Brake pads

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brake pads

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Any of you guys have any suggestions for replacement brake pads? I'm sure if I go with AC Delco parts, it's going to be more expensive but I've heard that it's hard to find replacements that last as long as factory pads. I'm not looking for anything special and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I just want replacements that will do just as good a job as the factory pads without spending the outragous markup price from the dealer. Thanks.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know that our trucks come with ceramic pads , right?

I wouldn't worry so much about a brand name like AC Delco, but just make sure that they are the ceramic lining.

The lifetime pads are too hard on rotors and the cheap pads don't last long enough. Creamic offers less dust , less squeak and easier than lifetime on rotors.

I have been having good luck with the NAPA Ceramix pads on the fleet vehicles.

How many miles do you have on them?

I am sitting just over 45k and have plenty of life left in mine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I knew they were ceramic and have found some prices that are about $55 for the front and $60 for the rears. How much are the NAPA pads? I have just broke 100K miles. The warning squeal has just started.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I haven't done much research yet but here is a link for the rears that I found with a google search. They are $68. LINK

Made the long url a link-HJ

Roll Tide!![/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yellow Hammer wrote:I knew they were ceramic and have found some prices that are about $55 for the front and $60 for the rears. How much are the NAPA pads? I have just broke 100K miles. The warning squeal has just started.
You got 100k out of your first set of pads? Are they supposed to last that long? I just replaced my fronts at 55k and now the backs are starting to squeal. Should have replaced those too while I was at it. Granted I drive my truck more like a Corvette sometimes.
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Most of the miles on my truck are highway miles. I'd say that about 35K of those miles were city driving. If that.

Roll Tide!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yellow Hammer wrote:... How much are the NAPA pads?
Napa online
Front CMX7593 $ 83.99
Rear CMX7596 $ 81.49 The Ceramix (CMX) come with all the replaceable hardware.

Safety Stop (SS) has ceramic too , is cheaper and just has the pads.
Front SS7593X $ 46.49
Rear SS7596X $ 48.49

If you don't want to replace the clips and hardware the SS would probably be OK, I'd probably opt for the CMX myself.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yellow Hammer wrote:Most of the miles on my truck are highway miles. I'd say that about 35K of those miles were city driving. If that.
That would explain it. Most of my miles were in stop and go driving around the DC area.
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

HenryJ wrote:Front CMX7593 $ 83.99
Rear CMX7596 $ 81.49 The Ceramix (CMX) come with all the replaceable hardware.

Safety Stop (SS) has ceramic too , is cheaper and just has the pads.
Front SS7593X $ 46.49
Rear SS7596X $ 48.49
Thanks Brule. I'm going to do some shopping around and see what other prices are out there but this gives me an idea. I too would probably go with the pads that have the clips and replacement hardware.

Roll Tide!![/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Rusty wrote:That would explain it. Most of my miles were in stop and go driving around the DC area.
I do a lot of traveling for work and elect to drive rather than fly because I hate dealing with all the airport crap. I don't live where the traffic is as bad as the DC area so I don't do as much stop and go driving as you do.

Roll Tide!![/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I could see gettin 100k from them I have 63000 and still have plenty of pad left
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Replaced the pads yesterday and all went well.

I decided to go with the "Friction Master" ceramic disc brake pads from Advanced Auto Parts. I paid just under $100 for both the front and rears. They didn't come with new hardware but there was nothing wrong with the original hardware. They did come with new warning squeal clips. I also bought the tool that pushes your pistons in the calipers back up into the master cylinder that allows room for the new pads and that put me just over $100. I could of used a standard C clamp to do it but, what the hay. It only took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the job. Below are the part #s for these pads if anyone is interested. I'll keep everyone posted as far as their performance but so far they seem good.

Friction Master Ceramic Disc Brake Pads (Advanced Auto Parts)
2 year replacement warranty
Front: CMX726 $49
Rear: CMX729 $42

Roll Tide!![/size]