tranny problems

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tranny problems

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!!

My truck doesnt like going into reverse in the morning. If I wait 30 seconds or so reverse seems to catch. Then once its in there, its happy to go into reverse againand again. I've quickly looked for a tranny dipstick. Can anyone point out the dipstick for me?? Are there any other reasons why it doesn't like reverse on a cold morning.
Thanks
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The dip stick is on the left side closer to the firewall. How many miles are on it and have you had a tranny flush and fluid change?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
shakin

Post by shakin »

Mine did this also, I was a quart low on fluid.
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

Thanks for the location of the dipstick, you still need to check when the motor is running right??

I just passed 60000 km so about 40000 miles if my math is correct. I was told about 70000 km for the fluid change, so it hasn't been done yet.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Yes it should be check when the tranny fluid is warm. So do it after driving a short trip.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

thanks for the info, I just noticed last night that I'm running high on my RPMs while cruising down the highway, my oil pressure seems higher than normal also, I am going to look at the tranny fluid today.

thanks again
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

I just got my oil changed, and I checked my tranny fluid level. Everything seems ok. Anyone have any other ideas about my reverse problem, or is the tranny just starting to die??
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It kinda sounds like the reverse valve in the valve-body is sticking when it's cold outside. You might need to get some tranny cleaner that will dissolve ATF sludge and varnish. I think the stuff you need is called seafoam. :? I have never used the stuff, but maybe someone who has can explain the correct process. :wink:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

Has anyone used the seafoam he's talking about?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If it is anything like like their crankcase version it is good stuff!

Sea Foam wrote: Results Used in Automatic Transmission

* Smoothes rough shifting, skip shifting, and slow shifting.
* Removes harmful gum, varnish and moisture deposits from valve bodies, governors and other internal parts.

For Use in Automatic Transmissions

* With transmission at operating temperature, check the fluid level. Add 1/2 to 1 pint SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid. This normally will not overfill the fluid level, however, the fluid level should never exceed the manufacturers recommended level.
* For best results use 1/2 to 1 pint SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE in the transmission fluid prior to a transmission flush or fluid and filter change. Drive at least five miles shifting into all gears. If you are not able to drive the vehicle, shift into all gears for about 3 minutes with the brake or parking brake applied. This will allow SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE to clean transmission valves and parts in each area. When additional cleaning is necessary add 1/2 pint of SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid and change the transmission fluid on a regular service basis.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bigbadbikerdan

Post by bigbadbikerdan »

This could also be caused by a partially clogged filter. This would cause thicker (i.e. colder) fluid to take longer to travel through the valve body. The sea foam works well. It should clear up any problems with a sticking valve body. It will probably help the filter along until it's time for a fluid and filter change. :nana:
[size=75]2003 Crew Cab S-10. All stock (for now)except for a Roady 2 XM receiver.[/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!
great I'll give it a try.
thanks
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

Why not just get a tranny flush done a little early. A fresh batch of ATF and a new filter will most likely clear the problem up. I personally am not a big fan of "liquid fixes" and funky additives.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

loki wrote:Has anyone used the seafoam he's talking about?
I use it as a varnish breaker prior to a transmission flush and filter change.
It really does work well.
Yesterday was the most noticeable difference that I had seen. I am working on a Ford fullsize. The pump barely would push the fluid through the cooler lines. I added the Seafoam TransTune and warmed it up fifteen minutes, then shut it off for half a hour. When I restarted it there was a very noticeable improvement. The flow was much faster.
I don't know what it freed up or cleaned out, but there was a difference.

The fluid exchanger is a way to visually inspect the pump condition as well as the fluid. I have had pretty good luck predicting transmission condition with this method. A transmission in good condition will really "zing" the flow wheels. One that is on its way out will either not move the wheels , or barely turn them.

I don't consider Seafoam TransTune a "liquid fix", but it is a great tool for cleaning the transmission prior to a fluid change.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

I guess you've all convinced me. I just got the oil and transfer case fluid changed so I need to wait about a month until I can afford to change the tranny fluid. It's costing me about 200 bucks for the tranny and filter, I am going to go synthetic fluid, so it's a bit pricey. I'll give the sea foam a day in court before I take it in.
Thanks
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Don't use synthetic tranny fluid! I have had 3 trannys fail in the past as a direct result of using synthetic tranny fluid. It will burn up your clutches and cause your tranny to shift weird in a short amount of time. Just use a good name brand ATF or GM ATF. BTW, I would not drive around for a whole day with the Seafoam in the tranny, because you might end up damaging the clutches. I think you are only supposed to run it for a little while and then do a flush or refill. :wink:

Steve
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!!

I didn't know that about the fluid. Are you sure its from the synthetic fluid.
If youre dead set against it whats the best alternative?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Seafoam TransTune is advertised as an additive and safe for continuous use. A day , week or years SHOULD offer no ill effects.
I do not prefer to run "snake oil" additives, and agree that there may be some disadvantages to synthetics being used where friction is needed.

I like Seafoam for its varnish breaking capabilities, but probably would not run it all the time.

I can be pretty skeptical, so take what I say with a grain of salt ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK