Newbe with door chime/ warning question

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Stanley Staples

Newbe with door chime/ warning question

Post by Stanley Staples »

hi everyone, i have a 2004 GMC Sonoma crewcab and 2 days ago i was on my way to pick up my daughter after work and about 5 minutes into the trip my door chime dinged 3 times in a row. so i turned my radio off to listen and happened again a couple minutes later. it repeated this 2-3 times and then got really loud. there were no idiot lights and all gauges looked fine so i pulled over and checked anything i could think of .... these are the things i ruled out , open door, seatbelt, gas cap, blinker. i turned off the truck and restarted it and it continued and i still couldnt find anything so i went on my way listening to this . the only indicator at all was the display on the radio displayed "normal" when the trucked chimed at the normal level and "loud when the truck chimed louder. it repeated this sequence for about 10- 15 minutes and then stopped. has anyone had this issue before? or does anyone know what it means? i tried a search and found nothing.

Also i have been lurking around for over a year and found this site very helpful.

any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Ed
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Go to your local dealership... to be honest I have never heard of anybody having a problem like you describe.

If it is a computer problem the part comes with a 5year warranty from the manufacturer.(if your truck is out of warranty) Something most people dont know about.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are you sure you didn't have a turn signal on? I caught mine doing that a couple times when the turn signal did not cancel.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Stanley Staples

Post by Stanley Staples »

Thanks for the info Dave, i might call the dealer and ask about taking it in.

and Brule in answer to your question, that was the first thing i checked because i had that happen once before. i even tried turning the blinker on and back off and it still continued.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This may offer some suspects.
GM Data wrote:Chime Always On

Schematic Reference: Audible Warnings Schematics

1- Did you perform the Audible Warnings Diagnostic System Check?
2-1. Turn the headlamps OFF.
2. Turn the ignition OFF.
3. Remove the key from the ignition.
4. Close all doors.

Does the chime sound?

3- Do any indicators illuminate when the chime sounds?
4-1. Install a scan tool.
2. Observe the Key In Ignition parameter in the BCM Input Data List.
3. Insert and then remove the key from the ignition.

Does the Key In Ignition parameter change states?

5- Test the key in ignition signal circuit for a short to ground.
6- Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the ignition key alarm switch.

7 Replace the ignition switch.
Scanning for BCM codes will help for sure. An internal fault will store a code 1000

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK