ZR5 vs. non ZR5???

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

GMan

ZR5 vs. non ZR5???

Post by GMan »

Hello everyone...i'm a new member to the forum. I drive a 99 sonoma 2x4, and have been drooling over crew cabs since I first layed my eyes on them.

I plan on trading my truck in on a crew cab in the very near future, but before I do, i'd like to know what the differences are between the ZR5 crew cab and the regular crew cab.

I know the ZR5 get bed rails, running boards, different wheels(sometimes), a roof rack, fender flares and a couple of decals, but what else?

Is it like the ZR2 which includes a wider suspension package? :D

I just don't want to regret not getting the ZR5 later on.

Thanks in advance for any replys,
Jared
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You just listed everything the ZR5 has that a regular CrewCab doesn't. It's just an appearance package...nothing more than that.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Biggest benefit , IMO, is the flares. (I like the wheels too )

No one is making flares for Crews , YET.

Oh, and , Welcome :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

Welcome to the site and I agree with HenryJ the flares are the nicest feature of the ZR5
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

welcome to the site.. I know something the Crew cab can do and the ZR2 can't.. Seat 5 people.. :D Yeah the ZR2 is wider and higher stock.. But if your a true wrench monkey. You can get the crew that high really quickly and with a grand total of 550 extra bucks not including the tires.. It can be as wide and as high. If I wasn't married I would maybe get the ZR2.. But I really love the crew cab.. :?
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

the zr5 appearance package includes roof rack, bed rail, step bars,wheel flares, 5 spoke spectra gray rims,(black accents on chevy,gray accents on gmc)black front and rear bumpers and black grill, notice my avatar has the the black front end,and those nifty little zr5 decals.which are 44 bucks each if you wanted to buy them, i personally am glad i got the zr5 over the none zr5 and would make the same choice again, but id look for a better color and price, also look at the gear ratio before you buy and id look for a fullsize spare but thats just me.
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

smokinjoe wrote:the zr5 appearance package includes roof rack, bed rail, step bars,wheel flares, 5 spoke spectra gray rims,(black accents on chevy,gray accents on gmc)black front and rear bumpers and black grill, notice my avatar has the the black front end,and those nifty little zr5 decals.which are 44 bucks each if you wanted to buy them, i personally am glad i got the zr5 over the none zr5 and would make the same choice again, but id look for a better color and price, also look at the gear ratio before you buy and id look for a fullsize spare but thats just me.

:) What he said :thumb:
GMan

Post by GMan »

OK, so there are no differences in the drivetrain. Just differences in looks. Got it!

Knowing this, I decided that I will settle for a non ZR5, but about how much should I pay for a used on with under 30k miles?

Here in CC, Texas I've only seen 2 for sale and they were both somewhere around 18 grand...both 2002 and non ZR5, but in great condition.

How much did ya'll pay?

Thanks alot,
Jared
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

I picked my 2001 up in michigan last december for $12,800 WITH 45K but I got a good deal on it :) It blue booked for around 18
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i got mine new for in 2003 for 22,000 and change....that reminds me my tags are coming due next month...need to get a hnadle on that
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I got my loaded 2003 ZR5 for $19000 plus tax for a grand total of 21,000 last june.. (except leather which I didn't want anyway..) :D

Oh an zr5's do not come with fender flares..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:...Oh an zr5's do not come with fender flares..
Well GMC's don't :?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

all right so you got me on that one
cronkm

Post by cronkm »

I picked up a 2002(non zr5) with 19,000 miles in Dallas last Sept. Paid 16,500. Great deal and still with factory warranty. Saw it on ebay.
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

man must be nice to live in the states my zr5 was 36000 brand new ( canadaian) i was a stupid impulse buyer however and would think alot more if i was buying now...ugh
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

me too, i could have done much better if i had taken the time
GMan

Post by GMan »

Cool, thanks everyone. Now that I have an idea of what the price should be, all I need to do is pay off my truck($2220 to go), then trade it in.
Jared
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Now, I know up front that you will think that this newbie is blowing smoke but, I traded my '97 ZR2 at the beginng of this month (May 2004) for a "new" untitled 2002 SR5 (had just over 600 mi on odometer) with every whistle and bell possible for under 18k excluding trade in value. The downside to this find is that I catch every school bus and taxi joke coming and going (yes, it is yellow). Yes I like it and at that price I would have bought it if it was Mary Kay pink. Wanna do a 2" lift soon and will be asking for pointers. Am glad I found you people!

[Work is the curse of the drinking man..........Oscar Wilde][/quote]
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

f9k9 wrote: (yes, it is yellow). ]

ya i saw you the other day on the road and couldnt help but yeild :lol:

do you call that thing, big bird :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

As far as the fender flares go, don't the Sonomas come with flares in the rear only?

My ZR5 is a GMC, no flares in front for sure, but the rear looks like an added piece something like a flare. Maybe, all crews have what I have as far as the rear flares are concerned.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

anvil wrote:... the rear looks like an added piece something like a flare. Maybe, all crews have what I have as far as the rear flares are concerned.
All of the 2001 up non-ZR5 crews have the rear flare.
It is there to make the Isuzu bed look more like the same bodylines as the front fenders.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I get called a school bus too. But I like my yellow :D
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

GMan wrote:OK, so there are no differences in the drivetrain. Just differences in looks. Got it!

Knowing this, I decided that I will settle for a non ZR5, but about how much should I pay for a used on with under 30k miles?

Here in CC, Texas I've only seen 2 for sale and they were both somewhere around 18 grand...both 2002 and non ZR5, but in great condition.

How much did ya'll pay?

Thanks alot,
Jared

In my opinion, the MOST important thing to look for if you plan on lifting, or even going to a bigger tire, is the gear ratio. There are a lot of 3.42 crews out there, and those of us afflicted with that gear ratio will all tell you........GET ONE WITH 3.73's!!!!

If you plan on keeping the stock size everything and driving it the way it is, then 3.42's are fine, but you will be terribly unhappy with the performance if you try putting a 30 or 31 on the truck. It's not that hard or expensive to get the truck lifted enough to fit the tires, but it's almost $1000 for a gear ratio change, not including any sort of rear limited-slip or posi unit.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

right! if you have 3.73's, then you can deal with 33's...but 35's will need some gears. you could find a set of axels with 4.56 or so gears already setup and just sfa it for about the same price if you can do it yourself
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]