2001 ZR2 ?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

2001 ZR2 ?

Post by Tribecrist »

Did they make a ZR2 in 2001?

Mark
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yes - ZR2 was produced from the 1994 intro of the 2nd Gen, thru the end of it's model run in 2004.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

2001 S-10 crew cab ZR2???

Mark
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Tribecrist wrote:2001 S-10 crew cab ZR2???

Mark
Unfortunately, no. :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not a crew cab.

There was a "1999 Baja S-10 Crew Cab" custom built for the SEMA show. You may have seen pictures of it.

ZR2 is an RPO that was not available for the crew cabs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Didn't the 2nd gens go until 2005 ? because you can now get a 05 blazer for like 15grand !
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Well heck I think I will make my own 2001 S-10 crew cab ZR2 .I will use the dark and light grey ZR2 bedside stickers.

Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tribecrist wrote:...I will use the dark and light grey ZR2 bedside stickers.
:!: [Yoda voice]Stickers do not a ZR2 make.[/voice]

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HenryJ wrote:
Tribecrist wrote:...I will use the dark and light grey ZR2 bedside stickers.
:!: [Yoda voice]Stickers do not a ZR2 make.[/voice]
LOL @ HJ - you mean my NOS stickers don't make my truck go faster?

Tribe - in case you aren't aware - the ZR2 is more than an appearance package, while the ZR5 package on the Crew Cabs is just an appearance Package.

The ZR2 Truck, Extended cab, and the BlaZeR2 all had modified frames that basically moved the suspension moutning points 3" to give a ZR2 a taller ride height, heavy duty billstein shocks, skidplates, mandatory 3.73 gears, and 31" Tires. The front end was also wider by about 2", and the rear axle was a unit not found under any other S-series that I'm aware of - the rear axle was again about 2" wider, and instead of the little 7.625" 10-bolt rear end, it moved up to a 10 Bolt 8.5" ring that is more comparable to a fullsize GM 1500 Pickup.

Due to all of the differences in the frame, and track - you can't just make a Non- ZR2 truck into a ZR2 - all of the important differences aren't bolt-on.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

the above is true , but you could make a look alike zr2 easily and you could make a s10crew or blazer better that a zr2 pretty easy to .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:the above is true , but you could make a look alike zr2 easily and you could make a s10crew or blazer better that a zr2 pretty easy to .
Yes, but it is a slap in the face to badge it as a ZR2, when we know that it is not.
Now if you go to the trouble of adding all the components, including the chassis...you might have a case to argue ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

well ya don't put zr2 badges on it . Thats like lowering a F150 and calling it a Lightning .
I am trying to make a 4dr " zr2" but it will not have the zr2 badges because it will be better than a zr2 , hopefully .
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

this is why some of us have added the 2in BL , spacers in the rear and some in front and run larger tires then stock
I now sit as high as the ZR2 and my track is really close also :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Having owned a ZR2 I know it would be a slap in the face :!:

I parked nose to nose to a ZR2 last week and unless the parking lot was uneven, I was actually a tad taller :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yup I think im taller then a stock ZR2
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Sorry guys - I wasn't meaning to say we couldn't make a ZR2 quality ride out of our trucks - as far as I know the rear axle is the only real major difference in drivetrain.

I've do the BL/spacers/shackles thing too - I love the look of the ZR2 - and wish they had ever made one in a 4 Door Blazer like mine, but oh well, I'm getting mine as close as I can.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Wow.. you guys are right.

I wish in 2001 they would have made the ZR2

I will make it close as i can with this sites help.w/o the stickers of course.

Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This was the image that inspired me-

I have done what I can to achieve this goal. I'm not quite there, but who knows maybe I never will?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

The zr2 has some upgrades that our reg trucks may never see , such as larger wheelbearings and hubs and of course the larger 8.25ring gear in the back .
BTW , are the skid plates on the zr2 made of metal ? because i have skid plates all under my truck but they are made of this high strength 1/4" plastic .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:...are the skid plates on the zr2 made of metal ? because i have skid plates all under my truck but they are made of this high strength 1/4" plastic .
The shields were all made of composite starting in 1998. Prior to that they were aluminum. This is for all the s-series as far as I know.
BTW, remember that we found out the front steering shield w/oil door is different for the RPO ZR2, and will not fit a non-ZR2.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

so this composite is stonger than aluminum ? Did all s series 4x4's have the underside protectors ?or was it a option . Because i ahve a 4dr 4x4 and it has 3.73's and the same protection underneath that the zr2 has .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They were an option on pick-ups and Blazers. Included in the RPO ZR2 package. Not available for crew cabs.

Composite is lighter, quieter and probably cheaper.
The aluminum shields may be more abrasive resistant. Other than that they may have equal protection qualities.

The composite engine shield (second one back of the four shields) is an inch thick. This would definately protect the cast aluminum oil pan.
I would say that the aluminum transfercase shield would probably be the shield of choice for it's abrasion resistance, and increased ground clearance.

A search for shields on this forum, should offer a wealth of information.

- ThunderII KE7CSK