Black box? ( Event Data Recorder )

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black box? ( Event Data Recorder )

Post by mjmcdowell »

The wife and I went to 6 hr. course so that we could get a % off each of our vehicles, her 2002 Lincon LSE and my 2002 CC sonoma. Anyway the instructor said any US vehicle from 2000 on has a "black box" similar to those found on air craft that can tell lots about a vehicles actions, like how fast etc. it was going when say it was involved in an accident. Whats with this? Anyone out there know any thing about this? know where itis mounted on the CC? This came from a certified instructor, no kidding!!! Sounds a little big brotherish to me and warrents some delving into. What do you guys think? stay safe, mjmcdowell. By the way this before we got stuck (if you have read my other posts today) verrry interesting day. m.

edited title -HJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Black box?

Post by F9K9 »

mjmcdowell wrote:The wife and I went to 6 hr. course so that we could get a % off each of our vehicles, her 2002 Lincon LSE and my 2002 CC sonoma. Anyway the instructor said any US vehicle from 2000 on has a "black box" similar to those found on air craft that can tell lots about a vehicles actions, like how fast etc. it was going when say it was involved in an accident. Whats with this? Anyone out there know any thing about this? know where itis mounted on the CC? This came from a certified instructor, no kidding!!! Sounds a little big brotherish to me and warrents some delving into. What do you guys think? stay safe, mjmcdowell. By the way this before we got stuck (if you have read my other posts today) verrry interesting day. m.
Not in our trucks yet as of 2004 but truck regs are diffrent than the cars. Found that out when I bought my wife a AM/FM CD/MP3 Satellite ready system. Her stock AM/FM now resides in the trunk for the car to function :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Black box?

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote: Not in our trucks yet as of 2004 but truck regs are diffrent than the cars. Found that out when I bought my wife a AM/FM CD/MP3 Satellite ready system. Her stock AM/FM now resides in the trunk for the car to function :lol:
Yep.. When I went to have my Pioneer XM put in, they kept trying to tell me I had to have the radio under the seat becuase of it.. I kept telling them 'no, not on the truck'.. Finally they called GM... sure enough, if I had an Avalanche it would have to have the radio kept, the S10 for 2003, no.. Cars and SUV's had it already by the '03 model, but the truck version didnt get it, yet..

My issue with it is this... WHO and HOW do they get authorized access to the data??

Several years ago (mid to late 90's) my neighbor bought a new 'Vette.. They dealer told him two things:
1 - if you EVER want to wind up the car, do it in the first 1,000 miles while its breaking in the power programming (ie: go to the desert and have some fun on long straight roads)
2 - NEVER (NEVER) redline the motor.. the car already had a data recorder in it reading all functions of the engine and power train.. (it wasnt the 'crash' black box yet).. He was told that every time the car came in for ANY warranty work (even a loose screw on the seat) the first thing that would happen would be a download of the computer, and if the car was 'abused' all the warranty would void on it..
If I spent 50k on a car, I dont want 'big brother' riding in my back seat..

Calif. is playing with their stupid idea again about charging a 'tax by the mile' instead of a gas tax.. (which would only punish people registered here since people passing through would get cheaper gas and not have the device) by making a mandatory device installed in ALL licensed vehicles that reads how many miles you drive AND what roads they are on and asseses a fee based on the miles and the roads..

Oregon has been talking about it as well as a couple states back east.. Supposedly part of Britain is using it 'successfully' (although to WHO'S success, not the vehicle owners I gurantee).

This was released by our state Assemblyman in december to warn about it:
Bill Maze wrote: Tracking Automobiles For New Tax Revenues
12/9/04
A Solution Without Merit
Assemblyman Bill Maze

Buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Imagine a California where the government tracks your movement every time you step into your automobile. Utilizing Global Positioning Satellites, government records your mileage and then levies a tax on your movement. This isn’t a cruel joke or the subject of a science fiction novel. This would be your reality if Joan Borucki, newly appointed director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles, had it her way. Borucki would like to track you and tax you based on the miles you drive in this state. This haphazard solution, she claims, is the remedy and replacement for the current state gas tax.

Borucki and her supporters allege, when adjusted for inflation, state gas tax revenues are declining. Why? People are buying more fuel-efficient cars, such as hybrids, and spending less at the pump. So, what’s the solution? More taxes, they claim. Don’t forget, the people who want to tax you to death are the same ones who pushed for electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles, and better fuel efficiency. This attempt to take more money out of your pocket and attach a tracking device to your car is two-faced, gives way to more intrusive government, and is just dead wrong.

The fact is, the state Transportation Fund could adequately fund our transportation projects if it was not annually raided to make up for budget shortfalls. Year after year, majority leaders in the Legislature “borrow” from transportation funds rather than make government smaller and more efficient to reduce costs. In doing so, they defy the will of the voters expressed through Prop. 42. This unfettered borrowing, combined with government inefficiency, leaves our roads crumbling and keeps new lanes from being built. Slightly lower tax revenues is not the culprit.

The choices are simple: We can get serious and fully fund our transportation system by reducing the overall cost of state government, or we can let the government tax us and track our movement like a bounty hunter. As I see it, the solution to a tax problem is not a new tax. The existing gas tax is too high already. Furthermore, the proliferation of Big Brother government is flat-out unacceptable. Californians deserve real answers to the problems facing our state; not punitive schemes imagined in science fiction. Let’s put the brakes on this dangerous idea.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The insurance company that the vehicle was covered under has access if a major loss is involved and law enforcement accident reconstructionists have access.

In KY most of the deputy sheriff's do not keep their jobs if the current sheriff loses an election. One deputy in SE KY decided shortly after an election that he'd try to get workmans comp. He got up on an old mountain top removal strip mine and pushed his cruiser over the edge. Well, the black box nailed him. It records the final minutes of speed, if brakes were applied, if seat belt was on and if door is opened after the crash..

Have heard rumors of voice recordings but, am not sure. If it does I wonder how times they've heard "Here, hold my beer and watch this" :lol:

Of course SE KY is where we made national news when some good friends playing William Tell. Apples and arrows were replaced with beer cans and hand guns. Well, one friend killed the other. At the inquiry the "shooter" stated that they usually aim higher than that. :roflmao: :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
aa21830

Post by aa21830 »

It's called an Event Data Recorder. I posted this on the S-series.org site awhile back after reading about it in the local newspaper. Based on the list of vehicles, it appears that most late model S-series vehicles have them.
[size=75]John S.
2004 BlaZeR2
1996 Sonoma 4x4[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

aa21830 wrote:It's called an Event Data Recorder. I posted this on the S-series.org site awhile back after reading about it in the local newspaper. Based on the list of vehicles, it appears that most late model S-series vehicles have them.

I was pretty sure we had them , and couldn't remember where I had seen the information :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK