How long do you plan to keep and why did you switch?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

How long do you plan to keep and why did you switch?

Post by HenryJ »

We seem to be losing people, or more appropriately trucks. It made me think...How long do you plan to keep your S-series Crew?

What made you sell it if you do , or did?

What will, or did you get to replace it? Why?

I will be in mine for quite some time. Probably a minimum of 10 years, barring incident. It fits my lifestyle, driving habits, and terrain. Parts availability is good, and the conversion to a V-8 has been done and is a possibility. Who knows maybe some day I'll do that 9" Ford/Porsche IFS :roll:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I plan on keep'n my s10 till its wore out or if some one offers me enough $$$ as is than I would have to let her go
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

until it is paid off and i am out of school. This will be around late 2005 and I hope the hummer H3T will be in production. I'm getting some great job offers for internships and after i graduate, I will have no car loans, no student loans, I haven't had a credit card so there won't be any bills to pay.... So by then I think it will be a good time to trade. Basically start fresh with two payments, new truck and apartment. Allother money will be set aside to build a house...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
ExMoparMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ExMoparMan »

I will have mine for awhile, the wife wants to get rid of the mini van and get a Rubicon Jeep :D and in 2 or 3 years the kids will be all moved out so all will be good :lol:
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time provided they remain dependable and we don't out grow them.

We just sold our 92 cavalier after 11 years of reliable service. It was getting a little long in the tooth and our son is getting to big for its cramped back seat. We replaced it with a low milage 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Nice car.

Provided my S10 continues to serve me well and doesn't start leaving me stranded, it will most likely see the 10 year mark under my ownership. However, if they were to redesign the interior and offer a real engine in the Colorado, well....

I am not going anywhere. This is a great site with great people. 8)

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

My blazer is a 2000 model, but I just turned over 38,000 miles. I plan on keeping it until it falls apart. I don't believe in the "trade one in every other year" theory. My 89 Jimmy had 230,000 miles on it before it left the family. My Z24 had 80K on it. My Nissan pickup was well over 100K.

Right now, I owe about $11,000 on the truck , and it's book value is $11,600 avg trade in, and $14K average retail. I like not being upside-down on a car note, and the fiancee (24 days til the wedding) has a Mazda 626 that is in pretty sad shape and will need replacing in another year or so. So the Blazer is sticking around for a while -- plus I'm just now getting it to where I want it :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'll keep it until something else comes along that I have to have and can afford. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

AZS10Crew wrote:I'll keep it until something else comes along that I have to have and can afford. :)
I think that sums me up as well. Normally I like having stuff that no one else has. The crew was like that(and still is). I'm starting to get more picky now so it appears I'm keeping them longer than I use to. Also, the Crew is paid off and the Trooper has two years of 0% fin.! :) so I'm sitting pretty on payments right now. Trooper and the Crew are pretty cheap to insure as well so I can't complain. One reason I was itching to trade in the crew was to get something bigger with better lift kit options, but with the commercial registration and the superlift kit info coming in, it might sway me to do the later. The only other thing is to get some more "dry" storage space. I might look into those soft-top caps since they are made now for our trucks and should be easier to remove to carry my motorcycle. Maybe with the money I save in not buying a fullsize, I can get an ATV!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Conman wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:I'll keep it until something else comes along that I have to have and can afford. :)
I think that sums me up as well. Normally I like having stuff that no one else has. The crew was like that(and still is). I'm starting to get more picky now so it appears I'm keeping them longer than I use to. Also, the Crew is paid off and the Trooper has two years of 0% fin.! :) so I'm sitting pretty on payments right now. Trooper and the Crew are pretty cheap to insure as well so I can't complain. One reason I was itching to trade in the crew was to get something bigger with better lift kit options, but with the commercial registration and the superlift kit info coming in, it might sway me to do the later. The only other thing is to get some more "dry" storage space. I might look into those soft-top caps since they are made now for our trucks and should be easier to remove to carry my motorcycle. Maybe with the money I save in not buying a fullsize, I can get an ATV!

Cheers,
Con
You need to move to AZ where the only real lift limit is "keep it under 16 ft tall." :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Well, my 02 is at the dealer as we speak fot the balance shaft rattle. It really bothers me! They are still doing the tensioner fix.............

I had quite a few problems with my 02 CC, some minor, and others not so minor. They finally located and fixed the knock/poping noise in the front suspension. I had started the lemon law procedures with GM, and was working with the New Motor Vehicle Board as the middle man, and that got GM's attention.

When all was said and done I got my money back on the 5 year, 75000 mile GMPP extended warranty I had purchased. GM then gave me a free 6 year, 100000 mile, zero deductible, GMPP warranty for working with them and not going the lemon law route. Those were my terms and they accepted.............

It is paid for, and I got a good buy on it ($20,200 new) so I will be keeping it at least untill the warranty runs out! And if a good lift is available in the future, well that is even better!

Dave
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm in it for the long haul. The truck fits me too good. Only thing that a tall guy like me can fit in, all other is a head thumper. :D

And besides, Chevy rules!

And it looks like we are getting more new people, more ppl than are leaving. And as our trucks age, watch out for more people getting into mods, should be a very interesting future for the site! Yehaaaaw!!! :P
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

When I bought mine, the agreement with my wife was that it was the last new vehicle for a long time. Heck, I'll probably keep it running longer than medical science will keep me running! :lol:
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

I plan on keepin mine for at least 10 years or until it starts fallin apart. I think its the perfect size (You can still park & turn around with out have to make a 3 point everywhere). The gas mileage isn't to bad either. The only thing I want is a lift for it. I really wanted a ZR2 b/c I like the style but after having a 2 door for the past 6 years I knew I needed the crew...anyway, I hope that superlift kit pans out b/c I'll be first in line.
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

well the wife is going to need a new car by the end of the year and she asys her new car will be the one we have children with, so that limits me to keep the crew for at least 6 years, ill be much happier though if i can talk her into letting me a rotch crocket(yes i meant it) to help keep the miles and wear down on the crew but shes not going for it, but i love my s-10 and this is my 4th s-series, i love them but eventually when our fututre kids are older i want to upgrade to a fullsize crew or suv, although by then all cars will fly
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

S10 forever

Post by snowsurfer »

I bought a S10 in 83 New and still have it along with my new 03 Crew that i got in November 02'.
Of course my 83' has undergone an V8 swap, got rid of the 2.8 over 8 yrs ago and never turned back....
In my new 03' I tried something different, a Powerdyne SC. Not bad for the money and easy install but no where near the power of a V8 like in my 83'.
I was sad to see that the S10's will no longer be in production, I've had 4 S10's in the last 20+ yrs and like I said still have my 83...
Aloha
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I was a trade-in every 2 years guy. But the money has gotten to the point that I'm stuck (not a bad thing, right?) with my s-10. Our primary vehicle, a (nervous gulp) mini-van, will need replaced in 3-4 years. That's priority. To try and stop my money escalating escapades of 'visit the dealer' every 2 years, I leased my crew. The lease is up in 2007. I have no idea what I'll do then, since it'll be the first time I'm not upside down in a vehicle in a long time. I may refinance and own it, or just upgrade to the newest thing.

Maybe, just maybe... the Colorado will become a truck by then. If not, I'll probably just refinance the 4K that I'll owe and own the S-10. Again, all depending if the thing is still running.

But I'm starting to eye-up the Nissan Titan. I really like it. We'll see what a 4 year track record does to them, but the specs look pretty good on them.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Paid mine off this week. I will keep it at least 5 more years.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Brad wrote:Paid mine off this week. I will keep it at least 5 more years.

Brad
That icon's gotta go. :puke: :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:That icon's gotta go. :puke: :lol:
Jealous?!? ;) :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Isn't impersonation a crime? :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Isn't impersonation a crime? :lol:
Impersonation? Brad isn't Brad? Hmmm...I guess that I should admit my name isn't really Henry ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

if its gonna be like that around here i guess i should become quitsmokinjoe :(
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

Mine will probably be around another couple years at least, it only has 67,000 miles so I have barely broke it in. Besides, I finally have it looking the way I want it and it would be a shame to unload it at this point. The other thing is I have not decided if I even like the Canyon yet, so it may come down to a choice between that and a Sierra.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

I plan on keeping my truck after the lease expires. And i hope to keep it past the 15yrs or 20 yrs mark....hoping that being a mechanic should help keeping the truck in tip top shape ;)
jayall23
Regular
Regular

Post by jayall23 »

I will keep my cc for as long as it keeps running. 2001 w/ 24k miles, I don't haul much, no kids so it has plenty of room for my junk, I couldn't be happier with it.
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

I'm planning on keeping my cc untill it either falls apart. It's a 2001 w/53,000 on it and I hope that it will reach the 200,000 mark wich will be about another 6 or 7 years. I usally drive from 20-25,000 a year so hopefully it will last.
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
MyWhiteKnight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MyWhiteKnight »

I plan to keep mine as long as possible. I too like having a ride that
ya don't see a dozen of the same, in every parking lot. The twins will
be getting their learners permits in 5 years and 2 months, and I sure hope I have some additional wheels for them to make their mistakes with
while learning. If GM discontinues the S-10, the crew cabs will most
likely become sought after by collectors, because so few were made.
2002 S-10 Crew LS original owner, ZR2-PA3 Wheels, Leer Cap, high performance distributor, MPFI spider injector, K&N FIPK, HD Bilsteins, Flowmaster Super 44, Proform Bowtie differential cover & LubeLocker gasket, LED chrome/smoke taillights, chrome/smoke parking/fog lights, Spec-D chrome/smoke projector headlights with Halo & LED DRL, Pioneer CD/MP3/WMA receiver, 3-way door speakers, 2-JL Audio 8's in CrewCab sub box, and Ventshade hood/window deflectors.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

SOld mine and bought a Jeep wrangler already. Quality and fit and finish are way better than my sonoma.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Matt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Matt »

I got my GMC CC in january of 2003, I loved it ever since. Sure there are a few things I dont like about it, but those can be fixed. We all know that our trucks need to be lifted to get the right stance. No GM isnt perfect, and if they were, their trucks would be much more expensive. I look at it like this, in 5 years when its all paid off, I know that I will have one of not so many trucks out there. I always dreamed of buying that one vehicle that in 25 years is a collectors item. Well I think I have it. So mine is not going anywhere. This truck will go to my son (when I have one in 5 to 7 years) and if he totals it, then I guess that I will just have to fix it. Same goes for me. I love my truck. I guess thats it.
make up for your lack of speed with an over the top stereo. This way your still cool.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

S10's forever

Post by snowsurfer »

In the last 20 years I've purchased 2 new S10's 83' & 03' and 3 used, 85', 87, and 95. Today I still have my 83 Ex Cab 4 X 4, w/V8 which I purchased new and my new 03 Crew with a Powerdyne SC. I hope my new Crew will last another 20 yrs since there will be no more S10's.
I guess you could say I like S10's. It's been fun doing V8 swaps on all of them except my new crew (NOT YET!).
The new computers make modifying quite a challenge, like the older ones better, oh well, that's Progress!!!