Dealship problems - long post...

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Dealship problems - long post...

Post by Walt »

Well...looks like I'm having some of the dreaded "dealership problems".

Here goes....

I had planned to take a trip last week to Missouri, to a friend's place to help him move. I get as far as Greenville, MS (about 3 hours north of me), and my check engine light came on. I checked all my guages, and then stopped to check under the hood, then the gas cap. The truck seemed to be running fine, so I decided to go ahead with the trip. I get into Greenville and the truck starts sputtering... (this is around 9:30 AM)

I had only driven about 45 miles since my last fill up, so I knew it wasn't an empty tank. I knew I would pass by the Greenville dealership on my way, so I stopped there. (BTW, I used to live 15 miles south of Greenville, so I know the area fairly well.)

I went in and talked to the guy at the service counter and told him the problem. I waited and waited and waited and waited and finally someone drove my truck into the shop. I waited and waited and waited and waited some more, and finally the service guy (not the mechanic) came and told me that there was a problem with the ignition system.

Now my truck is still under the original manufacturers warranty by about 2300 miles, so getting this fixed should have been no problem...right? WRONG :x (11:30 AM)

I asked him how long it would take to fix it and he said only about an hour, and I could be on my way, and he said it would be covered under the warranty, no problem. So he left and I waited for the repairs to be finished. 30 minutes later the Service Manager comes up to me and tells me that they can't perform the repair because the vehicle is "out of factory condition". He goes on to point out my AIRAID intake, body lift, shackles, wiring for my KC's, and my stereo. And he said "Any of those items could have contributed to your problem". I tried to explain to him that the Magnusson Moss act established that unless he could prove the parts caused the problem, then he had no case. I also asked him how in the heck could a properly installed body lift affect the ignition system. (12:00 PM)

After I finished he said he would consult someone at GM, and we would go from there. so I thought, ok, the hassle is over, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He comes back an hour later and tells me that he spoke with someone at GM and they agreed with him totally. So I told him to wait while I made a phone call. (1:00 PM)

I have the good fortune of being very good friends with the son of the Mississippi Public Service Commissioner. I called him (the PS Commissioner) and asked him about the problem, and he did some research and called me back. He told me he was going to call the dealership and speak with the general manager. So I waited. And waited. And waited some more.

Finally he called back and said that the General Manager apparently didn't believe who he was, so he went through the proper channels to contact GM. This is where it gets good. He said that the GM manager/rep told him that this was not the first time they had had trouble out of this dealship. Then he said that the GM rep would be calling me shortly. (1:45 PM)

So I waited another hour or so and I got a call from the GM rep. He apparently was some type of district or area manager. He apologized over and over for the inconveinience, and told me that he would arrange for a rental vehicle if I wanted to continue my trip. I told him that I would rather wait with my truck, considering the vultures at the dealership. So he arranged for a hotel room newby, since he wouldn't be able to make it down until the next morning. I was very surprised by this guy. He was definitely all about taking care of the customer.

Anyways, I took a cab to my hotel room, ordered pizza, and watched TV and went to sleep. The phone rings the next morning--it's the GM guy. he said he is about an hour away, and would like for me to be at the dealership when he gets there. So I got dressed and took another cab back to the dealership. My truck is out on the service lot, un-touched.

The GM guy pulls up in a Colorado crew Z71 and introduces himself. He told me that he was new to this position, and that this was the first time he'd made it to the dealership, so he suggested that I talked to the Service manager again--with him present, to see what he said.

So we went in and asked for the service manager. He came out and I asked him if they had repaired the problem. He reminded me about the aftermarket accessories. So I asked "So you have talked to someone at GM about this and they agreed with you?" And he said yes. So then the GM guy asked to speak with the dealship manager. So we waited a while and were sent to his office.

The dealership manager said that he had been informed of the situation, and that while he was sorry for the inconveinience, there was nothing he could do.

I could tell that the GM guy was getting kinda upset. He was about my height, but kinda pudgy, and his face was starting to get really red. Then he asked if they had spoken with someone at GM, and the dealership manager said yes, and that those were GM's policies.

