Off sick today

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Off sick today

Post by WVHogRider »

OK, so I was off yesterday sick, and made it a total of 3 hours today at work before everyone said to go home before I got them sick. :puke: I'm one of those people that feel lazy if I'm not doing something. I've been hearing a funny noise from the front passenger side (and was almost 100% sure it wasn't the bearing), and on my way home I also became aware of the brakes slipping almost like the ABS is kicking in on flat surfaces. :yikes: I come home and relax for about 3 hours :| before I get fidgety(SP?). I know the truck needs work...so :idea: , flip the shocks to be in correct position :oops: , lube the brake slides and front end. Well, I got the front lubed and front shocks flipped into the proper position. I am not feeling even near good enough to tackle the idler arm, (new one is sitting in my back seat). However, in doing this little bit of work, I found all of the following problems: 1)that my brakes are slipping due to the driver side front caliper having a small leak that is coating the inside of the rotor/brake pad, 2)the passenger side rear caliper has the bottom slide pin stuck, 3)the passenger side inner CV boot is slinging grease and almost slides off as I rotoate the wheel, and 4)I still need to replace the idler arm. Money is tight right now due to Christmas and everything, but I guess I'll have to tackle the front caliper and CV boot immediately due to the obvious safety issues.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A large hose clamp will work on the inner CV boot. Just don't be an idiot like me and jack up the truck by the frame. It's increases the axle angle and getting the boot back on is nearly if, not impossible. Use ramps or support it under the offending side's lower a arm. Hope you get to feeling better, Bro.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote: Hope you get to feeling better, Bro.
Thanks. I think I got if off my daughter last week and it didn't really hit me till late this weekend. Dang kids at school. I can't really complain though, I typically only get sick once a year.

My plan was to spray everything down with degreaser (Gunk), hose off, wipe area down with towel, remove old clamp, repack with grease as I know it needs it, and reclamp as mentioned with large hose clamp. What, if anything would you guys do different and what brand/type of grease do you guys recommend?
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you haven't lost much , just wipe it down and clamp it. CV joints use a special grease. It is available in packets if you really need to add some. I would avoid spraying any water down there. Water in the boot would be a bad thing.

Our family has been sick for a while now. The little one is finally getting over it. I am hitting the peak, I hope. So far I have only missed a couple days of work. This week I am back to work, but probably should not be.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:Our family has been sick for a while now. This week I am back to work, but probably should not be.
Hope you and the family get better soon, especially the little one, ( hate to see the little ones sick, plus you don't have to put up with their :cry: along with listening to your own or your spouse's whining at the same time).

However, I just pop'd out of a medicated state, and realized that this could possibly fit under the warranty work that the truck is going in Thursday for, (stated in http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=) Seeing that some members had it fixed under warranty, I figure I might as well try. I'll try to call and let the service manager know tomorrow about it.

So tomorrow, I'll pick up the new caliper, and fix both the caliper problem and the stuck rear slide issue (with the persuasion of a drill press at my parent's house. If I'm up to it after working all day.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Update. Just got a call from the dealer. Problems they found with the truck-------Both inner CV boots, the intake is leaking oil, driver side caliper is leaking brake fluid, tail gate cables, driver side window motor, and the secondary air pump system. :shock: :wink: I knew about the one CV boot, the oil leak (but hadn't idendified from where yet), the caliper, and the window motor/switch issue that leaves the window half way down at the worst possible time (raining). However, I never would have guessed they would try to throw all of it under the warranty. He's going to call me back later to let me know if the warranty company will cover everything. I figured the caliper and oil leak would have been thrown out due to falling under "Routine maintenance items NOT covered". :?: Have I forgotten about any other notorious CC issues that I could bring up?

Side note-I asked if they were going to remove or replace the secondary air system. I got the dealer :bs: that "It's illegal for us to just remove it. We must replace it" even though I pointed out the TSB that is attached to my warranty for the Impala 4.3's from Chevy (that Killian96ss provided in another thread) that says to remove the system through the dealer.

Meanwhile, I'm still driving a CC. :wink: My dad's 2005 GMC Sierra CC. :lol:

I'll keep you updated. :idea: I should probably see how much they would charge to install the new idler arm that's sitting in the back seat or if they would just throw that under the warranty too. :wink: :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:Side note-I asked if they were going to remove or replace the secondary air system. I got the dealer :bs: that "It's illegal for us to just remove it. We must replace it" even though I pointed out the TSB that is attached to my warranty for the Impala 4.3's from Chevy (that Killian96ss provided in another thread) that says to remove the system through the dealer.
The air pump TSB that you refer to is only for the 94-96 B-Body Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster with the LT1 350 engine. :wink: There is no air pump removal TSB for the S-Series, so yes it is illegal to remove the air pump system from our trucks. :wink: :(

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

killian96ss wrote:The air pump TSB that you refer to is only for the 94-96 B-Body Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster with the LT1 350 engine. :wink: There is no air pump removal TSB for the S-Series, so yes it is illegal to remove the air pump system from our trucks. :wink: :(

Steve
In skimming the TSB, I didn't see the 350. :oops:

:lol: So, I figured I'd try to slip it by them seeing that GM said it was OK to remove on the Impala.

