Spare Rim Size ?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Spare Rim Size ?

Post by killian96ss »

Anyone know the size and backspacing of the spare tire rim? Is it the same as the stock alloys? I want to get a 31" spare tire, but don't know if it will fit on the stock spare rim. Thanks

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

full size spare rim is same size as wheels on truck but, do not recall seeing anything on if it will fit with a 31 in stock spare location.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My spare is metric sized, but equivalent to 31" It fits snug with the hitch, but it does fit.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:My spare is metric sized, but equivalent to 31" It fits snug with the hitch, but it does fit.
A friend with a fullsize 4x4 came up with an interesting method to mount an oversize spare in the stock location... he deflates it.. he said it gets him a little extra clearance as the tire shrinks a little without the air.
He said he had a car back in the late 60's that came from the factory with a sapre, and a spare 'inflator' bottle, and the car stored the flare flat.. So he tried it on his truck.. in theory at least it sounds good, but dont know if he's ever actually had to use that spare.
I dont recall what kind of car it was he said had the 'stored flat' tire.. Sounds like something Ford would do though :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

kf6kmx wrote:Sounds like something Ford would do though :)
Thats right ford has always been one step ahead of the market.. :lol:

check this out
weid contraption[/url]
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

2bunik wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:Sounds like something Ford would do though :)
Thats right ford has always been one step ahead of the market.. :lol:

check this out
weid contraption[/url]
I was wrong (maybe the last time this year at least :wink: )
It was PONTIAC Firebirds that had the deflated tire..
It was called the "Space-Saver Spare" and gave you back 3cuft of trunk space
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

since pontiac came up with it.. :roll: THAT IS ONE USELESS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT , GLAD FORD IS SMARTER THAN THAT ! :wink:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
BassGuy354

Post by BassGuy354 »

Our crew cab ahs a 16 inch spare donut tire that is supposed to be good for 3000 miles. We've never had to use it, but it is funny looking. There's no way you could put a normal tire on that rim. It's thin, but tall.
[size=75]~Mike[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

2bunik wrote:since pontiac came up with it.. :roll: THAT IS ONE USELESS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT , GLAD FORD IS SMARTER THAN THAT ! :wink:
I had a 73 Trans Am, my wife had a 78 Camaro. If you had one of those cars you would know there was no space in the trunk... that deflated spare was the ticket.

Fords have always been Fix Or Repair Daily :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HenryJ wrote:My spare is metric sized, but equivalent to 31" It fits snug with the hitch, but it does fit.
I am glad this topic came up because I have been procrastinating :| and need to do something about a spare and I wasn't sure if a 31' will fit but now I know it will, thanks HJ.

If HJ says it, it's so!! :wink:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...If HJ says it, it's so!!
:shock: Whoa! I can easily be wrong too :lol:
"Wanna" Isuzu spare tire rack for that spare? :lol:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You can always do this with your spare...

[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

BassGuy354 wrote:Our crew cab ahs a 16 inch spare donut tire that is supposed to be good for 3000 miles. We've never had to use it, but it is funny looking. There's no way you could put a normal tire on that rim. It's thin, but tall.
Yeah , some years of the Crew had full size spares, and some got the compact spare like you have. You should be able to fit a full size spare tire underneath your truck just like everyone else can - might wanna check a few junkyards - you'd be amazed how cheap some of these places will sell you a spare tire for - many times they have a tire that is brand new, although it is a stock size setup.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Would there be any worry about getting a flatspot where the deflated, or partially inflated tire would be pressed up against the hitch for long periods of time? Even rotating every 5000 miles Like I do, I don't use my spare in the rotations as it's not the same size as my other tires.

If I had a 30 as a spare, then I would use it in rotation, but I would still worry about flatspotting the tire, or keeping the cords/belts in the tire flexed/compressed all that time.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]