Steering Stabilizer

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Steering Stabilizer

Post by 24digger »

Any one notice that we don't have a steering stabilizer, but we have a bracket for one.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Steering Stabilizer

Post by Conman »

24digger wrote:Any one notice that we don't have a steering stabilizer, but we have a bracket for one.

Quick biker has one but I'm not sure it will fit without a trailmaster lift kit. Let me know if there is a GM bolt on one cause I'm making my GMpartsdirect order this week.

Glad you asked as I was unaware we did not have one.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

Post by bad bowtie »

I installed a BDS steering stabilizer. It was easy. You do need a special kit to mount the shock to the steering arm. I did help my truck since I have 31" BFG
2002 crewcab ZR5 -- dark metallic blue , 2" PA bodylift , 1.5"torsion bar and shackle lift , 31" BFG all-terrians , K&N airfilter and 40 series , Flowmaster exhaust , Leer 100XQ cap , AND MUCH MORE!!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

24digger wrote:Any one notice that we don't have a steering stabilizer, but we have a bracket for one.

Yea, I noticed that too when I hacked off the stock brackets to put my TM kit on. But now I got the TM dual stabilizer.

It would be nice to add if you off road and you're stock yet.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Pics?
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

do you really need one with 28s or 30s? I really only need one, I had 2 but I poped one so it's just for looks now. The only difference I see is my steering wheel returns by itself now.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:

Yea, I noticed that too when I hacked off the stock brackets to put my TM kit on. But now I got the TM dual stabilizer.

It would be nice to add if you off road and you're stock yet.
why duals?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Dunno. :?: That's the way it was sold I guess.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

bad bowtie wrote:I installed a BDS steering stabilizer. It was easy. You do need a special kit to mount the shock to the steering arm. I did help my truck since I have 31" BFG
Any pics? Did you get the dual one? Their site doesn't list a single one for the late model S-series, and it says the duals are for vehicles with the 5" lift only. Got any part number(s)?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:Dunno. :?: That's the way it was sold I guess.
does your steering wheel reaturn back by itself?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

No, they are shocks not springs! :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I also have this bracket. Does this mean that some extended cab 4x4's came with one, or maybe it was an option? Are the Crew Cab frames the same as the extended cab frames? The bracket is obviously there for a reason.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

We only have one bracket end for the stabilizer. On my ZR2 the linkage has a hole in it for the other end of the stabilizer. I haven't been able to find a stabilizer to fit ours yet, though I haven't look very hard only at 4 wheel parts. We need one that clamps on at one end.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

24digger wrote:We only have one bracket end for the stabilizer. On my ZR2 the linkage has a hole in it for the other end of the stabilizer. I haven't been able to find a stabilizer to fit ours yet, though I haven't look very hard only at 4 wheel parts. We need one that clamps on at one end.
Does your ZR2 have a factory stabilizer on it or does it just have the brackets? When you say linkage you are referring to the center link right? Do the ZR2 and the Crew Cab share the same part # for the center link? It seems that if the brackets are there then it should be some sort of option and we should be able to find a GM part # for the stabilizer.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

killian96ss wrote:
24digger wrote:We only have one bracket end for the stabilizer. On my ZR2 the linkage has a hole in it for the other end of the stabilizer. I haven't been able to find a stabilizer to fit ours yet, though I haven't look very hard only at 4 wheel parts. We need one that clamps on at one end.
Does your ZR2 have a factory stabilizer on it or does it just have the brackets? When you say linkage you are referring to the center link right? Do the ZR2 and the Crew Cab share the same part # for the center link? It seems that if the brackets are there then it should be some sort of option and we should be able to find a GM part # for the stabilizer.
The other end of the steering stabilizer on the zr2's goes to a hole in the relay rod on the steering linkage. The relay rod on the crew's, ext & reg cabs don;t have that extra hole in the relay rod to attach it to.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Dragonmaster wrote:The other end of the steering stabilizer on the zr2's goes to a hole in the relay rod on the steering linkage. The relay rod on the crew's, ext & reg cabs don;t have that extra hole in the relay rod to attach it to.
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is a relay rod? I know of a center link, idler arm, pitman arm, and inner & outer tie rods. Do the ZR2's actually have a stabilizer installed from the factory or just the brackets?
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

killian96ss wrote:
Dragonmaster wrote:The other end of the steering stabilizer on the zr2's goes to a hole in the relay rod on the steering linkage. The relay rod on the crew's, ext & reg cabs don;t have that extra hole in the relay rod to attach it to.
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is a relay rod? I know of a center link, idler arm, pitman arm, and inner & outer tie rods. Do the ZR2's actually have a stabilizer installed from the factory or just the brackets?
Centre rod aka relay rod, the zr2's have a factory stabilizer.

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Dragonmaster wrote:
killian96ss wrote:
Centre rod aka relay rod, the zr2's have a factory stabilizer.
I wonder if the ZR2 center link is longer than the crew cab center link? I would think so since the frame is wider on a ZR2, but it would be interesting to know if the ZR2 link could be made to work on the Crew's so we could have a stabilizer. If it wouldn't work I guess we would have to find one that clamps on one end as 24digger stated.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

The frame isn't wider, the track width is wider, I think the centre rod is the same length. Easiest way to know would be to ask one of the members at zr2.com to measure from grease poin to grease point.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dragonmaster wrote:... I think the centre rod is the same length. ...
I have to agree, and furthermore I think that one from an older model may work also.
My old 1986 S-10 Sport has the factory steering stabilizer. The center link has the right hole, and appears to be the same.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK