I must be nuts to keep this thing.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

I must be nuts to keep this thing.

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I was just looking at my waranty work that my truck has gone through and figured I would see if any of you guys have had as much trouble with your Crew Cab as I have.

-Both ball joints (almost right away after buying this truck new)
-Both window weatherstripping (on bottom of window) came off. Had to be siliconed down.
-Exaust leak near manifold
-Torsion bar crossmember was coming off! Tech told me one side was almost completely off. (I wondered why the passenger side looked lower)
-Fuel gauge... now this was anoying. Happened 3 times! It would jump to full, then to empty within seconds, even though I had fuel in the tank. Apparently, it took the last tech guy to figure out that the wires going into the tank were hanging up on the arm for the sending unit, so he just zip tied them out of the way. Everything has worked since. Too bad, because once more and it would have been bought back by the dealership under the lemon law in Wisconsin.
-G80 differential works sometimes. Had it checked twice and they told me it was fine. I'm used to clutch type LSD's, not this crappy ratchet style that GM has. After some research on the 'net, I found it's pretty common for the "locking" differential in our trucks to only work when they want to.
-Kept getting the "check engine" light. Everytime I brought it in, it would show that there is a missfire. They never found out why this kept happening, but the missfire went away on its own. Haven't seen the check engine light in about a year now.
-Left rear tire had a belt seperation... at least it was a tire, not something mechanical that was making the truck vibrate at speed.
-Drvers side window makes a loud cluck when I roll it all the way up. Nobody figured out why it did this, but it fixed itself with time.
-Both front rotors were cracked (nope, didn't do any towing with it up to this point)

There was a few other cosmetic things also, but not really worth mentioning. Oh, forgot this one, I was told I had a new passenger front shock when I went to pick up my truck once. I was told that when they put it up on the lift, the shock fell apart! Yeah, sounds kind of fishy to me too. All this was withing the first 18 months of owning my '02 Crew Cab. Now there is rust starting on all 4 doors, tailgate, and front fenders. I had better luck with all my used vehicles in the past.

Even after all this, I'm still considering a body/suspension lift and some decent wheels. I must be nuts to keep this thing. :lol:

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You have a pretty good laundry list.

I haven't had quite as much luck as you , but quite a few things annoyed me too.

Check out this thread- warranty issues so far...

I have mine fixed up to a point where things are pretty good now :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Musta been made on a Monday or Friday! lol

Good luck!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Oh my gosh i thought i was the only one

My fuel gauge when i stop goes cycles from full to empty for a minute every time i stop. I learned to ignore it too untill i ran out of gas while waiting for the light in a busy intersection. :x
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

My S-10 is starting to get a list like yours. Thanks for the post. I wonder why the passenger side looked lower. I have just passed it off has the way my driveway was laid.

1. I had to have the passengers side door realigned because it did not match up to the rest of the frame of the truck. (Warranty through GM)

2. Blown a tire on the Interstate. Thought that it was my fault. Replaced it with the spare Tire. (Not under Warranty)

3. I had a belt brake inside the tire. Replaced (Not under Warranrty)

4. The drivers side door pins went bad. (Replaced Under Warranty) Also asked about the tires since I felt a shake in the back.

5. Schedule a day for GM to look at my tires. I am also adding to the list
for them to check the items that you have added.

6. My defrost will only blow out through the front vents

MAYBE I SHOULD TRADE IT FOR A FORD!!!!
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Henry,
Thanks for that link! Now I know I am not the only one :? The other thread gave me some things to check out.

Man, GM has sure dropped the ball on these trucks... heck, the first vehicle I had was a '82 S-10 with a SBC sitting nicely in the engine compartment. I had NO problems with that truck at all. So, I buy new and look what happens :roll:

About the gas gauge, yeah it fluctuates, but the problem I was having was that it move to full stay there, then slam to empty while I was driving on the highway at a constant speed. I still can't believe it took three people to figure out that the float was hanging up on the wires that looped down into the tank. I still remember the tech's face, he was so happy to have found a solution to a problem that his buddies couldn't figure out.

Rob,
No, don't do it man! Don't go to the darkside... or well, after all these problems...hmmm. But, then again, all this stuff just gives our trucks character :wink:

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

1. How can you tell if a ball joint is bad?

2. I asked the dealership to look at my Torsion bar crossmember because the passenger side is lower. He said that this was due to the "Z" height adjustment and would not be covered under warranty.

3. Any suggestions???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

robbtodd wrote:...Any suggestions???
Check the Stock Information , from the website and adjust your own Z height .

If you are unsure how to adjust it refer to the Modifications Information's T-bar crank.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Damn! My 02 S-10 wasn't in to the dealer for any warranty work! Guess it must have been a Wednesday truck. :wink:
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
Hirolln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hirolln »

robbtodd wrote: 6. My defrost will only blow out through the front vents

MAYBE I SHOULD TRADE IT FOR A FORD!!!!
Mine did this too, I took it in and they fixed a whole bunch of things to fix it. Without the paperwork in front of me right now, I cant tell you what exactly they fixed but here's the gist of it. ...

There's a vaccum line running from the heater controls to the transmission or t-case (cant remember which) and there's some valve that failed which let fluid from the tranny into the heater controls which made them stick into vent position.

Just FYI
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Some of mine.

Battery went dead and would not take a charge.

Ripped side walls on the goodyears.

Crew door panels falling off.

Paint pealing around pass. crew door. Still after repaint.

Seat cover had to be replaced.

Driver door panel had glue on it and mineral spirits took the finish off, replaced.

I will walk before I would buy another car from Haydocy GMC in Columbus Ohio.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

With all the troubles I still feel it is a better truck than a Canyon. I would rather fix a 4.3 that is "traditional". Than a inline five.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Hey, my battery went dead also! Would not take a charge either. I thought it was just a fluke, so I replaced it with an Optima yellow top.

I have adhesive on some of my panels too. It looks pretty crappy. Does anybody have a good method for removing that stuff from the plastic panels?

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my '03 has only seen the dealership once.. that was for the airbag light, at 34k miles.. never been into ANY shop yet, except options (like Magnaflow muffler, etc)..

What tires are on the trucks that are separating so bad? mine came with Laredo's and they are passing 37k and still going.. I'm changing them to get offroad traction (these stink offroad)..
Its had a few strange noises come and go, but nothing that made a trip to the dealer necessary..
And I'm even on my factory shocks still! (they feel like they did when I got it.. but then that isn't saying much for them... :? )
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I love my crewcab!!!! :bounce:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

quickbiker wrote:I love my crewcab!!!! :bounce:
Mee Too :bounce: :roflmao: :bounce:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.