, currenly 79,600 miles. I had the coolant machine flushed out last summer at around 70k and refilled with green plus I added some Water Wetter. I'm guessing my water pump will take a s### at any time.

Steve
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

OK now that all is said and done
new water pump not rebuilt
belt replaced
system power flushed and running green now
new cap
parts and labor came to a staggering $627.03
they broke "IT" off in me and beat me with it, but I have my truck back and she seems fine.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

wow -- that is insane - I know your situation didn't give you any options,

but figuring $80 for a pump/gaskets, $25 for the belt, $4 for a prestone flush /fill kit, 3 gallons of Green at $8 each, $8 for a nice cap, that's about $140 in parts, and something like 6.5 hours labor at about $70-75 per hour.

I would have spent the $140 in parts, rented the cheapest thing I could find for around $45 a day - and worked on it all night long to get it done in 2-3 evenings.

Glad you got her back though!!
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the pump was 179.00 I have looked around online and there are some pumps at that price
not much I can do now