Shield package option

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Detailcrew
Regular
Regular

Shield package option

Post by Detailcrew »

Split topic-HJ

Chevrolet did offer the skid plate package for the crew cabs in 2002 and up as an option. check out a broshure from the 02 year.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Detailcrew wrote:Chevrolet did offer the skid plate package for the crew cabs in 2002 and up as an option. check out a broshure from the 02 year.
Thanks! That is the first word we have ever heard of that. The Blazers did come with them, and although there were rumors. Seems like someone did mention the brochure listing them , but there was never an RPO listed. It may well have been an error in the brochure. The RPO code should have been ZM5, I think?
I have yet to hear of one that did come with them.

If they did come with them, which plates did they get? Composite, or aluminum? Did the option include the fuel tank shield? I have never seen a shield for the plastic fuel tanks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I ordered my 02 and never remember seeing that option, because I would have gotten it. I had 2 blazers before this and had skid plates on both. For some reason I don't have the 02 brochure but I have the 01 and 03, skid plates are listed but not an option for crewcabs.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Detailcrew
Regular
Regular

Post by Detailcrew »

I bought my 02 Crew Cab new in Dec of 01 and grabed a broshure right away. My Crew came fully loaded with the leather interior and all. I was told by the dealer that the only added options for the 02 model year was the power leather seats, and the Sheild package which included: Front diff carrier, transer case and fuel tank and steering linkage composite plates. the dealer told me i could have them added since the truck i bought didnt have that option on it, but it would have cost me an additional $900. or so, so i said forget it, kickin myself now though..lol
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Detailcrew wrote:...I was told by the dealer that the only added options for the 02 model year was the power leather seats, and the Sheild package which included: Front diff carrier, transer case and fuel tank and steering linkage composite plates. the dealer told me i could have them added since the truck i bought didnt have that option on it, but it would have cost me an additional $900...
There indeed was a shield package available. I wonder if that dealer knew this and offered his customers that option?
It would be nice to find that brochure.
$900 does sound excessive! The shield package was really pretty good, but did not include the fuel tank shield.
I would be interested to find out if there is indeed a fuel tank shield available for the plastic fuel tanks.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here Is Some Info Also....

Notice #8 Points To A Gas Tank Skid Plate.....

Now Notice #8 Has Shield And Part Numbers For With Out Or WITH Crew Cab :D GM Parts Direct Has The Shield For $46.00. So Being It's Christmas I'll Be The Guniea Pig On This One And Order It Monday And See What Happens :P . Unless Anyone See's A Reason Why This Is A BAD Idea. Also Note My Crew Is An '03 With The Plastic Tank But I Would'nt Think This Would Make A Difference :?:

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: Ok, slow down a little here. The shields are out there. And many have purchased them before. If you check out our website - Skid plates (shields) you will find all the part numbers and prices.
The shield package - Skid Plate Package was a real bargain since it was cheaper and included all the brackets. However it appears to have been discontinued - GM Shield package 12496888 No Longer Available ?

If you order a shield do not expect to get aluminum just because you specify pre-99 shield. The composite shields replace the aluminum versions. It is a roll of the dice to see what shows up. Mine took more than one try.

The fuel tank shield above is for the steel tank. They can be picked up really inexpensively at a salvage yard. The first gen shields will work too. As I have said before, I have never seen a shield for the plastic tanks, and the tanks do differ. I am not saying they will not work, but I would not bet money that they will. Even though '02 is listed above keep in mind that some of the '02's did get the steel tank. If you do order the fuel tank shield be sure to get the correct front bracket and support (9&10)

A search here for shields will yield lots of information. Keep in mind that the second gen s-10's are becoming more prevalent in the wrecking yards and shields rarely cost more than $15 each. The fronts can be hard to find undamaged though so buying new is a good option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have an '02 with a metal tank. That things looks very much what is under the first 1/4 of my tank and it's plastic, thin plastic not like the composite shields. It's purpose is unknown to me. I could be entirely wrong. I just ran outside to check it. :?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:I have an '02 with a metal tank. That things looks very much what is under the first 1/4 of my tank and it's plastic, thin plastic not like the composite shields. It's purpose is unknown to me. I could be entirely wrong. I just ran outside to check it. :?
Number 7 is indeed the plastic brush shield that the steel tank crews got. Mine had it too. It is removed to install the full steel fuel tank shield.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote::lol: Ok, slow down a little here. The shields are out there. And many have purchased them before. If you check out our website - Skid plates (shields) you will find all the part numbers and prices.
Yep Been There Did That :D I Have All The Aluminum Skid Plates Already On My Crew, The Only Skid Plate I Don't Have Is The Fuel Tank Plate.
HenryJ wrote:If you order a shield do not expect to get aluminum just because you specify pre-99 shield. The composite shields replace the aluminum versions.
I Figured If I Ordered 1 It Would Be Composite Not Aluminum. I Lucked Out And Got The Other Aluminum Plates Off Ebay.
HenryJ wrote:The fuel tank shield above is for the steel tank. They can be picked up really inexpensively at a salvage yard. The first gen shields will work too. As I have said before, I have never seen a shield for the plastic tanks and the tanks do differ. I am not saying they will not work, but I would not bet money that they will. Even though '02 is listed above keep in mind that some of the '02's did get the steel tank. If you do order the fuel tank shield be sure to get the correct front bracket and support (9&10)
So Maybe It Will And Maybe It Wont? Then Does This Hold True For The First Gen Skids Too??

Are There Any Crews With A Plastic Tank That Have A Skid Plate?

:idea: So I'll Do Some More Investigating And See What I Come Up With. I'll Try To Shoot A Pic Of My Tank And You Steel Tank Guys Can See How The Design & Mounting Compares With Yours.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The only way to really tell will be to try it. I have seen both tanks first hand, and on more than one occasion. The plastic tank appears to bulge around the mounting straps more than the steel tank.

All the first gens have the same steel tank as the first few years crew cab had. The only difference in the shields , other than the front bracket, is a 45 degree relief in the rear outer mounting foot. The first gen shields will fit though. The front brackets differ since they had a an open frame on the first gen and ours are boxed. The first gen bar can be shortened and made to fit, but using the second gen bracket is a must.

These shields fit pretty tight. There may not be room to squeeze the plastic tank in there. I would also be a little worried about a rock wedging inbetween and rubbing a hole in the plastic tank This would not be an issue for steel to steel. For a steel tank the risk would be to dent it permanently or puncture. This is not an so much an issue with the plastic tank. While it may be possible to puncture the plastic tank, I would not think it would be as easy to do as the steel tank and plastic denting usually pops back out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ,

So In Your Honest Opinion With A Plastic Tank I Would Be Better Off Skipping The Fuel Tank Skid And Putting My Money Toward A Different Mod? I Am Working On Giving The Crew A Lift Here In The Future Also.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

In all honesty the fuel tank shield would probably be one of the last mods to do. With a plastic tank it would probably be less important than if you have the steel tank.
I have seen plastic tanks take a horrible hit and bounce right back. One truck hit a rock hard enough to break/cut the front strap :shock: I replaced the strap, and even though there was a pretty good scrape/gouge in the plastic, it has never had a problem since.

I really would like to know if the shield fits the plastic tank, but as you can see I have reservations.

I would try it if I happened across a cheap shield in the salvage yard. $15 for a returnable shield is not a bad way to go. As for spending $46 + shipping? I would use the money elsewhere.

Protecting the front, engine, and transfercase are absolutely needed for any offroad use. If you regularly rock crawl and skid your fuel tank then the fuel tank shield may be a higher priority. I'm glad I have mine, but may never REALLY need it.

Use that money toward the servos and longer pin. They really are a valuable improvement to the transmission which needs all the help it can get. JMO.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

:thumb: Thanks For The Info & Your Opinion