So the GM guy says "Sir, I can assure you that those are NOT GM's policies concerning vehicle warranty coverage!" The DM was clearly aggravated, and he said "Our hands are tied in this matter. You can either pay for the repair, or you can pick up your keys at the service desk."

--The grande finale--

The GM guy reaches into his pocket, and handed the dealership manager his business card. The DM looked at it for a second, then his face turned white. He started sputtering this and that, and the GM guy held up as hand. Then he asked me to step out of the office for a few minutes.

After I left the office, I heard yelling :D

I was so happy.

So after 10 minutes or so, the DM and the GM guy come out of his office, and the GM guy said "since it's about lunch time, the dealership is going to give you a rental, if you want to get something to each or anything."

Then the DM told me how sorry he was for the mix up...blah blah blah...and that my truck would be ready by the time I got back, with no charge.

So I thanked the GM guy, took the rental Z-71, and went to lunch. I got back about two hours later and the truck was ready. So I left and went on to Missouri. I have had no problems so far :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

hell I say congrats for you just waiting that long , If that were me I might have been removed from the building by the police :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is a wonderful story :thumb:

I really don't understand where the dealership benefits from denying warranty coverage :!:
It sure seems that keeping the customer happy builds buyer confidence, and loyalty.
I would hope that these kind of stories are few and far between, one in a hundred would be too many, but maybe tolerable.

Thanks for playing hardball and making things easier for the next guy. :D I hope this dealership has learned a lesson.

Do us a favor and sit down to write a letter to GM detailing the circumstances , and commend this GM represenative that helped you out. This guy needs a bonus, or at least a nice letter to hang on his wall :D

Send one copy to GM customer service , and a carbon copy to the rep. that helped you out.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Wow!. Dude, you got way more patience than I do! My wife and I went through something like that, but not quite as bad. We had a '98 VW Jetta we got just before we got married. Had nothing but problems with it, Nothing really major but all the problems were annoying non the less. The dealer we we bought it from was pretty good about taking care of it but just before our warranty went out the dealer changed ownership. The difference in quality of service was immediate and obvious. Suddenly they just didn't care, period. During the last fix we had done just before the warranty was up they broke the stereo (not sure how). When we took it back to them and told them what they did, we got "Sorry Sir but we didn't do that! We'll be happy to fix it though since you're under warranty. Oh wait, you're out of warranty now. Too bad but we can't help you!" They basically walked away at that. I tried calling the district VW people and got the same basic "We don't care - we don't have to. You're out of warranty!" Never mind that the dealer broke the radio so it shouldn't have been a warranty issue anyway! Our answer to the whole mess? We traded the car in the next weekend on a Chevy Lumina. I will NEVER buy another VW again! I've talked to other VW owners since and heard similar stories too so I don't feel alone. At least GM was willing to back you up with the dealer. VW wasn't willing to help us out. They just didn't care.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

having worked at a dealership several years ago.... general motors IS about taking care of the customer. regretfully some dealerships "like" to make money. if a dealer says your vehicle is not covered,,,and it is under waranty... call gm's 1-800 number. i have had to do this before for myself,,, and for a customer!!! it pissed off a manager,, but that's what they get payed for!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I agree with brule .. do us a favor and type out a letter thanking this guy because it sounds like he really did go way out of his way to make you happy.. I really don't know about waiting that long for service..I would have been :x
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've already put the letter in the mail. I have a copy at home, when I get a chance I'll post it here.

I did copy the GM guy, and also put some really good comments in there about him :D

I think he is over Mississippi or maybe the northern half or something....

He told me that they do have problems with dealerships alot, from warranty work to sales, to rebates. He said that he wished that GM could directly take over and own each dealership, and get rid of price haggling and other problems. That would be cool in my opinion. I have no problem paying sticker for a vehicle, as long as a dealership doesn't try to rid me off on my trade. Alot of them are just plain dishonest.

Anyways, it's all over thank goodness.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...