Anyway, at 3:15pm I called the dealership to check on the truck. (I typically work 7am to 3:30pm). They were still waiting on the warranty company to give the approval on the work. :?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:In skimming the TSB, I didn't see the 350. :oops:

:lol: So, I figured I'd try to slip it by them seeing that GM said it was OK to remove on the Impala.
The air pump system that I removed from my SS was exactly the same as the one we have on our trucks. :?: The air pump TSB should include all models that came with this same system, unfortunately I think the B-Body platform is the only one so far to get this TSB. :( I have contemplated many times just getting the TSB sticker and seeing if any of the smog techs even notice that the system is gone from my CC. :idea: :lol:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK. :bounce: So I got my truck back last night. :pray: Thank God....My dad's crew cab was killing me in gas....2005 GMC Sierra CC w/V8 10K Towing capacity. I had filled it up Sunday night and :yikes: then needed to fill it up again last night on my way home, (2 fill ups at $50 each in 4 days :!: ).

So, Mr. Goodwrench fixed the tailgate cables, secondary air pump system, replaced intake manifold gaskets to fix oil/coolant leak, replaced driver side window motor, replaced front driver side brake caliper, and an oil change/lube. The only problem that wasn't covered under warranty was the two CV boots that are starting to leak. Total cost on invoice was :yikes: $1458.75, but my out of pocket cost was $36.19 for the oil, filter, and lube :D . Outrageous mark up.. :?: ..for example, $244.58 for a new "GM" brake caliper and $158 for install/bleed labor. :wink: With that mark up, MRS. Goodwrench should be getting some VERY NICE presents for Christmas.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Less than $10 and the CV's are fixed, :pray: hopefully. I bought 2 packets of the CV joint grease at Autozone for about $4, which I think the cashier screwed up. Stopped by Lowe's and bought 2 of the 4" home dryer outlet clamps, (same radiator hose styleclamp, but Autozone had nothing bigger than 3"), for less than $5. I cleaned everything up with papertowels. Then, I put 1 & 1/4 packet or so in the driver side which was the worst, and the remainder in the passenger side with the new clamp on each side. :roll: Everything seems fine, but tomorrow will be the real test driving to work. And the dealership wanted $290 to do basically the samething but with crappier parts. :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good Luck! I believe it will work. I had one clamp on mine until the dealer replaced it under warranty.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I haven't tried a dryer clamp. If it is as durable as an automotive hose clamp , it should work fine. Well done on being inventive and resourceful!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

It is a radiator hose clamp!!! Autozone didn't have any big enough to fit aroung the CV boot. Autozone had the cheap replacement clamps kind of like the stock ones, but after mentioning the regular radiator style clamp I wanted, the Autozone guys mentioned of just going to hardware store and getting a larger style radiator clamp that would be used in joining 4-6" household plumbing, (iron to PVC union). :idea: I found a drier hose clamp that is exactly the same as a radiator clamp but just the right diameter. I didn't even need to trim any excess off after the screw mechanism.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Hello I am a noobie here. I just got my 2003 crew cab a month ago but only now had time to change the oil being on Christmas vacation. I found metal in the oil and found a few things need fixed. One was a leaking inner CV boot on the passenger side. Do you take the boot loose and fill it with the grease or inject it? The hose clamp is a great idea thanks!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wrangler wrote:...Do you take the boot loose and fill it with the grease or inject it?
Welcome! :wave: Glad you made it. Sorry for the hassle.

How much did you lose? If you didn't lose much , I wouldn't worry about it. A little bit can make a real mess. If it has not been leaking for very long, or has not lost much, I would just clean things up and add a clamp.
Injecting grease may not really be an option? It always comes in a packet around here. That would require pushing the boot back and shoving some in.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Wrangler wrote: Do you take the boot loose and fill it with the grease or inject it? The hose clamp is a great idea thanks!!
First off, Welcome to the site! :wave: As for the CV joint, HJ is right. The grease comes in packets, and basically needs shoved in, or as I did. I only pulled the top portion of the boot away to create a space to add the grease. I cut just a small portion of the packet corner and squeezed the grease in like toothpaste. I found it somewhat a PITA to hold the top of the boot back and squeeze the packet, but I got it to work. Made sure boot was back in place all the way around, and installed the new clamp, (which Lowe's calls a dryer clamp but is actually a 4"(?) radiator clamp. The clamp is the perfect size-No trimming needed on possible excess once tightened.

:?: In thinking about the possibilities of injecting CV grease, I came up with a couple ideas :idea: , but I may :crazy: . A mechanic that would deal with CV's several times a year basis might find this helpful, or be able to make something else work. However, I don't think the regular shade tree mechanic would utilize it very much. My thoughts were to get a new grease gun, a clean grease sleave, and fill the sleave with CV grease for "injecting". Just shove the grease gun tip between the top of the CV joint and boot lip, pump grease in, and reclamp. :shrug: It works in my head, but as I said, I may be :crazy: .
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Thanks for the welcome. I doubt it leaked much but there are signs the it is leaking.

The 2003 S-10 I bought needs alot of nickel and dime care, maybe even major engine work from the oil change I just did. :cry: Not sure if it is from abuse or gm slipping on quality for the s-10 since they were replacing them with Canyon/Colorado. The knowledge here on this site will be very useful and appericated.Hopeflly I can offer some knowledge also on things. :nana: