Windshield

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Windshield

Post by barch97 »

Got hit with a pebble on the lower edge pass side a while back. Didn't notice it until it had spread a crack up beyond the wiper. With the dramatic temperature swings we've been having lately, the crack has spread clear across the bottom half of the windshield. It's not really a visual obstruction but, the glare is pretty annoying when the sun hits it right.

Anyway... Truck's due for inspection in April and surely will not pass without a new windshield. I did an online quote from one of these joints that comes out and replaces glass and was about $290. Anyone replaced a windshield yet? Is this a reasonable price? Seems a tad on the high side to me but, not too bad what with the on site service and all.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

yeah..that sounds pretty cheap. I've had a windshield replaced on a jeep wrangler which is simply a flat piece of glass. That cost me $340
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I've got $0 deductible glass on mine, so I've never spent a dime on a windshield. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I've replaced 4-5 windshields (never an s-10 though) and they have all cost around $275 or so. But that was because it was on my auto insurance. The actual cost of all of them was between $500 and $700. Are you sure that $290 price isn't your insurance deductible plus miscellaneous fees and taxes the insurance company doesn't cover?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

AZS10Crew wrote:I've got $0 deductible glass on mine, so I've never spent a dime on a windshield. :D
got full glass coverage also. We need it in the north here. Just too bad NJ insurance is terrible. 300 seems reasonable since glass can cost alot more. I had a rear window replaced on a Suzuki Swift and insurance paid like one grand to replace it. Lucky I had full coverage.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

The 700-900 price is the incredibly inflated pricing that your insurance companies get for windshields. (Kinda like how the military pays $400 for a $5 hammer)

I never claim that stuff on my Insurance anymore - seems they always found it a good excuse to up my rates at the end of my renewal period. $0 deductible would be nice, but I don't have it.

I just called one of the biggest glass replacement companies in nothern Louisiana and they quoted me a cash-in-hand price of $146, tax and installation included, no insurance companies involved. I have a crack running up right in my line of sight but I got the truck inspected by a friend of the family 3 weeks ago, so I'm going to live with it for a while.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

when I was living in Hoboken I had my window replaced on my '88 Blazer.
I think it was Diamond Auto Glass, anyway, it was $250 installed and
they came out right to the truck to do it.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
jeramey_pa

Post by jeramey_pa »

Try Safelite Auto Glass. I think they are nationwide. They are C-H-E-A-P. And they do it on site. I think the number is 1-800-800-ASAP.

They buy the exact same glass as the dealer, and can sell it out the door installed less than the dealer can buy it.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks to all for the tips. I'll definately check into "Safelite Auto Glass".
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

barch97 wrote:Thanks to all for the tips. I'll definately check into "Safelite Auto Glass".
Safelite is good as they are the glass repairer for my insurance company. I've used them a couple of times for chips and they fill them in pretty good. They come to your home or work. They don't have many stores anymore as they pretty much gone 100% mobile now.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]