Bigger Oil Filter ??

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Bigger Oil Filter ??

Post by gocntry »

I Was Doing Some Reading On The Old Posts And Some Of You Seemed To Not like The Factory Size Oil Filter And Have Used A Different One. Should I Be Using A Bigger Filter?, Or Staying With The Factory Recomended One? It's Time For An Oil Change So I Was Wondering Before I Bought A New Filter.

Thanks for Any Help
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Jim

Re: Bigger Oil Filter ??

Post by Jim »

gocntry wrote:I Was Doing Some Reading On The Old Posts And Some Of You Seemed To Not like The Factory Size Oil Filter And Have Used A Different One. Should I Be Using A Bigger Filter?, Or Staying With The Factory Recomended One? It's Time For An Oil Change So I Was Wondering Before I Bought A New Filter.

Thanks for Any Help
When I took mine to the dealer for an oil change they put a small one on like the owners manual says for a 4 cyl. They never got near my truck again. :x The truck had a PF52 on it new & thats what I always use.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Ok,
Cool.....I Must Have Mis-Read The Problem. I Cross Referenced The Ac-Delco PF52 To Fram And It Equals The TG3980 I Am Running On Mine :D So I Am Good To Go.
Jim

Post by Jim »

gocntry wrote:Ok,
Cool.....I Must Have Mis-Read The Problem. I Cross Referenced The Ac-Delco PF52 To Fram And It Equals The TG3980 I Am Running On Mine :D So I Am Good To Go.
Maybe not :shock: I have personally experienced a Fram failure :twisted:
My opinion is they belong in the dumpster.
Last edited by Jim on Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Best Regards, Jim
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I agree with Jim. Always go with an AC Delco PF52 and stay far far away from Fram oil filters.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Wow... :shock: :shock: , That Really Suprised Me....Here I Always Thought I Was Doing My Crewcab A Favor But I Guess I Was NOT Doing It Any Favors.....Thanks For The Info And Ac Delco Here I Come....... :)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Fram filters do suck, and I would stay away from all their filters ( gas, oil, and transmission ). I have heard of the oil filter problem before, and I have had a Fram gas filter collapse before on my 96 Impala SS. Best bet would be to stick with AC Delco brand. If you don't mind paying a little more then I would recommend the K&N oil filter part # HP-2001. I use it on my SS and my S10, and have had no problems. They have an anti drain back valve and 1" end nut to make installing and removing easier. I also prefer Mobile 1 truck performance 15-40W synthetic oil for my S10.

Steve
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, frams filter so good, not even the oil passes through. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Good buddy of mine has worked at Autozone for about 15 years, recently getting tired of the management and quit to go work for O'Rileys across the street.

As such, I now do business with O'Rileys cause all the guys at autozone have been pricks.

I have always run the Delco filters on my trucks/cars, but Once I got engaged, I realized now I am responsible for all of the maintinance on my wife's beat-to-hell Mazda 626.

I go to do an oilchange on both vehicles, and buy the PF52 for my truck, and pull out the oil filter book to look up what her car needs. They were out of the AC Delco, and the only other brands they carry are Wix, Fram, and Motorcraft, with a big emphasis on the Fram brand. Very little AC Delco product, and a decent amount of the wix, but the motorcraft and fram's dominate the shelves.

I grab the fram filter the book says fits her car, cause the Wix filter is like $7 for something half the size of a beer can.

I lay everything down on the counter, and my buddy john looks at the Fram filter, Looks at me, and says "I can't let you do that man."

He picks the Fram filter up, puts it back on the shelf, and grabs the Wix.

I ask him why, and he says "I have no faith in any filter that if you have an engine failure on a Chrysler/Dodge vehicle, and they find that you had a Fram filter installed, they will not honor thier warranty due to the use of an oil filter that does not meet manufacturer specs."

I told him to make sure he had the right AC Delco filter in stock for next time :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

Jim wrote:An interesting oil filter study
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

That report has some interesting information but looks a little dated "last updated 05/25/99"

Here are some more resent test results on the SAE HS 806 test

TIME WEIGHTED EFFICIENCY

WIX PRO-TEC 101= 69.3 %

AC PF-2 = 75.89 %

FRAM DEFENSE DL5851= 80.15 %

FRAM PH8A = 82.03 %

WIX 51515 = 83.96 %

HARD DRIVER HD-01 = 85.87 %

PUROLATOR L30001 = 86.00 %

PURE ONE PL3001 = 91.56 %

AMSOIL SDF-15 = 94.23 %

CAPACITY IN GRAMS

WIX PRO-TEC 101 = 6.38

FRAM PH8A = 8.17

FRAM DEFENSE DL5851 = 11.21

PUROLATOR L30001 = 11.42

PURE ONE PL3001 = 11.64

AC PF-2 = 13.26

WIX 51515 = 13.46

HARD DRIVER HD-01 = 16.95

AMSOIL SDF-15 = 18.19

The HS 806 test reviews the ability of a filter to remove a known contaminate from the fluid stream over a period of time. Results are reported as the percent of contaminant by (weight) removed over a period of time (Time Weighted Efficiency). Capacity (life) is also determined by noting the amount of contaminant required to increase the resistance across the media a given degree. Capacity is reported in grams of contaminant (Capacity in Grams).

Don't confuse the SAE HS 806 test as rating on contaminant size. It has nothing to do with "mircon" rating that is a different test. The SAE J1858 test is used to rate the "mircon" of a filter.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Interesting reading to say the least. Thanks for the link, Brule. :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

For you Fram users, you should read the e-mail from the former Fram engineer in the Oil Filter Study that is in HenryJ's last post. It contains some interesting information.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]