Grease Gun?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Grease Gun?

Post by CrazyChaz »

I recently started doing my own oil changes and now I want to do my own lube job on the front suspension/steering. My question is what brand of Grease Gun should I get? Plus what kind of grease is okay to use on these parts? I would like to also comment on what a great site this is. I may not post alot here but I have learned a good bit just by reading other topics. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like to use a pistol grip grease gun-

Mine is made by lincoln, but most any brand is fine. Spend your money on an 18" hose and a good end that stays on without leakage.

NAPA has them as well as many other locations.

Now for grease. I have been using EP-2 grease. It is water resistant, has a good resistance to breakdown under shearing stress, low leakage rate, etc.

I am using Unocal's brand, but any brand will meet the same EP-2 specs.

Be sure to check out this thread- Lubing and manuals for number, location and which zerks to replace with 90* fittings.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

im a cheapie when it comes to things like that, i spent like 6 bucks in the gun but i use mobil 1 synthetic grease, then gun works fine, its the grease that i think is important, but i definetley agree with the 18 inch extension, i love mine
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I definitely support getting 2 90 degree zerks versus changing the fittings on the gun for the 2 difficult fittings each lube cycle. I tried to just buy them but with most of the people behind the counters, they can talk the talk but, I had to end up removing one and taking it in to the store to get the fittings I needed. They are not standard in thread. You are saving time by researching these threads. There has been a few topics here that I definitely should have researched further before jumping into a task. It would have saved gas and shoe leather for me. You'll feel good about your efforts in the long run!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

Picked up a pistol grip grease gun today(looks like the one in HenryJ's pic only all silver and its made by performance tool).Got some Valvoline Durablend grease also. Still need to pick up the 18"tube and zerks at advance auto parts tomorrow however. On a side note I finished my Quadbeam mod today wish I would have did it sooner.
Jim

Post by Jim »

CrazyChaz wrote:Picked up a pistol grip grease gun today(looks like the one in HenryJ's pic only all silver and its made by performance tool).Got some Valvoline Durablend grease also. Still need to pick up the 18"tube and zerks at advance auto parts tomorrow however. On a side note I finished my Quadbeam mod today wish I would have did it sooner.
I have an air powered gun with an 18" hose. Never have had a problem getting the grease where it needs to be.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.