GM dealer warranty issue

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

GM dealer warranty issue

Post by F9K9 »

Split topic-HJ

:bump: Dropped my crew off at the dealer with a quarter tank this morning. They dad 2 other CCs in there with the same problem and I was told that they are replacing the gauges.

Maybe it is the beginning of a "fix" for our problem. :D

I also started slinging grease out of another CV boot and they are repairing that too.

I just hope the service manager lives about 30 miles away when he takes my crew home tonite on 1/4 tank.

They were out of loaners so, they rented a trailblazer from Enterprise for me. Seems very quick but handles like it has the same stock shocks that came on our crews :evil:

Will keep you posted.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just called the dealership. They've ordered a sending unit, should be in tomorrow.

I guess they were unable to tell me that they "could not reproduce" the symptom.. Wonder is anyone ran out of gas? :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Really do not know where to put this post so, if HJ has a better place for it I know he will move it.

Most of us have had problems when our fuel gauges hit 1/4 full. I decided to push the issue with my closest dealer. Had it in there once for several things (under warranty) but, they "could not reproduce the problem" because I had almost a full tank.

Had it in this past week when it was at 1/4 full and the weirdness starts :lol:

The usual come home park it and the next morning it reads empty when you fire it up.:twisted:

They replaced the sending unit for the fuel gauge problem but, cannot report if, it is a successful fix yet. I had to fuel up to make it home.

I also had a CV boot throwing grease and wanted it fixed. I have had a professionally performed TB "crank" done that remained in their "specs".

Here is their specs from their techline:

"Drive Type/Model * 4WD (except ZR2)
Z Trim Height

Service Allowed................................... Service Preferred

116-128 mm (4.6-5 in)...................................122 mm (4.8 in)"

They told me I had 5 inches for my "Z" measurement and needed a 2.5" Z measurement.
I spent about 3 hours today removing the stock boot clamp and putting on a large heater hose on the boot to hold while I debated my options. It only took that long because it was my first and I had to go through the trial by error method. Shouldn't take over 30 minutes the next time.

So, if you go to our home page and check out "Trim Height Measurements"........where does anyone see 2.5"?

Comments, suggestions, editorials or rants?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want to push the issue, seeing that you have already fixed your problem, take it back and have them show you where they came up with the 2.5" figure since the Helm's GM manual shows you to be within specifications.
Then see if they can deny repairing the boot.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:If you want to push the issue, seeing that you have already fixed your problem, take it back and have them show you where they came up with the 2.5" figure since the Helm's GM manual shows you to be within specifications.
Then see if they can deny repairing the boot.

No worry about me doing that. Brule :!:

With your help and the rest of the "crew" I plan on stockpiling as much "ammo" as I can. :lol:

Once a Marine, always a Marine" to use as an example. I do not want to enter into a fire fight, when the outcome is in question :!:

I want this dealership to feel the sensation of what a "scumbag" feels when he shows up with a knife at a gunfight.

One of my most difficult lessons that I had to learn in my life (and career) was to sit back, rethink, cool off and then re-engage with all that you posses in your arsenal :D

It is a plus for me that the service department was closed today (Sat) or else I may not have had all my "Ducks in a row"..

I would like to strike Monday if. anyone has some more valid info to feed us. :twisted:

Barch? Any words of encouragement before I engage the enemy?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well I dropped of my letter this morning. He knew I was hot, he offered to "pull" it off the computer right then but, I told him I had to go to work.

I got a call about 4 hours later. Again he started with the 2.6" BS and I told him mine was within their specs but, if 4.8" would please him I would. He said he had placed to calls two "division" but has not gotten anything yet. He started with the 4 door thing being different but I reminded him that it shouldn't have any bearing on the matter because it was no different than an extended cab.

He was very apologetic and so we wait for the non existent specs to appear. :D

I used our logo as stationary and I bet the bumper sticker helps, as well :lol:
Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

f9k9 wrote: Barch? Any words of encouragement before I engage the enemy?
Whoops... sorry I missed this. go get 'em tiger.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Most of us have had problems when our fuel gauges hit 1/4 full. I decided to push the issue with my closest dealer. Had it in there once for several things (under warranty) but, they "could not reproduce the problem" because I had almost a full tank.

The usual come home park it and the next morning it reads empty when you fire it up.:twisted:

They replaced the sending unit for the fuel gauge problem but, cannot report if, it is a successful fix yet. I had to fuel up to make it home.
Good luck :lol: , I have had my sending unit replaced and the PCM reflashed twice. I still have the same problem when nearing 1/4 tank. I am starting to think that it might be a resistor on the gauge itself. I have heard of other GM cars and trucks with this problem and it turned out to be a resistor problem. I have never had the gauge panel out so I don't know what it looks like behind there. :? My Impala SS had this problem once and I replaced a resistor on the fuel gauge with a different one. It works fine now. :) GM needs to actually fix this problem instead of just replacing good parts and reflashing. If they would just fix it right they would probably save some money on parts and make their customers happy. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Most of us have had problems when our fuel gauges hit 1/4 full. I decided to push the issue with my closest dealer. Had it in there once for several things (under warranty) but, they "could not reproduce the problem" because I had almost a full tank.

Good luck :lol: , I have had my sending unit replaced and the PCM reflashed twice. I still have the same problem when nearing 1/4 tank. I am starting to think that it might be a resistor on the gauge itself. I have heard of other GM cars and trucks with this problem and it turned out to be a resistor problem. I have never had the gauge panel out so I don't know what it looks like behind there. :? My Impala SS had this problem once and I replaced a resistor on the fuel gauge with a different one. It works fine now. :) GM needs to actually fix this problem instead of just replacing good parts and reflashing. If they would just fix it right they would probably save some money on parts and make their customers happy. :D

Steve

Well, thanks for your words of encouragement :thumb:

Am "almost" ready to live with the 1/4 tank issue. Heck, I went 2 yrs without a guage working in my '97 ZR2. The Z height thing has my current attention once, I did a little research :D

The dealership is on my way to work and I plan on leaving home 30 minutes early everyday to stop and ask if the "revised" specs have come in. :roll:

Will have a full mug of java and become a fixture there. All they gotta do is keep fixing it until May (unless I extend my warranty) and I will be out of their hair :lol:

I want to replace them with the axles and boots found in another post from advance or autozone that have a flexible boot and lifetime warranty.

The service manager was shocked to see their own specs shoved under his nose and it was worth seeing, even if they never fix it right :!:

Don't get me wrong, I love my CC :D
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Will have a full mug of java and become a fixture there. All they gotta do is keep fixing it until May (unless I extend my warranty) and I will be out of their hair :lol:
The service writers at my dealership cringe when I walk in the door. I probably have the record for repairs on my CC. I have had 21 things either replaced or fixed under warranty so far with only 43k on the truck. :!: I did get the extended warranty to cover me till 100k miles for an additional $1300. Well worth it if you ask me. BTW the CV boot issue you're having varies from dealer to dealer. For example, mine have developed leaks twice and both times they just replaced the whole shaft assembly. I do have the 2" BL, t-bar crank and 31" tires, and they have never said anything to me about my mods. :)
Don't get me wrong, I love my CC :D
Me too, that's why I got the extended warranty. The $1300 warranty will actually help me continue with the mods faster instead of having to spend money on stupid little parts that seem prone to failure. :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OK, HJ...................................I gave it a day to cool and to see if I would get a "follow up". :)

Not a word from "Jay" the ___hole today. Should I wait another day or "park" myself" there in the morning?

Yes, I realize each situation has it's own rules of advancing to the next level but, I would have lost a paycheck yesterday if someone had bet with me that he would have called. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Should I wait another day or "park" myself" there in the morning?
Give it three days. Then be prepared with GM's customer service number.
Give them one last shot. If they do not satisfy take names and dealership information , call GM and demand satisfaction.

I'll see if I can find the number with a search.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Give it three days. Then be prepared with GM's customer service number.
Give them one last shot. If they do not satisfy take names and dealership information , call GM and demand satisfaction.

I'll see if I can find the number with a search.

You apparently are the resident "King" of searches.

Sounds better than my caveman plan of calling the jerk outside :lol:

only did a 1.5" crank with the alignment shop which means (according to their "new" version), I was already an inch over their lost specs when they sold it to me "new".

It is obvious that their specs are beyond what their weakly designed boots are capable of handling. All they had to do was ammend the specs in later years.

I am going through similar stuff at work. I am in a newer federal courthouse after I retired from counter drug. Our job is to protect federal Judges. They grabbed me because I am borderline computer illeiterate (No mistake or typo here).

We had a spouse of a female probation officer stoll in with a major edged weapon and our metal detector never offered to give an allert. :lol:

Well, because they think I can turn a computer on and off I was assigned to investigate the situation.

On page 2 of the metal detector's manual it plainly states that a minimum of 0.40 meters (20 inches) is required with 4 meters as preferred to be seperated from the airport style X-ray machine. We are sitting at four inches. I decide to cover our rears and write it up. How did I know that all new courthouses are using our plans?

Here I am just trying to lay low, goof off and now started a sh_tstorm?

So, anyway come up with the number HJ and will let you proof read me again. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like putting it in writing is the way to go-
barch97 wrote: GM takes customer comments and complaints very seriously. copy your letter to:

Quote:
Chevrolet
P.O. Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170
or:
Quote:
GMC Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 33172
Detroit, MI 48232-5172

and be sure to add the

CC: Chevrolet
P.O. Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

to the bottom of the letter. so, that the dealer knows that there is another copy of this letter and the manager can't just toss it in the trash and forget about it. Or, I guess he could but, that won't make it go away.

Good luck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OKAY, thanks :thumb:

Will get ready tonite and have it ready to mail Friday morning if, I do not hear from the dealership.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Letters were mailed this AM concerning this issue. Will keep you up to date.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

News Flash! Our crew cabs are so different from anything else that GM has started making new Z heights for our trucks. I should know any day now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Our crew cabs are so different from anything else that GM has started making new Z heights for our trucks...
:lol: This is going to be good! :lol:

Better notify Helm's , Chilton's , Haynes, etc... their specifications for the front suspension have not been changed on the S-10's clear back to 1983. If this is true then there is a ton of bad information out there, and GM published the majority of it.

Hmmm ... I think a recall would be in order and alignments for every S-10 made in the last 20 years :D

There have been minor changes in the front suspension , mostly to the sway bar and rear crossmember, but the a-arms and torsion bars stayed the same through out the years. The Z height remains the same.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:News Flash! Our crew cabs are so different from anything else that GM has started making new Z heights for our trucks. I should know any day now.
Really? :shock: Hmm. I wonder what's different? I thought the Crews shared all the same suspension and running gear parts and frame (with slight changes - body mounts) as the Extended cabs. :?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Was being sarcastic but, that is what I am being told now. He wanted me to see how the two on the lot were set up and I merely asked for the specs on the ones on the lot. My evil step father was a used car salesman so, if it smells like BS, looks like BS...............
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:Was being sarcastic but, that is what I am being told now. He wanted me to see how the two on the lot were set up and I merely asked for the specs on the ones on the lot. My evil step father was a used car salesman so, if it smells like BS, looks like BS...............
Sarcastic huh? Well, I sure fell for that one hook, line and sinker! :lol: For a moment there, you really had me going. I was hunting around on the internet for more info and everything! [Sigh] It's been a long day.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Was being sarcastic but, that is what I am being told now. He wanted me to see how the two on the lot were set up and I merely asked for the specs on the ones on the lot. My evil step father was a used car salesman so, if it smells like BS, looks like BS...............

Sarcastic huh? Well, I sure fell for that one hook, line and sinker! :lol: For a moment there, you really had me going. I was hunting around on the internet for more info and everything! [Sigh] It's been a long day.

Long Day? I have been battling frozen water pipes so you can imagine what a warm welcome Mr. Brown had!

What I have told you is what was relayed to me from Mr Jay Brown, the service manager at a large dealership (Tincher-Williams) in a small town. His call was only to document his response to my letter to appease GM. I am scheduled Wednesday AM for a compromise of a 4" Z height which is below their specs and to have my problem addressed without charge. We will never hear a word out of GM about out specs changed but, Jay now knows what he does is closely followed by over 200 other members. GM will keep this low key plan unless you guys wanna try to do something.

I suppose I can post or email my correspondence with JH so that concerned members can join in. It's in MS word but, am sure you all can convert it. :lol: :lol:

Here it is anyway
last letter to dealer and CC to GM
Reed L. Wetter
311 Silver Eagle Drive
London, Kentucky
Home Ph (606) 862.8467
Cell Ph (606) 224-1555
Work Ph (606) 864-6993
f9k9@earthlink.net

December 17, 2004

To; Tincher-Williams Service Manager.

This past Monday, December 13, 2004, I hand delivered a letter to you, at the Tincher-Williams dealership, about a situation that I would like to have resolved and that I am willing to work with you on.
I called your department on Monday, December 6th concerning a continuing fuel gauge problem that I was having. I had the understanding that if I returned with the problem at one quarter fuel level that you would reevaluate the erratic problem. I also advised that I had a CV boot leaking grease. I requested a loaner vehicle and a member of your staff scheduled me on Wednesday the 8th.
My vehicle was dropped off before 9:30 AM on December 8th and a member of your staff attempted to retrieve a “loaner” vehicle for my use but, graciously determined that the available loaner was unfit for use and lined me up with Enterprise to use a rental. I greatly appreciated your dealership’s normal courtesy.
On December 9th I called to check the status of the vehicle and was told that a fuel sending unit was ordered and it should be done the following day.
On December 10th I called to determine if the vehicle was ready to be retrieved and was informed that it was ready.
I arrived at your dealership shortly after I returned the rental to Enterprise. I was informed that the fuel sending unit was replaced but, my CV boot was not. You advised me that my “Z” height was five inches and should be two and one half inches (see attached). You offered to show me a GM bulletin concerning the issue, which I declined. I accepted your word and decided I would correct the problem because I had a front end alignment performed when I had my tires replaced.
The following day I had an independent alignment specialist look at my truck’s alignment and I told I was at the maximum height of the Helm’s Chevrolet Manual which recommends 4.6-5.0 inch Z height, with the preferred height being 4.8 inches.
That same day, I spent three hours using an oversized hose clamp to try to keep the remaining grease and to assure that no contaminates would be introduced into the assembly. I researched all past GM bulletins concerning S-10 (non ZR2) four wheel drive trucks. I was unable to locate any references that differed with your GM Helm’s manual that suggested a Z height, of 2.5 inches was recommended for a 4 wheel drive truck
On December 13th, you called me, approximately 3 hours after I hand delivered my letter, and you apologized and informed me that you had placed two calls to a division of GM and that you were expecting a fax to show me what my correct Z height should be. You advised that you expected an answer from GM shortly.
This is the 17th of December and the holiday traveling is rapidly approaching but, still no word on what my “Z” height should be so, I that I may have repairs done on a vehicle that has less than six thousand miles on the odometer.
I sincerely want to work with you on this issue. I would have had the alignment corrected if; you would have mentioned the “Z” height issue when I had my first boot repaired. It would have saved us both a lot of time.
I have now spent almost $70.00, of my own, on alignments. All I am asking for is to see the alignment specifications that differ from 4.6”- 5.0” for a 2002 S-10 Crew Cab 4.3L four wheel drive.

Sincerely,

Attachments:

CC: Chevrolet
P.O. Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

Original letter'

TO: Tincher-Williams Service Department

SUBJECT: “Z” Height measurement for a 2002 S-10 Crew Cab

Sir,

On December 10, 2004, I was advised that my 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab was ready to be picked up from warranty service. I returned my rental vehicle to the Enterprise office, which GM had generously rented a loaner for me while they performed the requested warranty service.

The two warranty issues I had concerned erratic fuel gauge readings after reaching one quarter tank of fuel (my second visit concerning the issue) and an inner CV joint boot slinging grease. The service department promptly ordered a sending unit and replaced it to address the fuel gauge issue which I appreciate. When I called on the afternoon of December 10, 2004, I was informed the vehicle was ready and I could return my rental to retrieve my truck.

I previously had warranty work performed at Tincher-William’s concerning another CV “boot” throwing grease which they replaced promptly. My “Z” height was not an issue at that time and I have had no adjustments performed between the first and second visit for replacement of the defective parts.

Arriving at your dealership I was advised that the CV boot issue was not resolved. I was advised that the “Z” height of my truck was 5 inches and unless it was reduced to 2.5”, warranty work would not be provided.

On December 11, 2004, I took it to an alignment specialist who provided me with proper “Z” measurements quoted from the Helm’s GM Manual. They are as follows:

Trim Height Inspection Procedure

Trim Height Measurements
Trim height is a predetermined measurement relating to vehicle ride height. Incorrect trim heights can cause bottoming out over bumps, damage to the suspension components and symptoms similar to wheel alignment problems. Check the trim heights when diagnosing suspension concerns and before checking the wheel alignment.
Perform the following before measuring the trim heights:
• Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface, such as an alignment rack.
• Remove alignment rack floating plate pins.
• Set the tire pressures to specifications. Refer to Label - Vehicle Certification in General Information.
• Check the fuel level. Add additional weight if necessary to simulate a full tank.
• To ensure proper weight distribution make sure the rear storage compartment is empty.
• Close the doors and hood.

Z Height Measurement
The Z height measurement determines the proper ride height for the front end of the vehicle. Vehicles equipped with torsion bars use an adjusting arm to adjust the Z height. Vehicles without torsion bars have no adjustment and could require replacement of suspension components.
Important
All dimensions are measured vertical to the ground. Cross vehicle Z heights should be within 12 mm (0.47 in) for all vehicles except pickups with options ZQ8 and V4A to be considered correct. Pickups with options ZQ8 and V4A should be 0 mm to be considered correct.
1. Place hand on the front bumper and jounce the front of the vehicle. Make sure that there is at least 38 mm (1.5 in) of movement while jouncing.
2. Allow the vehicle to settle into position.
3. Measure from the pivot bolt center line down to the lower corner of the steering knuckle in order to obtain the Z height measurement.
4. Repeat the jouncing operation 2 more times for a total of 3 times.
5. Use the highest and lowest measurements to calculate the average height.
6. The true Z height dimension number is the average of the highest and lowest measurements.
Trim Height Specifications
Drive Type/Model Service Allowed Service Preferred
Z Trim Height
• 4WD (except ZR2) 116-128 mm (4.6-5 in) 122 mm (4.8 in)

I spent 3 hours replacing the faulty CV boot clamp with a make shift replacement, using a large hose clamp, because I did not want to damage the CV joint by operating it with insufficient lubrication, or the introduction of contaminants.

Your Service Manager stated that there was a service bulletin concerning this issue. In hind sight I wish that I had requested a copy of the document.
He has never failed to be honest, in the past, and I trusted the gentleman explicitly.

However, to the best of my knowledge, my “Z” height is within GM's specifications.

I respectfully request a copy of any new specifications that override the 4.6”-5” specifications listed. Just call and I will stop by and pick up the copy.

Please feel free to call anytime to correct any misunderstandings, I may have.

Sincerely,

Reed L. Wetter
311 Silver Eagle Drive
London, KY 40744
HM PH # 862-8437
WK PH # 864-6993
CELL PH # 224-1555
Me hold a grudge? Naw, never:) Already have $80 bucks in for Barch's handgun down payment.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do us a favor after you plumbing nightmares are resolved.

Measure your Z height to the best of your ability before you take it in , and measure it again afterward.

Find a good level floor (I know that may be difficult ) measure from the center of the lower ball joint to the floor. Then measure from the center of the a-arm to frame mount bolt to the floor and subtract the first measurement.

It will be interesting to see what changes are made.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Will do my best but may be difficult. :D

I did insist on one inch from ground to top of fender opening. I may have hurt our cause but was trying to be sociable with the scumbag.

He admitted I must of been above the 2.5" mark when I bought it. Well. since federal law only requires one party be made aware of any recordings I didn't feel it was my duty to bring that to his attention. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This guy is really starting to worry me.

Measure the ground to the fender lip on center for all four corners too. I would also mark the T-bar adjusting bolts. I am sure you don't carry a tube of tamper-proof marking gel, so a dab of light colored paint at the point where the thread on the bolt meets the threaded block should do. This way you will be able to count the number of threads they back them off. Remember that each thread, or revolution is good for .2 inches. If they back them off to the 2.5" that means you should be able to count 12.5 new threads exposed.

This just does not add up! I sure wish that I was closer and could talk some reason into the BS this guy is trying to sell.

I just checked my truck and I only have 11 threads above the threaded plate for the adjuster. There is no way that mine could be lowered 2.5". The adjusters (porkchops) would be sitting unloaded on the threaded plates and the bolts backed out of their sockets! :rant:

Make darn sure that when you take it in you have a full tank of fuel. And if you want to throw them a "monkey wrench" take some weights to simulate your weight in the drivers seat for the alignment.

I use old bar bell weights in the drivers seat when it gets aligned. Why would you want the alignment correct when no one is in the truck?

Make sure that they will provide you with a copy of the alignment corrections and specifications when it is done. You want to make darn sure they do align it.

Before you accept it stand way back and with the wheels straight sight down each side to make sure that the camber is correct. Camber is : top in equals negative camber , top out equals positive camber. You should be able to see neither. They should be as straight as the back.

I'm not sure that you can correctly set the camber if you lower it to the extent that this guy is talking about.

2.3" below specification will eat up all the adjustment in the upper a-arms excentric, and I'm afraid that you will still have way too much positive camber (top out).

Make darn sure that you poke your nose underneath and check on those adjusters too. You damn sure don't want them backed all the way off resting on the stops.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

1. Bench weights equalling 160 lbs.

2. Note Pad

3. "White out" EDIT....Wife donated "F_c_ Me Red" (her words :lol: ) nail polish

3. Pen

4. Digital camera with "macro setting"

5. Laser level

6. Tape and laser measure

7. Witness

10-4

Still have time if, you or other members come up with anything else before 12/22/04 AM :schwing:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most dealers do not have an alignment rack and send the vehicle out for alignment.

If possible request that they use the shop of your choice. Talk to the shop and voice your concerns about them having the trim height below factory specs.

Make sure that they check the adjusters and adjust everything to correct any unsafe conditions.

It would be my guess that in order to bring the camber back into spec. all that will be needed is to crank the adjusters back up.

There is a limited amount of adjustment in the excentrics on the upper a-arms. Once they correct for caster that leaves even less to correct for camber. If the t-bars are not adjusted to within the range of adjustment remaining, the alignment shop will likely raise the vehicle up enough to make the corrections despite the misinformed dealers attempt to lower.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Most dealers do not have an alignment rack and send the vehicle out for alignment. .
They have own rack so, will take plenty pf pic when I get under there tonite.

The Judge's inside parking is level :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, having seen this picture-

I feel better about them being backed down a little. If this guy is wanting to lower your truck an inch. That would be five threads. That I could live with that.

Mine has five threads exposed at that point.

I don't know where this guy is getting the 2.5" measurement, but if all he wants to do is back them off five turns from the point they are right now, you'll be fine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Whoa... I didn't know they could go that far in without snapping off. :yikes:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:Whoa... I didn't know they could go that far in without snapping off.
I wouldn't be worried about them "snapping off", but I would be concerned that the adjuster could be topped and bound out in the crossmember.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, they finally replaced my CV boot yesterday after I comprimised to letting them lower the truck's overall front end hgt by one inch. Am told that it now has a Z hgt of 3.25 down from five inches. My documentation to GM concerning all this a phone call tonight. The guy was nice, couldn't tell me any specs. and recommended I check with another dealership :twisted:

This was the only one in my little town and the next one is 25 miles away. I have pull at the other dealership. Oh well, I work with the service manager's wife and already gave her a head's up that I'm going to give her a copy of this fiasco, so her hubby can review it. The guy that called from GM tonight did say that only dealerships can get the spec info. So maybe, I can get some info for us.

My wife's car needs work to correct defroster problems at the same place and I am going to try to hook up with a kid who works there as a junior service writer and try to pick his brains. He's wanting a job info into federal law enforcement and maybe if I can help him, he may help us.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...The guy that called from GM tonight did say that only dealerships can get the spec info...
Ok, that is just not true.

Most dealerships do not have their own alignment rack and equipment. Usually they send the vehicles out to a certified shop.
Those shops pay dearly for the software that includes specifications for all makes and models.
There is no way that GM can keep that stuff secret. If indeed they are , I am sure that the NHTSA would love to be informed of this , and take legal action.

I also paid dearly for a set of Helm's GM manuals ($120), if they have incorrect information, perhaps I should seek a refund? At the very least they should provide everyone who purchased them with a revision.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:...The guy that called from GM tonight did say that only dealerships can get the spec info...
Ok, that is just not true.

Most dealerships do not have their own alignment rack and equipment. Usually they send the vehicles out to a certified shop.
Those shops pay dearly for the software that includes specifications for all makes and models.
There is no way that GM can keep that stuff secret. If indeed they are , I am sure that the NHTSA would love to be informed of this , and take legal action.

I also paid dearly for a set of Helm's GM manuals ($120), if they have incorrect information, perhaps I should seek a refund? At the very least they should provide everyone who purchased them with a revision.

Just relaying the facts . He had a five digit extentension number and could not even directly email me. I am just you are right. MY friend, Michelle, will pass this on to JR, her husband, and maybe we will learn more from him.

Am just wild as hell to talk to the same service manager that I have been dealing with tomorrow about my wife's lack of defroster.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Just relaying the facts ...
Am just wild as hell to talk to the same service manager that I have been dealing with tomorrow about my wife's lack of defroster.
Don't worry about me killing the messenger :lol: I know that you are just passing on the information.

My condolences on having to deal with this person again. You are a better man than I.
I would rather drive a hundred miles that deal with incompetence.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bump:
UPDATE

I have the Z hgt. and alignment specs in my hand that are dated 12/29/2004. They are the exact same specs that are found on our home page (right down to the Document ID#, HJ).

Just asking if anyone knows where I should go next. I promised my source that I would leave him out of this but, I have the pages and they are dated from GM's own intranet.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

back to the dealer where it all started and show them what you have , have them put your truck back the way it was before they used the incorrect info ((mainly to make a point ))
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...I have the Z hgt. and alignment specs in my hand that are dated 12/29/2004. They are the exact same specs that are found on our home page (right down to the Document ID#, HJ)...
Glad to hear that there is some reason in this world.

Next would be to ask...what needs to be done with this? Is there something to be gained from infuriating the service manager that lied to you?

I don't think that this will benefit you or anyone else. People like this should be avoided. They will dig their own grave, or at least maybe be selling used cars some day (no offense to any used car dealers :oops: )

I just don't see any good coming from backing this guy into a corner.

Now if you really feel the need to "bloody this guys nose" go over his head to a regional supervisor, or Gm's customer service and ask that they kindly educate this guy with the correct figures, since He is currently doing the customers a great disservice with his misinformation.

Keep your hands clean in this matter though. You have already expressed your displeasure and resolved the matter this time.

Should this become an issue for further warranty service..."Hit 'em with both barrels blaz'n" :thumb:
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Whoops :lol:

To late :!:

Just got off the phone with Customer assistance and can tell you that I am definitely on their radar.

The lady was as helpful as she could be but, they are unable to access Service Information or their bulletins. She could bring up my letters on her PC right there and I called them to follow the proper procedure laid out in the owner's manual.

She did talk with a supervisor but, nothing surfaced.

She is putting in a request to their tech dept. and will call me back on monday evening with the results.

Sounds like I was at this point with the service manager. :lol:

Anyway, will see what happens on monday night.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: Didn't anyone tell you to take a breath ...count to ten...and if you're still mad , sleep on it and see if it still makes you mad in the morning? :lol:

Go get'em ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote::lol: Didn't anyone tell you to take a breath ...count to ten...and if you're still mad , sleep on it and see if it still makes you mad in the morning? :lol:

Go get'em ;)

Waited 3 days when you suggested. Respected all advice :) :)

Just put my law enforcement background into documenting all events of this little topic.

Three productions years and no specs? Deep breath? Sleep on it?

Am wide awake and would like an answer is all.!

Semper Fi!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ok, heard back from GM last nite and this is what customer service was told to provide me from their service section. She claimed that they are unable to talk with one another.

These are the steps I was told to take to learn about my Z trim specs. I couldn't make heads nor tails out of it but, maybe HJ and company can.

1. Go to http://www.gmupfitter.com/

2. Then select Publications

3. Then go to Body Builders Manual

I just glanced at it but, I do not see any relevance with this unusual site and my question to GM.
4. then select Light Duty 2002 Manual

BEFORE PROCEEDING BE WARNED THAT IT IS A 17 MB plus PDF file.

5. Select S/T truck
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll have to differ analyis of the file to someone with a better connection.

A 17 mb file would take me weeks to try and download :roll:

Let me know when you have the pertinent information down to a page or so :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

just click the last link. it is about 23 minutes at dialup with 77 pages
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:just click the last link. it is about 23 minutes at dialup with 77 pages
It looks like the file is only 7359 kb.

Still at MY dial-up speed that is well over 1 1/2 hours, if I don't get disconnected before it finishes.

Don't count on me ever seeing all those pages.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I don't know if this will help you out at all, Brule... But I saved the PDF file down to a text file. I uploaded it to my webspace here.

Hopefully you can get the info that way. I didn't read through it, so I don't know exactly which part you need. The file is about 55KB but obviously doesn't have any of the graphics. :) If there are any illustrations you think might be missing to make it more clear, let me know. I'll take a couple screen shots and upload them.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: Thanks Eric! That did help :D

Here is the only portion that I saw dealing with front suspension :
Section 3 — Front Suspension
See chassis data information for clearances and assistance in calculating trim heights.
Since there is a large variation in completed vehicle front weight due to differences in body weight and equipment, the front
suspension alignment must be checked and reset if necessary after the vehicle is completed. Caster and camber should be set with
reference to the “A” dimensions.
See Truck Service Manual for complete alignment procedure, specifications and measurement of the “A” dimension under “Diagnosis and
Front Alignment” section.
For specs it refers back to the manual which is not changed.

This document seems to be outlining modifications, and proper application of them.
Looks to be all reasonable, and outlines proper procedures.

This has nothing to do with the Z height on Reed's truck though, since modifications were not the issue, or at least they should not have been, since they did not include the suspension.
The specifications on the Stock information page, and in the Helm's Manual still stand.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote: Z Height Measurement
The Z height measurement determines the proper ride height for the front end of the vehicle. Vehicles equipped with torsion bars use an adjusting arm to adjust the Z height. Vehicles without torsion bars have no adjustment and could require replacement of suspension components.
Important
All dimensions are measured vertical to the ground. Cross vehicle Z heights should be within 12 mm (0.47 in) for all vehicles except pickups with options ZQ8 and V4A to be considered correct. Pickups with options ZQ8 and V4A should be 0 mm to be considered correct.
1. Place hand on the front bumper and jounce the front of the vehicle. Make sure that there is at least 38 mm (1.5 in) of movement while jouncing.
2. Allow the vehicle to settle into position.
3. Measure from the pivot bolt center line down to the lower corner of the steering knuckle in order to obtain the Z height measurement.
4. Repeat the jouncing operation 2 more times for a total of 3 times.
5. Use the highest and lowest measurements to calculate the average height.
6. The true Z height dimension number is the average of the highest and lowest measurements.
Trim Height Specifications
Drive Type/Model Service Allowed Service Preferred
Z Trim Height
• 4WD (except ZR2) 116-128 mm (4.6-5 in) 122 mm (4.8 in)
By those measurements 2.5" would see too low for a 2wd truck, unlesss its trying to be a lowrider..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kf6kmx wrote:]

By those measurements 2.5" would see too low for a 2wd truck, unlesss its trying to be a lowrider..

Well, we've come full circle :x

And yes, HJ, the site has every dimension for the entire frame and body but, nothing more. It explained auxiliary fuel tanks, proper ways to extend the frame, night vision applications but, not what I needed.

Going to have to kick back and think it over :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I waited a week after I left a voice mail (they promise a resonse with 24 hrs.) with my "representative" that the website she referred me to was only referring back the the GM service manual.

Quoted below are my notes on this issue and I must say goodbye to GM!

'01/18/05 YOLANDA GARRETT Called 866-942-4368 EXT 49207 was told to go to WWW.GMUPFITTER.COM from there choose PUBLICATIONS/SUBMENU/BODY BUILDER MANUAL/LIGHT DUTY/2002 MANUAL/S/T TRUCK

One 01/19/05 I called Ms Garret to recheck the wording of the site that she gave me. I had been unable to locate the site. I left a voicemail and she promptly returned my call. I made the correction and located the proper site. The site referred me to the Helms Service manual for alignment specifications.

01/21/05

Called Ms Garret at approx 8:20 PM, Left message that the site referred me right back to the GM service manual specs. Her outgoing message said that I would hear from her within 24 hrs. Zip, Zero, Nada!.

01/27/05

Reference Service Request # 1-292590726

1930 hrs.

Telephoned Ms Garrett and she advised that the dealer, was contacted, they advised her that my tire size (30” versus 29”) threw the Z hgt measurement off.!

We all know this is BS since no measurement of Z height is made from the ground up. I finally confronted her and asked. “So, in this case, the dealer is always right?” her reply was “yes sir”!

Too frustrated to even think at the moment.

I do know that my CC is my last GM rig!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Even if it means a road trip, use another dealership.

Everyone's blood pressure will be better :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Either talk to someone else at GM or go higher! Tell them that this'll be the last GM vehicle you buy because of this rediculous crap. Just keep going higher :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What is there to gain? GM has addressed your issue and fixed the truck.

Your vehicle is fixed under warranty, and from what little that I have seen everything is within spec.

I really don't think you will ever see the "phantom revised specs." I say they don't exist. I don't think you will get the BS'ing service manager to own up to the fact that he lied. Right now badgering GM's representatives will gain nothing , since they are not knowledgable about the vehicles specifications, or construction. Gm is not the one who lied to you , and how can they produce specifications that this service manager "made-up".

I don't think there is anywhere to go from here right now. If you had a warranty issue and needed service it would be another story.

This is a good place to stop. I see nothing to gain , right now.

I am sorry if you all don't understand where I am coming from here, but I need a goal. There needs to be something that can be done that will satisfy the problem. Right now there is no problem.

The guy lied and you won't get him to admit it. The paperwork doesn't exist. Be happy with what you have achieved.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I agree with henryJ if its fixed let the sleeping dog lie :D . i would never go back there and I would mention it to any friends that might goto that particular dealer. I wouldnt go back there for a fuse.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

hey barch do you concur ? I do..
trucked fixed..
man happy.. :D
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So after all this....

Post by Don »

So what have I got to look forward to... after all this and my CV boots look like their slinging greese are they going to tell me that my "Z" height is off and that they aren't going to cover this under waranty??
I am taking it in tommorow AM and see anyway...if they tell me it isn't under waranty I 'll take it somewhere else to have the work done...what ya think???
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]